• ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    The school that Obama sends his children to have had armed Securty for years. Thats where the Washington elte have been sending their kids.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not saying that I disagree with the content of the ad and the sentiment it represents. But I work in an industry with a LOT of middle of the road dems and they do not have the same viewpoint we do.

Just saying I would like to have the NRA rise above the petty tactics being used by the anti2A crowd. Elevate the message, educate the masses, and focus on the positive things we all stand for. Don't make it about "them."

In other words, you are saying that we should do the things that led to us repetitively getting our asses handed to us? The leftists left the door standing wide open and the only way to get a point across is to give them the same smackdown we let them give us over and over while we said, "We don't really agree with them, but why don't you come over for a visit and we will teach you how to avoid shooting yourself in foot if you ever have possession of a gun."

Training is a good thing, but it is a sorry excuse for a political tool. Attack ads work, which is why the left has been using them on us for decades. They have reached a point at which their narrative doesn't even make sense AND YOU ARE SAYING WE SHOULD NOT CALL THEM OUT ON IT????????

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Guys, I'm not sure why this video wouldn't persuade somebody outside the choir to rethink the wisdom of gun control.

Why should someone that decides to send their kids to public (or private) schools be resigned to the fact their children shouldn't be allowed the similar protection to that of the president's kids? Admittedly, his kids are a much greater target than some kid of an engineer in Mitchell, IN. But if the parents of my school decide they want to provide commensurate protection as the president's, they should have that right. In my opinion, that is the point of the NRA's commercial.

I think just going to the level of using kids (anyone's kids) as fodder in this debate is the wrong approach. As others have said, elevate the debate, don't even play in the fear game that the gun-control crowd is playing. It shouldn't be a contest of personal attacks and accusations. Go after the the rhetoric, not the leaders personally.

Maybe a better tact would be explaining why the right to bear arms is a right that we all have, whether we choose to exercise that right or not. It's a right just like voting or due process...would anyone give up those rights for some marginal impact on perceived safety? We shouldn't treat the 2A any different.

2ndAmendmentdefender

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indiana
    NRA GONE WILD: Unhinged New Ad, Targets Obama Children...
    VOWS: 'Fight Of The Century'... White House: 'Repugnant, Cowardly'

Above is the Huffington Post headline on their front page.

Obviously Obama can use children for his propaganda but it is called unhinged when the NRA points out the hypocrisy of Obama in the Whitehouse!

Instead of reasoning about the fact that Obama can have armed guards for his kids at school, the peasant children of America are not worthy of the same.

link >>>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

Last edited:

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    It was good in that the NRA most likely didn't spend that much putting it on the sportsman channel, they now get it played free on every news paper/tv channel in the US.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There were armed guards before his daughters got there. I heard the other day that school is now up like 32 armed guards.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is that if the man had and concept of what truth even is, he would think better of trying to tell us that the NRA is off the rails for using the very solution he depends upon himself.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    What does that have to do with anything? The point is that if the man had and concept of what truth even is, he would think better of trying to tell us that the NRA is off the rails for using the very solution he depends upon himself.

That fact negates the argument that the presidents kids are in need of special measures and that's why the guards, it's a good counter point.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I caught a few minutes of Rush today and its where I heard about the ad at. He pointed out that if they are off their rockers about it then they know its effective.

I thought it was good. People are going to take what they want out of it. My Brother in law who is anti-gun will be pissed because we dared to mention his kids. To someone just loosely reading headlines...it may make them stop and think.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    The next commercial should be about potentially unemployed firearms manufacturers. We should tell the truth about how ridiculous gun bans will cause the unemployment rate rise, cause small businesses to close, create homeless families and starving children. Its time to pull out the stops and stoop to their level.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    In other words, you are saying that we should do the things that led to us repetitively getting our asses handed to us? The leftists left the door standing wide open and the only way to get a point across is to give them the same smackdown we let them give us over and over while we said, "We don't really agree with them, but why don't you come over for a visit and we will teach you how to avoid shooting yourself in foot if you ever have possession of a gun."

Training is a good thing, but it is a sorry excuse for a political tool. Attack ads work, which is why the left has been using them on us for decades. They have reached a point at which their narrative doesn't even make sense AND YOU ARE SAYING WE SHOULD NOT CALL THEM OUT ON IT????????

We're in the same side here, my friend. I think we just come at this issue from different perspectives. I spend a lot of time traveling the US, Canada, and overseas for work and I talk with people that have very different backgrounds. The angry gun clinging white guy picture is a favorite stereotype of theirs. They will attempt to use this ad to,reinforce it. It may feel good to get a jab back at the other side, but I can guarantee you it will not change lot of minds. You may not see it that way but I have talked with dozens of people today that do see it that way.

And BTW, the NRA suffers from a serious image issue. There are millions of gun owners who do not support the NRA because of the public perception of what the NRA represents. Many have come running back in the past month as they fear their pmags and ARs were going to be banned.

We are on the right side. If you read much about winning the hears and minds in Afghanistan ("The Heart and The Fist" is an excellent read) you'll understand where I am coming from.

Having said that...yes....the jab felt good.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We're in the same side here, my friend. I think we just come at this issue from different perspectives. I spend a lot of time traveling the US, Canada, and overseas for work and I talk with people that have very different backgrounds. The angry gun clinging white guy picture is a favorite stereotype of theirs. This ad reinforces it. It may feel good to get a jab back at the other side, but I can guarantee you it will not change lot of minds. You may not see it that way but I have talked with dozens of people today that do see it that way.

And BTW, the NRA suffers from a serious image issue. There are millions of gun owners who do not support the NRA because of the public perception of what the NRA represents. Many have come running back in the past month as they fear their pmags and ARs were going to be banned.

We are on the right side. If you read much about winning the hears and minds in Afghanistan ("The Heart and The Fist" is an excellent read) you'll understand where I am coming from.

Having said that...yes....the jab felt good.

I just don't see how demonstrating that Obama & Co. is trying to tell us that doing the complete opposite of what they do to protect their own families is 'best' for us can miss. Would you trust your doctor after he prescribed a treatment to you that he told you he would never use himself? Same thing here. My guess is that people who can't grasp that are unreachable. Besides, why would they think it acceptable for one side to use children as props but horrendously wrong for the other to even acknowledge that they are part of the equation?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If you go at the anti-gunners with polite ads they just ignore them and say we are crazy, if you go at them with an ad like in the OP they say we are crazy.

Now I am wondering what point I was trying to make.......

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you go at the anti-gunners with polite ads they just ignore them and say we are crazy, if you go at them with an ad like in the OP they say we are crazy.

Now I am wondering what point I was trying to make.......

Maybe that if the hard left is going to scream that we are crazy in response to anything we do other than capitulate, maybe the thing to do is amp of the sheep's emotions our way and turn the tables on them?

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Mssr. LaPierre is jus as bad ....

.... as ANY pi$$-poor senator or congressman. A fortune in benefits, life-time security,, no bills to pay -- the serfs pay it all. How did such a douche-nozzle get into his position, anyway? BTW, I am a Lifetime member, so I can ***** all I want to. Where are the other 3,999,999 members who want to keep their guns? Speak out !! I think that a very low-key, simple advert with the supposed "words of our salvation from the gun-epidemic" followed with The phrase, "You are lying", and then the proof that they are lying would be much more efficient. Rub Ø's nose in it and he may clean up his act. Tell Truth.
    That's not really a "lol" to me actually. I don't want the NRA to preach to the choir <snip> I get that they need to rally the base and all, but a better attempt to win the public opinion battle wouldn't hurt. Individuals on youtube have outclassed the NRA in response to the Newton tragedy, it's kind of sad really.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I........... Go after the the rhetoric, not the leaders personally..............

It is going after the rhetoric. They say control/ban guns and poo poo the NRA suggestion of armed security in schools. In the meantime they have guns protecting their school and kids.. That destroys their rhetoric...

Top Bottom