NWI Gunsmiths? Need barrel/flash supressor Install (AR-15)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Hi all,

Going to pick up my barrel from Front Towards Enemy Firearms (an INGO supporter!) tomorrow and I'm hashing back and forth trying to do the barrel install and flash supressor install myself.

While the installs themselves arent tricky, I think it will be considering I do not own a vice, receiver block, or torque wrench. I'd feel a lot more comfortable having someone with the proper tools do the install since I have range trip this Saturday and can't afford me doing something stupid like cracking an upper on accident :)

Anyone know of a good gunsmith or fellow INGO'er in NWI that has the tools and would do a barrel and flash supressor install? Feel free to respond or PM me if so :D. Anyone that has a 300 Blackout headspace gauge would be a +1, but I think its unlikely I'd run into an issue (Noveske barrel, BCM bolt).

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    perhaps ZRTS could help you. they are an ingo advertiser here. and the reviews i hear on the work is excellent. located near lafayette.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Matt at Front towards Enemy can point you in the right direction. Whatever you do though- DO NOT USE D&D WEAPONWORKS in Demotte. I repeat DO NOT use him. This guy is a total hack! I took my AK there over a year ago for a barrel replacement and continue to get the run around with excuse after excuse on why it's not done.
    I've also seen a Benelli that left his shop for a cleaning that looked like he used a pair of vice grips to disassemble the weapon.
    Good luck

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Eep. I'll keep that in mind. Matt has been really helpful and has been following up with me ever since the barrel was ordered and comming in, I'll hit him up. Otherwise, any other recommendations in the NWI area?

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    Sound to me like the bolt carrier may not going into full battery. With the upper swung down from the lower the bolt carrier should fully lock into the upper. With the carrier fully seated in the upper pull the charge handle slightly back to unlock the carrier then push back into. You should hear a snap (locking lugs fully engaging) if not you may have fouling in chamber locking area. A good cleaning may fix this problem but out of battery ignitions are very dangerous. Tula ammo shoots very dirty, try some Winchester white box and see. Primer strikes need to be consistent for optimum ignition with any ammo you use. If you can find another firing pin of known good you may compare the over all length
    Good luck and let us know

iDominate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Demotte
    Matt at Front towards Enemy can point you in the right direction. Whatever you do though- DO NOT USE D&D WEAPONWORKS in Demotte. I repeat DO NOT use him. This guy is a total hack! I took my AK there over a year ago for a barrel replacement and continue to get the run around with excuse after excuse on why it's not done.
    I've also seen a Benelli that left his shop for a cleaning that looked like he used a pair of vice grips to disassemble the weapon.
    Good luck

That is good to know! I always wondered about that place since I drive past it quite a bit. Thanks for the info.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    As an update, I was able to install the barrel and flash supressor myself using some wood blocks and a vice. I put 100 rounds through the rifle with no issues, however after the range session i noticed the handguard had a little play in it.

After further inspection, it appears the barrel nut connecting the free float handguard was able to be loosened by hand. I've ripped the rifle apart and am now working to get the flash supressor off.

I'm thinking I did not torque down the barrel nut enough, and this time I'll probably use a little blue locktite to get it in there. I should be able to get it worked out tonight...will update.

In the interim, since I have a shoot on Saturday, if anyone has a smith available tomorrow or if you're really great with AR's, hit me up. Will pay for the time, and I have the required wrenches and tools with exception of vice/viceblock/torque wrench.

Thanks!

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Update and question - I have the upper completely disassembled now and have a quick question on barrel nut torque.

I understand you should go hand tight and then to the next gas tube hole. My issue is that when i get it solid hand-tight, putting a little force into it with bare hands, I have perfect alignment of that gas tube hole.

Should I still continue to tighten until the next hole? I don't want to run into the same issue I had before where I have a loose barrel nut. Should I just blue-locktite it and call it a day?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    torque is between 30 and 80 ft pounds.....hand tight isn't going to cut it.

Tighten and loosen nut several times, use long handle on wrench. Tighten final time and then to the next notch in the nut. Use a cheater if you have to.

BE VERY CAREFUL using wood blocks in a vice....seen uppers crushed into useless pieces of trash.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    As an update, I ended up getting it assembled. I was initially worried about snapping the upper becuase I was improvising using wood blocks and not a real viceblock. I figured if it snapped I'd be out $100 and then I'd go buy the right tools.

I ended up cranking it down hard and it feels solid. Likewise for the flash supressor.

Lesson learned: Even when you crank down by hand and the gas port lines up perfectly, still crank it down... it doesnt snap as easily as you think it might. It feels uncomfortable to put so much force into it, but it eventually gets where you need it.

Rifle is 100% assembled - thanks~

Top Bottom