• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Aren't we a member of the all powerfull United Nations ? You know, that august body of world powers that have the ability to change world order. The organization that is heavily funded by the United States - that doesn't give a crap about U.S. policy. Let's let the U.N. impose sanctions on N. Korea. Oh, forgot that would also take an affirmative vote - which China, Russia, and an additional conglomerate of other third world countries headed by despots, dictators, and tyrants would fail to do.

I don't think the captured gentleman demonstrated very good common sense with his travel itinerary - especially if he expected the United States governmet to come to his aid if needed. I guess he should consider himself luckier than the U.S. diplomat that was murdered in Benghazi. We (the U.S.) handled that really well - with full and open disclosure !

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    North Korea is near the top on my list of nations to visit. I'd love to go there. It would be like stepping back in time fifty years from both an infrastructure and information prospective.

They aren't taking people hostage for no reason. In this guys confession he mentions trying to get his guide to contact people he met during the Korean War. I understand that most of his confession is forced, but that part sure sounds believable. I'm sure he had been briefed before his departure in China to walk on eggshells while in the DPRK.

This guy was an absolute moron for not following the rules. In a place like that you have to abide by their rules, like them or not. Why on Earth would he try to contact regular people in the DPRK through his guide. Anybody would assume that the guides are spies/loyal commies/informants.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't think the captured gentleman demonstrated very good common sense with his travel itinerary !

I'm not going to poopoo the guy for going over there. Not having lived his life, I have no idea how strong the push for him to revisit his past. Some things are too strong to ignore...even knowing the risks. He's 85 and likely knew the risks he was facing but at 85 years old, I imagine he didn't care. He lived his life, why they hell not? Who am I to judge him?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The government will adapt much like China or it will fall, possibly within my lifetime.

I'm guessing coup d'etat, with covert support from China. Then market reforms and very limited political reforms. But time in general is running out for the North.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    North Korea is near the top on my list of nations to visit. I'd love to go there. It would be like stepping back in time fifty years from both an infrastructure and information prospective.

They aren't taking people hostage for no reason. In this guys confession he mentions trying to get his guide to contact people he met during the Korean War. I understand that most of his confession is forced, but that part sure sounds believable. I'm sure he had been briefed before his departure in China to walk on eggshells while in the DPRK.

This guy was an absolute moron for not following the rules. In a place like that you have to abide by their rules, like them or not. Why on Earth would he try to contact regular people in the DPRK through his guide. Anybody would assume that the guides are spies/loyal commies/informants.

In a confession released from North Korea, ignore everything from the time the camera turns on till the camera turns off.
    Do you honestly believe they were waiting for him to "break the rules"?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Nothing. I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Holding an elderly man hostage does not make good PR. I'd imagine they have a reason.

Perhaps to convince their own people that they are extremely vengeful, never forget, and have no fear of anyone, including us? Sounds like perfect mass intimidation to me.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I hardly think N. Korea is worried about good or bad PR.
    They are obsessed with it. This is a country that built the worlds largest hotel that not only has just one occupied floor, but is also not finished on the interior. They build entire show towns near the border. I doubt there is another nation on this planet as obsessed with their image as the DPRK.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

If there were some way to avoid state abduction, it really would be interesting to see what that place is really like. I watched a documentary where a film crew was allowed to take a closely-monitored tour and it was one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They are obsessed with it. This is a country that built the worlds largest hotel that not only has just one occupied floor, but is also not finished on the interior. They build entire show towns near the border. I doubt there is another nation on this planet as obsessed with their image as the DPRK.

Well then, all them other times they "coerced" people into "confessing" must be imagined.

Didn't the wife/girlfriend of the Dear Leader just disappear?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When I was in Korea from '74 to '75, I refused to even visit Panmunjam. Not the smartest thing in the world to place yourself in the way of crazies who do unspeakable things for unbelievably incomprehensible reasons. If you're forced to live next door to crazy people (and I was living less than 5 miles from them at the time) why expose yourself to their craziness unnecessarily? Of course, I feel somewhat the same way about ex-GIs who visit Vietnam, too, so maybe it's just me . . .

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And worrying about their image?

That must be why they shoot across the dmz.
    And make theats about artillery shelling.
    And put commandos in mini subs and drop them off South's coast.

Top Bottom