jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    --Srry posted in the wrong thread---
    Anyone not like a certain item on the pizza?
    Was thinking just basic type (peporoni, suasage, and a mix of veggies and meat)?

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Sounds good to me...

I nearly forgot about this LOL. I should really give you my cell number Jedi.

I'll be there a little early to help set up and what not.

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    Sounds good. I have my Icom V/UHF handheld and a Yaesu that has seen better days.

I'll have my Wouxun dual-band HT, and an old Icom 2-meter. I MIGHT be able to find my old boat-anchor Heath HW-16 CW rig in the attic. If there's any downloads you want to send home with attendees, I can burn multiple CD's.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I'll have my Wouxun dual-band HT, and an old Icom 2-meter. I MIGHT be able to find my old boat-anchor Heath HW-16 CW rig in the attic. If there's any downloads you want to send home with attendees, I can burn multiple CD's.

I think if we can give a working demonstration of a repeater or two and the features of the radios we should be ok. I am not completely up to speed on all the FCC rules since I'm a bloody foreigner.

I don't think you'll need to go digging in the attic for the boat anchor. :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thank you to all that attended and to our instructors!
    It was a very informative session.
    48 hours boys & girls to put your AARs in here before I have this thread closed.
    -Jedi

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks Jediagh for hosting the event, and NapalmFTW for your presentation. It was a good meeting, and a pleasure to meet everyone. Now get those radios and your ham tickets!

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Thanks Jedi for the pizza and thanks to your long suffering wife ;) for her hospitality and putting up with all of us guys.

I took a lot away from last night. Number one I think a nice power point would be better and also I think more practical demonstrations. Hopefully I won't be crapping my pants about talking in front of You People next time :D

I'll also see if I can find a way of doing some practice tests if we have another meeting.

Also - if you guys don't wish to take the ham exam right away, the radios we've ordered won't be useless. I can program them up with the MURS channels:
    Multi-Use Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's unlicenced so you can legally go on there and transmit (with a limit of 2W).

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    NapalmFTW -- I don't want to be a "stick in the mud", but I don't think you can program those radios to operate outside the amateur band and still be FCC legal. I'm under the impression to operate on another band, the radio has to be 'type tested' for that band. Something to think about; just because you can, does not make it legal. Just my :twocents:..... Greg, K9TLA

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    True and of course I would never encourage anyone to violate type approval laws relating to the use of non-type approved radios on the MURS band.

I would reccommend anyone wishing to use the radios we've done a group buy on to check they have the correct FCC type approval for use on MURS.

IANAL :)

'UZB.

edit: In practical terms, be sensible with the radios, don't draw attention to yourselves and using them on MURS will be fine. But... I didn't say that.

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Not to put my foot into it but I didn't think there were all that many purpose built MURS band radios available to the market... kind of making the band a more or less homebuild market...

FRS/GMRS are all over the place...

Here's a nifty product for more secure close range coms, and cheap and free usage licensing too... Thier the Tri-Square 900MHZ Frequency hopping digital packet radios and a set of these normally go for about 90.00...

TriSquare - 2-way Radio - Beyond FRS Beyond GMRS eXRS (TM) eXtreme Radio Service

Sorry I couldn't attend yesterday, but you guys wouldn't of wanted me there with the Flu I'm just getting over with me and all....

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well Veronica is wanting to come out and shoot at one of the next Winamac shoots... Sorry guy's but the INGO staff won't let me post any pictures of her for you to drool over as all my images of her have the Gunbunnies logo on them... She said she had a itchy finger and wanted to make some noise on a firing range.... Oh she said she was interested in a good first aid class too.... Just saying....

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Not to put my foot into it but I didn't think there were all that many purpose built MURS band radios available to the market... kind of making the band a more or less homebuild market...

FRS/GMRS are all over the place...

Here's a nifty product for more secure close range coms, and cheap and free usage licensing too... Thier the Tri-Square 900MHZ Frequency hopping digital packet radios and a set of these normally go for about 90.00...

TriSquare - 2-way Radio - Beyond FRS Beyond GMRS eXRS (TM) eXtreme Radio Service

Sorry I couldn't attend yesterday, but you guys wouldn't of wanted me there with the Flu I'm just getting over with me and all....

There aren't many MURS radios out there as far as I can tell. I have heard of people using converted cop radios, military radios etc. Some people run encryption on those, especially at ham fests/conventions etc. I couldn't condone any illegal use of radios, or intice anyone to break and applicable laws or regulations laid down by the federal government..........

Yes, we voted that you bring an aforementioned gun bunny with you next time. She will be hunted to extinction by all of us geeky/nerdy/gun nuts of course but that's the price of being a woman at a gun range.

THey're always out numbered.

edit: those FHSS radios are cool too. Quasi-military tech. I like it. I used to experiment with all kinds of stuff when I used to have my own electronics workshop back in Blighty.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom