• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Ok, just got my Rifleman from the mailbox. The following names are people that I served with personally on the NRA BOD and whom I endorse and will be voting for myself.

That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the other candidates, just that I don't know them personally. Read their bios and make selections accordingly.

M. Carol Bambery
    Bob Barr
    Larry E. Craig
    Donn C. DiBiasio
    Sandra S. Froman
    Marion P. Hammer
    Susan Howard
    H. Joaquin Jackson
    Oliver L. North
    Ted Nugent
    Lance Olson
    James W. Porter II
    Dwight D. Van Horn

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't think I'll vote for Larry Craig.

BTW, there's the other Nugent, Sen. Johnny Nugent from Lawrenceburg, he's been during yeoman's labor on expanding carry rights in Indiana.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ok, just got my Rifleman from the mailbox. The following names are people that I served with personally on the NRA BOD and whom I endorse and will be voting for myself.

That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the other candidates, just that I don't know them personally. Read their bios and make selections accordingly.

M. Carol Bambery
    Bob Barr
    Larry E. Craig
    Donn C. DiBiasio
    Sandra S. Froman
    Marion P. Hammer
    Susan Howard
    H. Joaquin Jackson
    Oliver L. North
    Ted Nugent
    Lance Olson
    James W. Porter II
    Dwight D. Van Horn

Liberty,
    IIRC, wasn't H. Joaquin Jackson the one someone interviewed and who spoke disparagingly of some guns or some gun owners? I might be misremembering, but that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for the info!

ETA: It seems he is. Joaquin Jackson Update

Do you, by chance, have further info? By my read, he seems to think that LEOs/military are better than the rest of us and should be the only ones allowed access to full-auto, but that the rest can be allowed up to five rounds at a time.
    I will not make any bones about this: At present, I consider him an elitist and not someone I want defending my rights. I am open minded, however; if there is more info of which I'm not aware, I'd be happy to read and consider it. I post this now, however, so that an "enemy within", as one article put it, does not get voted in again by people who think they are voting for someone with their interests in mind.

End edit.

Thank you!

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    One additional thought: Despite my comments above, I would dearly love to see that slate of candidates to be the one we choose between to fill offices of power in this country, rather than solely within the NRA.

Blessings,
    Bill

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I'm a member of the NRA, but maybe we should call it Wayne's World. While I think they are a force to reckon with when defending our gun rights, I'm not always clear that this is their only agenda. However, I will remain a member.

Regarding the election, I think we need professional level-headed people that put a good face on responsible gun ownership. Ted Nugent is a jack*** and I DON"T want him representing me to ANYONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Bill, I had the pleasure of getting to know Ranger Jackson well during my tenure with the BOD during our "off" hours, and I can tell you that his remarks in this incident were misconstrued. He in no way takes an elitist attitude toward non-LEOS. I consider him a professional comrade and a good friend.

He does seem to take an attitude of "leave well enough alone" where the rules concerning full-autos are concerned. This attitude (although I have never shared it) is common among NRA BOD members. This is less of an issue of the constitutionality of such rules than it is simply a matter of choosing one's battles. The NRA has it's hands full just fighting off things like semi-auto bans and ammo bans and expanding and improving concealed carry laws. They have no hope whatsoever of repealing the Firearms Acts of 1934 and 1968 (at least in the foreseeable future) and any attempts to do so would be a complete waste of NRA's time and our money. The NRA MUST use its resources in a way that benefits the majority of gunowners and Class III people are at the back of the line. Do I hate to say that? Hell yes!!! But it's the political reality. I hate playing political games as much as anyone, but there is nothing to be gained by having any member of the NRA BOD advocate for the removal of restrictions on full autos. It's never going to happen short of another American Revolution and it just gives our enemies something to bash us with.

I will say, having "been there and done that" that it's vital to keep pro-gun LEOS on the NRA BOD, and I reiterate that I'll be voting for Ranger Jackson.

Having said that, let me say this:

I don't personally like all the candidates I listed in my post above. Obviously I will name no names, but I served with a number of political figures during my tenure with the BOD whom I didn't like at all. I found most of them to be typical politicians, lying backstabbers with no more integrity than a purse snatcher. The only thing they had going for them is that they use their lying, backstabbing ways on OUR SIDE.

There are certain other members who were there primarily for name recognition whom I NEVER saw in attendance at a board meeting. No problem...those of us who showed up for every meeting took care of business.

I can tell you that each of the people I list above, including one or two that I don't like, do definitely believe in the 2nd amendment and do have proven experience and expertise in working in our best interests. Vote for them.

I look at voting for some of these candidates the same way that I look at getting a colonoscopy...it's neither enjoyable or something I look forward to, but in the grand scheme of things it does me good in the long run.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    H. Joaquin Jackson was the fool who claimed that citizens have no need for more than 5 shots and black rifles should only be in the hands of pros. I don't know how that is misconstrued as it was plain as day in the video link below. Not only does he fail to distinguish a semi-auto from an assault rifle, he is an ignorant SoB not worthy of representing the NRA. He's not getting my vote as there are better LEO's up for election.

See https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ber_j_jackson_back_up_for_reelection_wtf.html

As far as Larry Craig, he was a champion for gun rights for many years but he's tarnished himself by lying and having a disgraced exit from politics. He's not getting my vote either.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Each to his own, Liberty, and thank you for your perspective. I am of the opinion that the members of that board and indeed, all firearms owners who are good, peaceable citizens, need to be championing the mantra of "Shall Not Be Infringed-It's Four Simple Words!" In other words, limitations on arms should be done at the individual level. If there must be some limitation beyond that, let us say that those who are incarcerated should not have lawful access to firearms, whether that incarceration is on a psycho-medical or a forensic basis, and if a violent crime is committed with a firearm, I would support a sentence enhancement.

Edit: While we may have nothing to gain by the BOD members advocating for the removal of FA restrictions, we also have nothing to gain by advocating their retention. As for our enemies having something to "bash" us with, by doing so, they provide us with the ultimate trump card: Yes, we support that removal, and those who do not ask our elected officials to continue the charade of supporting and defending the Constitution as they all swore to do when those officials who capitulate either now have no intention of upholding their oath... or never did in the first place. Do we really need people in power we cannot trust to do what we expect of five-year-olds: To tell the truth?

I respect that you hold the opinions you stated. I do not share them in toto, though I do in part. Specifically, I can agree that the NRA needs to "triage"; to put the most resources where they will do the most good, however, I cannot under any circumstance support throwing any of our number under the proverbial bus, because when the time comes to fight for THOSE rights, we not only have to overcome the Brady biases, we also have to overcome our own earlier statements.

I may inadvertently or unknowingly vote for someone with similar views to his, but I will not be voting for Mr. Jackson.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hey, Kirk, I'll tell you who I voted for, on page H, there is a list, and I mark who I vote for, so I can compare, when the issue comes out,
    # 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 30, ... looks like I missed one, I always vote for Military, LEO, and Women... Agree or disagree, I read every bio, and make a decision... JMHO.

David Fortis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    One thing that a person should avoid is feeling that because they can cast 25 votes, they must cast 25. Here there are 30 candidates and everyone has 25 votes. In most elections, a candidate can get 60% of the vote and still lose! If you really want 5 candidates, the other 20 you voted for may just bump off one of your 5. Instead of casting for 25, I always pick the ones I'd really want, maybe 5 or 6, vote for those, and stop there. The fewer you vote for, the more powerful are those votes.

Top Bottom