NRA Truth About Gun Owners Poll - is this for real?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I received the TAG poll mailing from the NRA of which I am certain most of you are familiar. I am always happy to support gun rights by presenting my pro gun views to our state politicians. Is this something that the NRA really sends to our Congressmen? The reason I ask is because some of the biased wording makes it hard for me to believe that this poll can be taken seriously. In particular, question number 11:

"Will you make a much-needed contribution to NRA-ILA today, so that we can defend your Second Amendment freedoms in Congress, and help elect pro-freedom candidates in this year's critical congressional elections?"​

I understand the NRA's need for funding, but including this as a poll question makes me wonder whether this is really a tool to inform our political leaders or mere junk mail. It could also be damaging to the NRA because although I do send them an extra few bucks every now and then, I'm not ready to do so today. Is this going to affect the poll results?

Do you all feel the same about this? And can someone tell me if this "poll" is a legitimate reporting tool that the politicians review?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is a fund raising letter. Wayne LaPierre is where he is because he is very good at fund raising.

If you want to help pull the wagon, thank you. If you think it has any other purpose than fund raising, you are mistaken.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Look at it this way. If it weren't for the NRA, we would be all carrying slingshots.

Whatever they do, however they do it, they see it as necessary. If you have questions, call and ask them.

Asking on an Internet forum will not answer your concerns. You will get 100 different answers from 100 different people, whilst only one can answer you correctly. The NRA.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have answered 'yes' before and then put a $0 amount on the next page.

I donate when I can...couldn't at that time. Found it annoying way to get you to donate. But by putting '0' the congressman will see 'x%' were willing to donate...not the amount.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Why not just donate directly to the candidates that are proving themselves by being in the fight for your gun rights here at home? You think they're not being targeted by anti-gun groups that see them as a direct threat?
    My :twocents:

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for verifying that Kirk. It disappoints me that whenever I send then an extra $20 or so they spend in on postage to send me deceptive junk mail like this.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    In addition to fundraising it could be used to generate some statistical information.
    If 4 million NRA members respond to the survey and say they'll chip in $20 that equates to $80 million.
    What percentage of NRA members are contributing or responding compared to how many they mailed.
    What percentage of NRA members are contributing $20, $40, $60, $100 or more?
    How many respond via the internet?(I try to save a stamp and respond online)

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I filled the poll out and sent $20. I don't know if it reaches our reps but it definitely doesn't hurt to do it

Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    Why not just donate directly to the candidates that are proving themselves by being in the fight for your gun rights here at home? You think they're not being targeted by anti-gun groups that see them as a direct threat?
    My :twocents:
    That's what I tell every Republican Party fund-raiser when I get calls asking for donations. I'll send a little money to Ted Cruz or Mike Lee, maybe some others like them, but not one cent for the GOP until they start representing ME.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I wouldn't look at it as junk mail. The NRA does much invaluable work to support our 2A rights, and the money they receive from contributions supports those efforts. Contribute as you see fit.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If you have the money - Send It.......
    It will go to better use with them than that hooker you were thinking of.......and cheaper in the long run. :n00b:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    It bugs me too but since I can't buy .22's nor the powder I like to reload I might as well take some of the savings and send a donation in. If we all just sent in the what we would have spent on a brick of .22's a couple of times a year then the NRA would be in better shape to take on Bloomberg & friends. We all need to start putting a little money where our mouths are whether it be donating to the NRA, GOA, SAF, your local State pistol & rifle associations or any other pro gun rights organizations you choose or we'll lose even more.

If you don't think it necessary just look at how Obama & Company are rewriting the rules in an end run around congress. In the most recent reinterpretation of the regs, BATF is now denying the importation of 5.45x39 surplus ammo stating it's armor piercing since someone some where has made a pistol chambered for it. https://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/ . If we don't fight them now then there will not be anything left to fight for later. (Ok I'm now stepping off the soapbox)

Top Bottom