• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Murphy is alive and well, and just WAITING for his opportunity!

Amazing you weren't hurt. Great lesson though. Thanks for sharing. It SHOULD make everyone think twice about prying on a live round!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I've had a similar situation with a cap and ball revolver. The cap went off but didn't ignite the powder (black powder substitute). The ball moved enough to lock the cylinder and prevent disassembling the revolver. This is a worse situation since there is no breech to open to limit the pressure. After waiting for a hangfire, I have used a cleaning rod held on the sides with a glove or towel to push the ball back into the cylinder. If anyone knows a better solution, I would like to hear it. I don't believe putting another cap on the nipple is a good approach, since shooting with uncompressed powder can result in too high pressures.

Paul

I believe there is a device made just for this that uses a CO2 cartridge to discharge the projectile. I think I have one in my possibles bag, will try and find it to see who made it, but any black powder shooting supply outlet should have one.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    A friend of mine purchased a Mosquito new. The first time we took it to the range it had FTE's. Later that night he was cleaning it and called me.
    Apparently Sig includes 2 different springs, I'm not sure if they are recoil springs or guide rod springs, but you get 2 springs. One is for higher pressure loads like stingers and vipers, that is the one installed from the factory. The other spring in the box is for the low pressure loads, like what most of us buy in the bulk packs. The next shooting trip he had the other spring in, and we ran winchester and the federal bulk pack ammo with out a single problem. So if you buy a used one, or even if you have a new one, there should be another spring in the box, and the manual will tell you how to change it.:twocents:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Once again The Four Rules save the day.

As I can testify to (mine was an 870 with buckshot), having a gun discharge when you don't intend it to discharge can rattle a man.:n00b:

It's all about The Four Rules, THEN it's about the bling, bling.:D

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Thanks for sharing that story, it's a strong reminder for me to stay focused, especially with the 22. Off subject a bit, but, larger caliber weapons seem to naturally raise my focus level. I have to pro actively focus when using a 22. They're fun, low recoil, crack not boom, and you can burn through 500 rounds for 12 bucks or so.

awareness points +1

Top Bottom