• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If they don't propose a better solution, then one can only glean that they are fighting for the status quo. Face it, the NRA is on the wrong side of this one.

By the way, my local Humane Society keeps animals as long as they have room for them. They are not "rescued only to be put down" as some have stated. This statement if factually incorrect, and the implication even less so.

the HUMANE Society is simply a political operation, just like all others. they profess something, but often violate what they claim.

With that said, I have had 3 dogs in my adult life. Two of them (including the current one) were animal rescues.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    This is not true.
    Check on the statistics, I KNOW most of the animals taken in to the "humane shelters" are killed. My wife was an officer with the local shelter and my best Friend managed it for several years - He was also the Kennel manager for the Lafayette shelter for some years. They (my wife and friend) tried very hard to have animals placed, including working with out of state groups, like Greyhound rescue and others. The pure truth is the majority of the animals had to be "put down" due to space and other constraints. The "Humane Society" is a farce, most of its funding is used to hire lobbyists to work against Hunting laws, Farmers raising meat animals, Breeders, confinement feeding operations, etc. As has been posted their goal is to prevent all hunting, confined feeding operations, Confined egg producing operations, slaughter house operations, and meat eating.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This is not true.

My buddy and I rescued two dogs this past deer season that had wandered into our hunting area. They were lost and frightened, and both dogs parked their butts at the bottom of my friend's stand, they were lost and so happy to see a human being. A lot of deer hunters would not be so kind, but my buddy brought the two dogs to my truck at the parking area, where I found them all at the end of the day. We tried some nearby houses, but nobody owned the dogs. Another hunter in the parking area ended up taking one of the dogs and left his name at the check-in station in case the owner showed up. We left the other dog with the property manager who has a kennel for turning in lost dogs. He said if nobody showed up within 3 days he would take the dog to the humane society. The humane society will euthanize the dog if nobody adopts it within a certain time frame. There are no-kill shelters, but the humane society is not one of them. My buddy ended up going back the next day and took the dog home. He still has it.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I see the majority of people in this thread are talking about human societies and shelters. You are all completely incorrect. HSUS does NOT operate any humane societies or local animal shelters in the US. HSUS is a lobbyist organization. The only facilities they operate are a handful "ranches", and "wildlife sanctuaries"

Quit talking about animal shelters, and how they do this and that. Because you are not even making sense, the argument here is about HSUS.

HSUS does consult with humane societies and animal shelters if they are asked to do so, but they do not run any of them.

Animal shelters and clinics are ran by non profit organizations or by your local/county government. They are not ran by the HSUS. If you have a problem with humane societies, talk to your officials, or the people that run the shelter.

HSUS is a terrible organization that people donate to because they think it goes towards shelters. HSUS uses those funds to promote lobbyist activities. There really is no need to have them around. I am not meaning to defend HSUS by what was posted above, but it is really annoying to see people talking about animal shelters and how terrible they are, but thinking HSUS is the organization that owns them LOL.

As far as regulations go, Hamilton county already requires all dogs to be neutered by 6 months of age, per county ordinance. Otherwise you need a breeders permit. They also require a rabies shot by 3 months of age. Last time I heard the breeders permit did not come with a fee though. It is simply a form of deterrence.

Puppy mills are not "back yard breeders" they are two separate things. Puppy mills are places that have hundreds of dogs in little cages. People who breed their family dog once every couple years is not a puppy mill, they are just dumb.... There are many screenings and requirements that have to be performed. 99% of family pets are not qualified. I don't think the NRA is supporting puppy mills, they are just anti animal legislation, because those "reputable breeders" who breed and sell hunting and show dogs will be affected by the same legislation that prevents puppy mills.

If you want to donate to lobbyists donate to USARK or some other lobbyist organization that does it for a good reason.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    puppy mills

the problem is with the amount of animals left unmedicated and flea/tick/heartworm infested. the spread of infection is our issue. if people would take responsibility for the animals they take upon themselves and get them vaccinated and keep parasites at bay we could control disease a lot easier. I understand that you may not have the needs to do so but then dont turn around and get more animals or make more kids. its simply a matter of taking care of your responsibilities.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Good clarification 92thostro.
    +1

HSUS is a radical animal rights organization that makes PETA members look like Ted Nugent. They consider people breeding their own family dog to be running a "puppy mill".

They chose their organization's name specifically to mislead you into thinking that they are connected with local humane societies. They are not. Not one thin dime donated to them makes it to animal shelters.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom