• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    However with a range of well under 600 miles even with belly / drop tanks, I wouldn't worry too much about seeing N. Korean air force in our air space any times soon.

I heard they are researching the possibilty of towing a 3,000 meter long pontoon from that boat to give them a "carrier" for those MiGs!

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Picture #5, what exactly is that camo designed to blend in with? And what is up with commies and their huge hats? The aircraft are MIG-21s. State of the art in the 60s.

Actually I think they are Su-7 fitters. Capable close support aircraft, (state of the art in the 60s) in well trained hands. Wouldn't stand much chance against western aircraft of today, but could do some damage in close support.......until they were destroyed.

I saw nothing there that South ROK F-16s wouldn't chew up.

The glow in the dark green uniforms will probably give up any element of surprise.:dunno:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Actually I think they are Su-7 fitters. Capable close support aircraft, (state of the art in the 60s) in well trained hands. Wouldn't stand much chance against western aircraft of today, but could do some damage in close support.......until they were destroyed.

I saw nothing there that South ROK F-16s wouldn't chew up.

The glow in the dark green uniforms will probably give up any element of surprise.:dunno:

I'm betting our fighter pilots are licking their lips right now. Not that any really want war, but if it comes, those would be pretty easy targets. And we thought the air war in Iraq was easy....

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The AP reported today that it was discovered that China recently sold North Korea 10,000 septic tanks. As soon as NK learns how to drive them, the invasion begins!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    They didn't have Migs also in Irak? :dunno:

Iraq actually had Migs that were state of the art for the time period (as well as state of the art Ground to Air defenses), but didn't have the training to use them to their full capability. We pretty well did as we pleased in the air campaign in Gulf War 1, clearing the skies in only a few days.

So, given that we were very successful against the Iraqis with very good equipment, I would bet that we would do very well against North Korea with equipment that is certainly no better than what we faced in Iraq in 1991.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    Really? 1950's MIGs? LOL

north-korea-pilots_2506772k.jpg

Does anyone else see a photoshop opportunity here? Just me? I died laughing at this picture, thinking "Man, if I could photoshop I would add...."

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    But we moved all our big ammo dumps south, a long way from the DMZ. Wonder who got nervous awhile back.

It was moved to reduce the chance of the NOKS getting to it to fast in a human wave attack. I also remember some of the storage areas were having some structural issues.

Wonder if they are checking the explosives on the main bridges in Seoul. The main bridges are all set to be blown if major advances by the NORKs can't be slowed. It is funny that the bridges are have explosives in them 24/7. I'd love to see how they control the safety system on the bridges.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    It was moved to reduce the chance of the NOKS getting to it to fast in a human wave attack. I also remember some of the storage areas were having some structural issues.

Wonder if they are checking the explosives on the main bridges in Seoul. The main bridges are all set to be blown if major advances by the NORKs can't be slowed. It is funny that the bridges are have explosives in them 24/7. I'd love to see how they control the safety system on the bridges.

They also have claymores along the DMZ pointed towards the NORK's. A friend told me story about when he was there. He said that when he just got off shift from being on guard, the sirens went off and all hands were to report to battle stations. Apparently, new LT's are just as dumb as a brand new private but with authority. The newest LT was walking around doing inspections and plugged into the wrong end of a clacker attempting to test the connection. Well, boom goes the claymore and they were at a 36 hour stand down aiming at each other, across the DMZ.

It's his story, relayed through me so take that with a grain of salt.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    We're making fun of them, sure. But just remember, their war strategy is based on taking their neighbors as a hostage. In case of war, they'll try to damage South Korea and Japan as much as possible, hopefully sending the world economy spiraling down into a depression. They know they have no chance of beating the US. But they just want to go down with their neighbors. In other words, this is a bank robber holding your best friend at gun point, knowing that he'll never making it out of there alive.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    We're making fun of them, sure. But just remember, their war strategy is based on taking their neighbors as a hostage. In case of war, they'll try to damage South Korea and Japan as much as possible, hopefully sending the world economy spiraling down into a depression. They know they have no chance of beating the US. But they just want to go down with their neighbors. In other words, this is a bank robber holding your best friend at gun point, knowing that he'll never making it out of there alive.

They're a paper tiger. They're still using Chinese copies of 1950s era Soviet Aircraft in combat roles. Their equipment is obsolete, and they struggle to feed their bloated military in garrison, how are they going to feed them in war against either South Korea or Japan? Both South Korea and Japan hold major technological advantages over them. I doubt China wants a war on its own borders, and they're likely reason why North Korea hasn't already been steamrolled.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Seoul is closer than that. 2ID is still up north, not sure how many are up there. 28.5K total US Forces in the ROK.

When I was visiting w/the Indiana Guard in 2007, what was left of the 2ID was stationed back down around Ouijongbu, which is where 8th Army aviation units were staged when I was there in '74-'75. IIRC, those remaining US troops are out of artillery range of the DMZ.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    They're a paper tiger. They're still using Chinese copies of 1950s era Soviet Aircraft in combat roles. Their equipment is obsolete, and they struggle to feed their bloated military in garrison, how are they going to feed them in war against either South Korea or Japan? Both South Korea and Japan hold major technological advantages over them. I doubt China wants a war on its own borders, and they're likely reason why North Korea hasn't already been steamrolled.

The ROK isn't treating them like they're a paper tiger - and with good reason. Their equipment may be antiquated, and likely their tactics will be antiquated as well, but there's a reasonable chance that their massive numbers of artillery can pry open one or several corridors along the DMZ sufficient to allow their massive numbers of armored vehicles to head down to Seoul. And nobody should EVER think of accusing any Korean fighting force of being unable to fight.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The ROK isn't treating them like they're a paper tiger - and with good reason. Their equipment may be antiquated, and likely their tactics will be antiquated as well, but there's a reasonable chance that their massive numbers of artillery can pry open one or several corridors along the DMZ sufficient to allow their massive numbers of armored vehicles to head down to Seoul. And nobody should EVER think of accusing any Korean fighting force of being unable to fight.

Many of there tanks are obsolete. They still have to keep many T-34/85 tanks in service. They literaly canabalize everything to build something else just to have something to use. There people are starving and they don't have very much fuel to operate their equipment. Their troops may be willing, but that won't make the outcome any different, as the South Korea military is pretty tough.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Obama's body guards shouldn't complain. At least they don't have to push his boat!

That camo pattern just isn't going to improve those guys chances of survival at all!

It depends where they are.
    You wont be able to see them if they hide in the factory where they make those suits with fabric roles of the same pattern all over the place. :dunno:

Top Bottom