• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    jdhaines, where do you instruct and which NRA classes have you taken? Are you certified to teach all of them? Can you provide some specifics about where they fall short or describe which techniques are antiquated?

I only instruct in our little training group when it makes sense for me to. I teach friends, family, and anyone else that wants to learn some basic things. I do a small class when there are people that request it that is based on some verbal skills and criminal assault knowledge learned largely from Craig at Shivworks among other places (with his knowledge). There are many people as or better suited to teaching firearm classes and seemingly plenty willing to step up to the plate so I don't try to make it a priority. I'm only certified for basic pistol and personal protection in the home as far as NRA certs. I had planned on getting certified in them all, but stopped after the first. I took the cert. course in Michigan and that is the course for their CCW (PP in the home for a CCW requirement??? One of my major complaints!). I've complained about many things in various posts but I'll throw out onethat sticks in my mind and probably the funniest. PM me if you want more or we can chat a bit.

1) One of many examples showing their bastardization of core principals is their version of the Tueller drill. I've seen some good interpretations of this study, and some bad. Probably the best (I've experienced personally) was by Mercop where we actually had a guy with a rubber knife, marked off 21 feet, and another guy with an airsoft gun. At a visual cue, the knifer tried to stab the shooter and the shooter tried to draw, get off line, and shoot the knifer. Sometimes 21 feet was far enough the shooter won. Sometimes the distance was too close and the knifer was too fast and he won. Seeing the distance, reaction time, a little stress, a little gun fumbling, etc was a really great visualization of the time and space problem of an attacker and a concealed pistol.

The NRA version was simply to stand at low ready, and on the beep of a PAR timer, put two shots into a 8" paper plate at 5 yards and check the time. Mine was .75s I believe. That's it... Really. They talked about doing a drill where a shooter would shoot two shots on a beep. A runner would take off in the opposite direction, drop a sandbag on the first shot, then stop running on the second shot. This would, in theory, show you how far someone can cover. There were some problems with this according to the training staff.
    1. It was far too dangerous to run in the drill because of the concrete floor so we skipped that part.
    2. It was far too dangerous to draw from a holster in the class (remember this is an instructor class!) so we'll start from low ready.
    And things wrong with it according to myself
    1. People don't start and stop running instantaneously.
    2. Shots from low ready come so fast you can't think to drop a sandbag on one and keep running until the second.
    3. I've tried it in person exactly as they stated and the runner hardly takes a step, and drops the sandbag at his feet.
    4. It has nothing to do with time and space relationships.
    5. It does nothing to increase stress
    6. It has nothing to do with drawing or concealment as the originally intended discussion was
    7. It shows them nothing of an attacker encroaching on you
    8. Many more as I'm sure you guys can think of on your own
    I've seen very highly recognized instructors do similar but different abortions of this in other classes. Some have one guy run sideways, some use airsoft pistols but not to the right effect. The NRA guidelines are very strict on teaching the curriculum as written and don't leave almost any room for adding a real and useful version of this drill if you want to follow the letter of the law.

We had students in the class who were trying to learn how to teach other students how to handle a pistol. I was the only person in the class (including the instructor (training counselor in training) and the master training counselor (who did much of the teaching) who had ever even read the articles by Tueller. They had no idea what it was about, or where 21 feet even came from. The students (instructors to be) got nothing out of it, and were more confused about what had just transpired than when they started.

You can imagine how much further that whole mess got watered down when these soon to be certified instructors had to teach that little training byte to their future students.

2) I was almost kicked out of the class for handing the training counselor a blue gun to use for demonstrating a technique for using cover. This person moved away from it like it was a snake going to bite her. She said that you are never to point anything resembling a gun towards anyone in a class. Apparently one instructor had lost their credentials recently for standing behind a bookcase and pointing a "finger gun" at the students while explaining the fine points of using cover. It was all I could do not to laugh in their face while I returned the dangerous blue gun (solid plastic) to my bag. I still wonder how they delivered that without cracking a smile.

The fact that I've heard secondhand that other students in classes with the same training counselor I had were very pleased with the class tells me all I need to know. If you haven't had other training, it seems great. By the time I took that certification course I had trained with Suarez International multiple times, Shivworks, Mercop, and others and was able to see right through it.

I want to say again...I realize that these two yahoos may have been bad instructors (even though the NRA feels one of them is one of the highest ranking "training counselor makers" in the country). The guys on here are probably great instructors. But that doesn't change the curriculum and lesson plans.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Mr. Jackson, please help me understand which shooters/gun owners with no experience or formal training should bypass fundamentals or do not really need firearm fundamentals. For the life of me, I am at a loss to think of any shooters/gun owners who should not know how to handle and use firearms safely, correctly, and responsibly, i.e., the fundamentals.

I see now where you highlighted "no experience" with firearms in IndyGunSafety's post. And if that is the criteria we are using for this discussion I will concede and agree. I really just meant no formal training.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I responded once (noonish) but it seems the Costa Rican internet gods ate it.

It is the curriculum I'm concerned with here not the instructors. If a student wants to learn how to defend them self with a handgun (the vast majority in my experience) the NRA runs them through a gauntlet of trivial pursuit information. I don't think this serves them adequately. If you think that a student needs to maser hold control, and breath control, and eleventeen other skills before they start learning about self defense you are wrong. If you didn't know that already,now you know. If you continue on the same path you are compromising due to some calculation you perceive benefits you. I choose not to compromise. I hope the NRA improves thier courses, but I can not in good conscience at this time recommend this path. That was my message to the OP.

For suggestion as to how to improve the current training that's easy. Look at any of the first hundred or so private training organizations you can think of and copy what they do. I doubt it will be worse. I have my favorites but really any would be an improvement. If your retort is that they would need better quality instructors to achieve such a transition, so be it.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Mr Haines: It all comes down to the talent of the instructor! The NRA programs are what the instructors make them.

Mr. Rose:

It's the instructors you should be concerned with! You can do a lot with the cirriculum. At least a good, professional educator can. That's why I hope the op will consider going beyond just adding the patch to his resume. You really do have a sphere of influence over the students who come to you for your experience and expertise. For an instructor that really has no experience or expertise or little, you can use the NRA name and programs to develope your skill. But do yourself a favor. Teach the program! You may want to consider going and taking other instructor's programs. While you don't have to, I recommend going to take the course before you take the instructor course. Get an idea of what the student goes through and how the instructor presents.

Now you may be wondering.... How does somebody with no experience become an instructor. The answer is simple. The NRA leaves it up to the training counselors to screen the applicants. Some take anybody with a pulse and enough money. Some of us really care about the future of training and look closely at each applicant, and wash out those that won't do the program justice. We also have the option to limit those who show great potential but are not quite there yet, to assistant status. They can only assist and cannot act in a teaching capacity until they show their instructor potential and skill is where it needs to be. A great shooter doth not a good instructor make!

I cannot speak for other TC's but if you come to me for your certs I will identify your strengths, exploit EVERY weakness, give you every opportunity to rise to the occasion and polish those weaknesses, and add plenty of tools to your instructor toolbox. We really do want you to succeed and be a positive part of the future of safe gun handling in your community.

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    David, I think we're in agreement.

Mr Haines: It all comes down to the talent of the instructor! The NRA programs are what the instructors make them.

Indy,

With all due respect, if you (and the others here) are fantastic instructors which make these courses somewhat useful, then more power too you. Unfortunately, it saddens me to think of how amazing they would be if you started with good solid modern material. With an organization as far reaching as the NRA, there is no good excuse that you haven't.

I hope someday I'll be forced to eat these words when the NRA gets the proverbial appendage out of their proverbial orifice.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    If I could sqeeze in here for a second. I got excited when I saw this thread because I was about to ask the same question. Then I saw all the bullcrap arguing and was instantly disapointed cause a dude cant even get a decent answer in the mist of your silly bickering nonsense.
    Heres my story. Ive not had any formal training. Started recently teavhing my wife and kids to shoot. Dont want to teach bad habits from the start. Really want to get a good safe foundation. Going really slow and using literally hundreds of hours of research to go about it correctly. Lately ive had some friends wives ask if I might teach them the basics of shooting and handling a gun safely because they are aware that I have taken it very serious with my own family. Due to all this I have been thinking that I would like to become certified to instruct a very basic beginners course and.
    Having the credentials and more importantly, knowing im not teaching someone wrong or unsafe practices would help me have the confidence to help these people and my family.
    So my question is if not the nra or maybe along with becoming nra certified, what other certification would one get to effectively teach a very basic course? Im not looking to instruct some tactical, military type handgun course. These are beginers just wanting to learn to shoot safely and not be so scared of guns. Dont say not the nra but then not give other info.
    Are there any requirements to become nra certified? Ive actually found a class for Feb. I think and was thinking about enrolling but havent received a return call from a message I left just the other day. My wife is very excited about me doing this and teaching our six kids and her to shoot so im proud that she is thinking along the lines of being able to protect herself and family. I really want to do my part responsibly so please hook some of us up with some specific info instead of arguing about it.
    Thanks and no offense to any of you boneheads about your baby-waa-waah arguing:)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If I could sqeeze in here for a second. I got excited when I saw this thread because I was about to ask the same question. Then I saw all the bullcrap arguing and was instantly disapointed cause a dude cant even get a decent answer in the mist of your silly bickering nonsense.
    Heres my story. Ive not had any formal training. Started recently teavhing my wife and kids to shoot. Dont want to teach bad habits from the start. Really want to get a good safe foundation. Going really slow and using literally hundreds of hours of research to go about it correctly. Lately ive had some friends wives ask if I might teach them the basics of shooting and handling a gun safely because they are aware that I have taken it very serious with my own family. Due to all this I have been thinking that I would like to become certified to instruct a very basic beginners course and.
    Having the credentials and more importantly, knowing im not teaching someone wrong or unsafe practices would help me have the confidence to help these people and my family.
    So my question is if not the nra or maybe along with becoming nra certified, what other certification would one get to effectively teach a very basic course? Im not looking to instruct some tactical, military type handgun course. These are beginers just wanting to learn to shoot safely and not be so scared of guns. Dont say not the nra but then not give other info.
    Are there any requirements to become nra certified? Ive actually found a class for Feb. I think and was thinking about enrolling but havent received a return call from a message I left just the other day. My wife is very excited about me doing this and teaching our six kids and her to shoot so im proud that she is thinking along the lines of being able to protect herself and family. I really want to do my part responsibly so please hook some of us up with some specific info instead of arguing about it.
    Thanks and no offense to any of you boneheads about your baby-waa-waah arguing:)

Hey there. Thanks for setting us straight. :): I'll do the best I can to answer your questions:

No, you do not need any special knowledge, background or experience to get the NRA Basic Pistol instructor certification. You need to find a training counselor, take the class, and pass the test with an adequate score.

Will it help you be a better instructor? Probably. Especially if you have never had any formal training yourself.

I believe the best instructors are also the best students. If you plan to teach people I would encourage you to get formal training yourself. I would say you should consider getting formal training from more than one instructor. Try to choose instructors with different backgrounds and perspectives. Hearing them explain their views and demonstrate their techniques will make you consider your approach in ways you might not have otherwise. You will hear the same information explained in different ways. This will not only broaden your understanding of the knowledge, but it will give you additional ways to approach the topic with your own students, whoever they might be.

I have never instructed a formal class, but I have taken a bunch of them. I also teach people informally on the range frequently. Friends, family, new shooters and experienced. Every time I go to a training class, my method of explaining things evolves. It changes and expands my approach to teaching. I also have significantly more success teaching others now that I have had all of these training experiences myself.

I am curious where you've been doing this hundreds of hours of research? What are your sources of information?

Also, not to knock the research, as I am always eager to learn new things wherever I can, but you could probably have learned a majority of what you've found in those hundreds of hours of research, trial, and error in just tens of hours of formal training with a competent instructor. It really accelerates the pace of learning to have an experienced person to guide you.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Well I got kinda irritated and posted before I read this post. I was trying to remember where it was I was about to try to sign up for the course, then read your post amd saw fishers in your info and realized thats it. Haha talhats where it said the class was at. Ive got the info written don at home including the instructors name and all. Are you that instructor? Sorry im kunda new here and dont know many people yet. My understanding is that I need to take the basic instructor course, then each discipline that im interested in teaching. Is that correct? Thinking rhe class coming up is in Feb or March and I was gonna take the one on the first day, then the basic handgun was offered the next day. So was gonna do both if im allowed. Am I correct and can you give me whatever other info I need please?
    I assure you im extremely serious about teaching my family (and other beginners) responsibly. Any info and\or advise would be much appreciated. Im a blani slate and kund 9f a sponge as far as wanting to learn so you or whomever would not be disapointed in allowing me the opportunity to become a certified instructor.
    Thanks again.

Edit: Was going through some stuff online and realize it was actually in Shepherdsville that the course I was looking at before. Date is 3-9-13.
    Still interested in any info and course schedule with you as I see your in Indy which is close to my home town of Blgtn.
    Thanks, Roger

Mr. Rose:

It's the instructors you should be concerned with! You can do a lot with the cirriculum. At least a good, professional educator can. That's why I hope the op will consider going beyond just adding the patch to his resume. You really do have a sphere of influence over the students who come to you for your experience and expertise. For an instructor that really has no experience or expertise or little, you can use the NRA name and programs to develope your skill. But do yourself a favor. Teach the program! You may want to consider going and taking other instructor's programs. While you don't have to, I recommend going to take the course before you take the instructor course. Get an idea of what the student goes through and how the instructor presents.

Now you may be wondering.... How does somebody with no experience become an instructor. The answer is simple. The NRA leaves it up to the training counselors to screen the applicants. Some take anybody with a pulse and enough money. Some of us really care about the future of training and look closely at each applicant, and wash out those that won't do the program justice. We also have the option to limit those who show great potential but are not quite there yet, to assistant status. They can only assist and cannot act in a teaching capacity until they show their instructor potential and skill is where it needs to be. A great shooter doth not a good instructor make!

I cannot speak for other TC's but if you come to me for your certs I will identify your strengths, exploit EVERY weakness, give you every opportunity to rise to the occasion and polish those weaknesses, and add plenty of tools to your instructor toolbox. We really do want you to succeed and be a positive part of the future of safe gun handling in your community.

Last edited:

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Thank you very much for that info. I am absolutely in agreement that learning from experienced people by far outweighs what im calling my "hundreds of hours of research" the honest fact is that its only reading and internet vids and such that ive been checkimg out for quite along time now. I concider myself an outdoorsman and have hunted for years but have only recently become a member here and found that theres more to just having my ccw on me daily. Theres a responsibility that goes along with it and im trying to do the responsible thing. So before anyone hammers me too much about the hundreds of hours remark just be aware. Im not trying to claim some status or nothing like that. Ive actually read and watched hundreds of hours of vids and spend quite a bit of time at the range or in the woods shooting. And thats really it. No where near as good as actual training and learning with a reputable instructor but thats kunda the point im making with wanting to learn and be able to teach the basic to friends and family. Make no mistake, I am not a couch commando! Im a doer! Its why im here and why im having this conversation. I would love to take some of the training that ive been reading about all iver ingo. The wife and I are supposed to take a beginner course with Guy Minnis of HardTack in Eville and was wanting to move forward and increase my skills but the main thing is to learn correctly and its about saving lives in my mind. My family, friends and any place im at where a psycho decides to go on a shooting spree. NOT IF I'M THERE AND BREATHING!
    Anyway, guess ill shut up. Wanting to be completely honest is all.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Hey there. Thanks for setting us straight. :): I'll do the best I can to answer your questions:

No, you do not need any special knowledge, background or experience to get the NRA Basic Pistol instructor certification. You need to find a training counselor, take the class, and pass the test with an adequate score.

Will it help you be a better instructor? Probably. Especially if you have never had any formal training yourself.

I believe the best instructors are also the best students. If you plan to teach people I would encourage you to get formal training yourself. I would say you should consider getting formal training from more than one instructor. Try to choose instructors with different backgrounds and perspectives. Hearing them explain their views and demonstrate their techniques will make you consider your approach in ways you might not have otherwise. You will hear the same information explained in different ways. This will not only broaden your understanding of the knowledge, but it will give you additional ways to approach the topic with your own students, whoever they might be.

I have never instructed a formal class, but I have taken a bunch of them. I also teach people informally on the range frequently. Friends, family, new shooters and experienced. Every time I go to a training class, my method of explaining things evolves. It changes and expands my approach to teaching. I also have significantly more success teaching others now that I have had all of these training experiences myself.

I am curious where you've been doing this hundreds of hours of research? What are your sources of information?

Also, not to knock the research, as I am always eager to learn new things wherever I can, but you could probably have learned a majority of what you've found in those hundreds of hours of research, trial, and error in just tens of hours of formal training with a competent instructor. It really accelerates the pace of learning to have an experienced person to guide you.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I see now where you highlighted "no experience" with firearms in IndyGunSafety's post. And if that is the criteria we are using for this discussion I will concede and agree. I really just meant no formal training.

Thank you.

Beyond those with no experience, those without good formal training in the fundamentals very, very rarely have a solid grasp of those fundamentals. I see such regularly--the most recent being just last weekend with a commissioned and sworn police officer who took our two introductory handgun classes.

A new member of our staff, Sgt. Bryan DeYoung, was, among 10 incredible credentials, both the instructor and commander of the largest multi-jurisdictional SWAT team in the country. Sgt. DeYound is fantastic--talent, training, experience, teacher's spirit, humble. We practice together on a somewhat regular basis, and what is the focus of our shooting about 80 percent of the time? Fundamentals!

FYI
    Sgt. DeYoung will be with me at this Saturday's (January 12) sold out Legal Aspects of Personal Safety seminar at the Lebanon 4H Fairgrounds, for anyone reading this who has tickets. Randy DeWitt of Indy Gun Safety is making every effort to be there, too.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    IamLegend, you should go ahead and take the BIT and Basic Pistol instructors course. The BIT is a lot of role playing and practice giving presentations. The course instructors training basically walks you through the course materials. I would venture that most instructors do not actively host courses but no reason not to take the course. Then make an effort to take advantage of other training opportunities.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    its about saving lives in my mind. My family, friends and any place im at where a psycho decides to go on a shooting spree. NOT IF I'M THERE AND BREATHING!
    Anyway, guess ill shut up. Wanting to be completely honest is all.
    Thanks again for the info.

IamLegend,
    First, i hope honest disagreements don't make you uncomfortable. If those who have gone before you sharing thier ideas is not welcome here what's the point.

You might be just the guy for this info (NRA basic...) note I said info not the course in its current form. The information in the basic program would be great info for a dad to share with his kids (Some of it over a lifetime. Not a multi hour power point presentation.) Kids that are interested in guns like I was would eat the whole thing up. Kids that are not interested in guns really probably only need the safety part and maybe a range session to try and spark some further interest. You can try and force feed the info about how to load and unload single action revolvers if you want, but I doubt it will stick for long.

The question is the one I asked Indy. When a prospective student comes to you and says they are a new gun owner and want to learn how to defend themself with a gun, what will you say? I find that those who teach NRA courses will say "We'll start you off with NRA Basic pistol, then you'll be ready for NRA Personal Protection in the home, then if you are really serious, NRA Personal Protection outside the home." Those with the choice to teach NRA courses and other courses more focused on self defense will choose the more focused program and in the end many have dropped the NRA credentials or keep them but don't actively teach the NRA material. Yes the student will be a less informed consumer, but more capable as a defender (if the course is any good and most are). If its about saving lives, and I belive it is, then where would you send them? I understand this may not be a fair question since I don't know how familiar you are with NRA and other curriculum, but it's worth a thought.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IamLegend, you should go ahead and take the BIT and Basic Pistol instructors course. The BIT is a lot of role playing and practice giving presentations. The course instructors training basically walks you through the course materials. I would venture that most instructors do not actively host courses but no reason not to take the course. Then make an effort to take advantage of other training opportunities.

Vert,

I totally agree the BIT part is worth your money and time.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For the guys asking specifically what is in the NRA curriculum I thought it might be helpful to see an abbreviated agenda. This is one that I used last fall to help keep us on track.

Jackson, DavidRose & jdhaines will no doubt notice how generic and basic these courses are. IMO that is by design. I am sure that all of you gentlemen are accomplished shooters with devotion to training/mental preparation. From what I hear from most experienced people who are critical of the NRA programs is that they are too basic or too slow paced or not aggressive enough. I can't argue that is not true. But please remember who the target audience is. My goal is to gain support for the shooting sports and help people be safe. I do not expect people to walk out of an NRA course thinking they are an "operator". I do hope that they become shooters and not just gun owners. I also hope they gain confidence to participate in more advanced or more suitable training.

NRA Basic Pistol Agenda

8:00 – 8:30 Registration and Release Forms
    *No Live Ammunition in Classroom

8:30 – 8:45 Introduction of Instructors & Students (Nate)
    Outline of Range/Class Safety Plan (Craig)

8:45 – 9:15 Introduction of Course Outline and Days Activities NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling Lesson 1K (Nate)

9:15 – 10:00 Lesson I: Pistol Knowledge (Gordon) Single & Double Action Revolvers, Semi-Automatics

10:00 Break

10:00 – 10:40 Lesson I continued: Pistol Knowledge Semi-Automatics Hands on Exercises with Pistols, Load, Unload (Team)

10:40 – 11:00 Ammunition (Nate)

11:00 Lunch

11:30 – 1:20 Lesson II: Shooting Fundamentals (Craig) Sight Alignment, Trigger Control, Grip, etc.
    Dry Fire Exercises (Team)

1:20 Break

1:30 – 3:20 Lesson III: Live Fire with Rimfire Pistols (Team)

3:20 Break

3:30 – 4:20 Lesson IV: Scoring Targets & Cleaning, Selecting, Storing a Pistol. (Nate)
    *Substitute PPITH Lesson V “Selecting a Pistol for Personal Protection” if more applicable to the audience

4:20 Break

4:30 – 5:30 Lesson V: Exam (Gordon)
    Continued Opportunities for Training (Craig)

5:30 Closing & Thank You (Nate)

*Open Range upon course completion

Personal Protection in the Home

8:00 Registration

8:30 Introductions

8:45 – 9:00 Course Outline (Nate)

9:00 – 9:45 Intro to Defensive Shooting (Nate)

9:45 Break & Transition to Range

10:00 - 11:20 Basic Defensive Shooting Skills (Craig & Gordon)

11:30 Lunch

12:00 - 1:15 Firearms and the Law (Anthony)

1:15 Break & Transition to Range

1:30 – 3:20 Basic Defensive Shooting Skill Cont. (Craig & Gordon)

3:30 – 4:15 Strategies for Home Safety (Nate)

4:15 – 4:45 Lesson V: Review Selecting a Pistol & Ammunition for Self Defense Lesson VI: Dry Fire Practice (Nate) *Similar to requirements in Basic Pistol but more specific

4:45 – 5:30 Examination

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks vert & rose for the comments. What is bit? Is it the class that is required before you can evwn take a discipline course like basic pistol? Amd again Rose, are you saying go get training other plaves and apply it? Cause if not nrabthen where can I get the info and cert to instruct beginners?

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Thats great Vert! I live in Snencer County. Santa Claus, Indiana to be exact. I'm from Blgtn so familiar with Indy and all surrounding ateas. Where shoukd I contact to take these courses and with what instructors? Or should I just pick whatever fits my schedule best and not worry bout location and instructor? I wouldnt mind taking the basic pistal course before I take the basic pistol for insyructors course.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks vert & rose for the comments. What is bit? Is it the class that is required before you can evwn take a discipline course like basic pistol? Amd again Rose, are you saying go get training other plaves and apply it? Cause if not nrabthen where can I get the info and cert to instruct beginners?

BIT stands for Basic Instructors Training. It is basically a course on the NRA method of teaching and giving presentations. If your personal goal is to teach beginners then NRA Basic Pistol is for you. Do not expect students to flock to your course or to become a professional self defense instructor, that is not NRA Basic Pistol. Yes you can apply your knowledge to make the course more effective. No you are not supposed to create your own agenda and slap the NRA logo on it.

My suggestion for any NRA instructor is to teach as a team. It takes a fair bit of organization to host a class. You need a classroom, range access, presentation materials, examples of different guns, liability insurance. NRA recommends no more then 4 students per instructor.

The NRA Basic course also certifies a person to present FIRST (Firearms Introduction Responsibility Safety Training) if I remember the acronym correctly. I have never presented this program yet. But it is basically a stripped down version of Basic Pistol that concentrates on a particular platform of pistol, safety, & shooting fundamentals. It is supposed to be presented in small groups.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Jackson, DavidRose & jdhaines will no doubt notice how generic and basic these courses are. IMO that is by design. I am sure that all of you gentlemen are accomplished shooters with devotion to training/mental preparation. From what I hear from most experienced people who are critical of the NRA programs is that they are too basic or too slow paced or not aggressive enough.

Thanks for posting your course outline and bringing us back on track. I would like to point out that I never voiced any criticism of the NRA curriculum. I have taken the Basic Pistol course and believe it has a place in the world of training options available to prospective students. I think the needs, goals, and starting point of the student should be taken in to consideration before recommending any training. Criticizing any curriculum without the context that information provides is pointless. That is my main point.

I have no experience with the others and therefore cannot comment. I would be interested in taking them to see what they cover and so I can have an informed opinion; but I have trouble justifying the cost/benefit ratio when compared to other training on my to-do list.

What is the cost of your PPITH session?

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Basic Pistol Courses

Seriously? That is one of the most asinine responses I have ever seen on these boards. First of all our courses spend a great deal of hands on time in the classroom loading (with snap caps) dry firing and clearing a wide variety of handguns so the student is WELL ROUNDED and EDUCATED in the operation of a nice array of revolvers and semi autos, and INCLUDES their own gun if they brought one. In no case do I EVER recall talking about ammunition that is not used in any defense gun made. Then the student gets at least 2 hours of live fire with a variety of firearms including their own if they brought one.

Also, if a student wanted to they could take the First Steps pistol course which is SPECIFIC to their gun only. We try not to do these courses because we want to promote total education not just specifics of one firearm. We want people well rounded. They will thus make much better purchase decisions and will be able to make future purchases with some experience under their belts. We call this being "Armed with Knowledge".

We taught well over 1000 people the NRA Basic Pistol course alone last year. We offer many other courses as well. Many of these people had never even touched a real gun before. We also trained dozens of instructors to present these programs. Please tell me what you think (in your infinite wisdom) is a better developed and readily available program for teaching the knowledge, skill and attitude necessary for the safe ownership and operation of a handgun, and has the national credibility and infrastructure needed for such an endeavor and I will bow down to your extensive professional firearm education and experience and do it your way. (Insert purple where needed)

Please educate those of us who clearly know nothing about adult education or firearms training. We are all waiting.... :popcorn:

Mr. Jackson:

Regardless of their goals, the fundamentals must be sound first. I would never suggest a person with no experience take a force on force course before learning the fundamentals. However once the fundamentals are solid the next step possibilities are endless, and include some very solid programs from the NRA.

And if you watch the Out Doors channel all this information is ....FREE.... If you join most any Conservation Club there will almost always be someone on the firing line that will be able to assist you with any problem you might have...cost....FREE...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom