• How many do you reload per year?

• Total voters

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I might be around the $170 or $180 per thousand on my .45 rounds. 200 grain jacketed flat point from Montana Gold, 6.8 grains of Unique and CCI primers...

Probably around $100/K on the 9mm with the 124 grain FMJ 9mm 5.5 grains Unique and CCI primers...doing this off the top of my head but I think those numbers would be close.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I might be around the $170 or $180 per thousand on my .45 rounds. 200 grain jacketed flat point from Montana Gold, 6.8 grains of Unique and CCI primers...

Probably around $100/K on the 9mm with the 124 grain FMJ 9mm 5.5 grains Unique and CCI primers...doing this off the top of my head but I think those numbers would be close.

Where you getting bullets that cheap? they are up quite a bit.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I'm at about $130/1000 on 9mm, using Power Pistol and 124gr Hornady bullets.

Looks like I better shop around a little more. You both are at or below what I'm figuring for 9mm and I am using plated while you are using jacketed...

All include using Winchester primers and bullets bought in bulk and all shipping is figured in

9mm $130.00/1000 using 124gr Berrys FP and Unique

9mm $78.00/1000 using Dardas 122 gr FP cast and unique

.45 ACP $180.00/1000 using Rainiers 230 gr RN and unique

.45 ACP $135.00/1000 using Dardas or MBC 200 Gr SWC and Unique

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I misspoke earlier. My cost for BULLETS was $132. Add another $28 for primers and $12 for powder (per thousand), so $172/1000 for the 9mm loads I use. Not as good as I thought. :facepalm:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'm doing 9mm for $120/k.
    With 115gn RN FMJ $90/k from an INGO member
    CCI primers $20/k from an INGO member
    win231 $15/lb or $10/k from big r and 1lb does about 1500rds for me at 4.3gn

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    They are up a bit but the last time I bought some I got 200 grain .45 for $157/K and it gets cheaper if you buy per case ( it is now $164/K if you just buy per box of a thousand)

9mm is $116/k by the thousand but The full case of 3750 bullets is $317 putting the bullets themselves at a shade over $0.08 each.

Montana Gold Bullet, Incorporated - Kalispell, Montana

Graf's will have great sales on 5K primers getting them for around $0.02 each or so and buying powder in minimum 4# kegs will help a lot, too.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I went with 2000-5000. I've not been reloading for a full year yet, so I estimated what I thought I would reload in a calendar year. Since the early part of last Fall, I've gone through almost three 1000 count boxes of primers, but I figure I'll slow way down when the weather gets nice.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    OK, with 93% of precincts reporting in (well, 93 votes) we can see some interesting trends in the volume of ammo being loaded. Keeping in mind that we are taking this poll in a reloading forum, I still have to say that I'm surprised to see just how many rounds most of you are putting together each year! I thought I was loading a lot of rounds, but as it turns out, I just load a "few" rounds for a larger variety of cartridges. It seems many of the respondents to this poll load for just 2 or 3 cartridges, but load a LOT of rounds for them.

A full 87% of the people who voted load more than 1,000 rounds per year, with 73% loading more than 2,000 rounds. While this survey is as unscientific as it gets, that's still a lot of ammo being put together. I'm proud of you guys! I can honestly say that throughout the 25 years I've been reloading, most years I seated less than 500 bullets. That is because I lived where you can use REAL rifles for deer hunting and all of my reloading was for center-fire cartridges used for big game hunting. It wasn't until I moved to Indiana 12 years ago that I started loading straight-walled pistol rounds. Even now, my family and I just don't shoot very much, compared to many of the respondents.

I wish I could see the results of a similar poll from a place like Montana or Texas, where they are not hamstrung by what cartridges they are allowed to hunt deer with. Growing up in California, the people I knew who reloaded were primarily doing it for better centerfire rifle performance. Back then, what little pistol or small rifle we shot (30 carbine and 223) was all store-bought ammo. We didn't mess with reloading those because we shot very little pistol and the surplus small rifle stuff was SO cheap...it just wasn't worth reloading. Today, however, new manufacture 30 carbine ammo is just ridiculous! If I couldn't reload for 30 carbine and had to buy ammo for it, it would probably never leave the safe. :eek:

I may start a follow-on poll, asking folks how many centerfire, bottle-necked cases they reload each year, not including 223/5.56. I'm sure the numbers would be a lot lower and I'd get a whole lot fewer responses. Still, very interesting stuff and I thank you all for chiming in! :)

Jason

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm only loading four calibers at the moment, and they are all for pistol. I just don't shoot enough rifle to start loading for it. My number of reloads was on the higher side of the poll, but I am fortunate enough to be able to walk out my back door and shoot whenever I please. I wonder if the folks who were on the lower end are limited to mainly firing ranges or shooting on other peoples property.

It's a neat poll. Glad it was started.

trip007

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010

I voted 2k - 5k but my numbers vary each year. All my reloading is done onan RL550B. I reload for .223/5.56, 454, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 357 Mag, some 38 Spl,40 S&W and I just ordered a caliber conversion kit for 9mm. I enjoyreloading and the cost saving is definitely a plus.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm only loading four calibers at the moment, and they are all for pistol. I just don't shoot enough rifle to start loading for it. My number of reloads was on the higher side of the poll, but I am fortunate enough to be able to walk out my back door and shoot whenever I please. I wonder if the folks who were on the lower end are limited to mainly firing ranges or shooting on other peoples property.

It's a neat poll. Glad it was started.

Dr. M.

I also have a 100 yard range in the back yard, but I load for 20-odd cartridges and my shooting is 90% rifle rounds. Up until my son got interested in shooting pistol, I didn't shoot enough of them to reload for it. Interesting to the see the similarities and differences! :)

Top Bottom