• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Is there was a rule of thumb on how long I can leave a magazine fully loaded without any FTL issues? I checked my M&P owners manual and it didn't say anything about it. I thought it could compress the spring and the last round might not load or something.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Though I cannot say I'm 100% sure, but I was always taught that it was the loading and unloading that will cause the spring to get weak. Leaving one full (from what I've been told) won't hurt anything. Think about law enforcement, how long do you think they go without firing? I'm sure they aren't constantly unloading then reloading their mags. Without question, someone with more understanding/more expertise will reply with a more precise answer. I believe they measure mag spring life more in terms of a round count (ie, replace after 10K rounds) and not in terms of years.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Good question. Fortunately, this one has been asked before and researched. You can leave the mags loaded indefinitely. As HighStrung noted, it is flexing that causes stress and eventually leads to problems. Leaving it loaded or unloaded for long periods of time won't hurt the springs.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Leaving the mag spring compressed over time will do no harm IF the spring is made from quality spring steel and correctly tempered AND the design of the mag and follower does not overcompress the spring. (which unfortunately is the case in a large number of double stack hi capacity mags.) So you get to choose what is more important to you - having 15 rounds and the last two or three may not feed OR having 12 or 13 rounds that will feed every one. I would rather leave a couple of rounds out of a hi capacity if the mag is going to lay around for a long time. Especially all of the mags currently sold that require most folks to use a mag loader to get the last 4 or 5 rounds in. That's a clue. A 7 round 1911 magazine with a high quality spring in it will probably work fine after many years of being loaded with 7 rounds. A high capacity double stack with a cheap mass produced spring that is being compressed past its design limits may not after enough time and cycles of compression/relaxation. On a gun whose primary purpose is keeping you alive you really don't want to take any chances. And your question is a very good one. Remember that at least half of the answers you will get from the internet forums will be wrong simply because so many are told so much B.S. and believe most of it and there are a lot of misinformed and just plain stupid people with computers out there.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That's one reason I buy factory mags. They may cost more, but I'm not going to trust my life to a cheaper aftermarket mag. Not that all aftermarket mags are junk. I have range, and carry mags for all my guns. I keep my carry mags loaded all the time. That way if I have to bail, then I'm ready to go. When I was in the service, we had mags that where kept loaded 24/7. Never had a single problem with feeding. Like the past posters said, it's the loading and unloading that wears down springs. Even then a quality mag will last a long time.

rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    These mags are all factory made though I have no idea how old they are nor how many times they have been filled and emptied. I bought them used with the gun. I have tested all of them by filling to capacity and shooting. All performed perfectly. Also I don't know what everyone else thinks is long term for staying loaded. I was thinking more like 6 - 12 months though some answers seemed to imply multiple years. I hope I never neglect to practice so much I don't empty 6 mags of 9mm ammo at least every 6 months regardless of weather. Of course its easy for me since I only have one handgun at this time. If I had 5 handguns it would be harder to empty multiple mags from multiple guns regularly.

I would give rep if I knew how.

Last edited:

Lil Tippy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks for the experiences

I have always had this same question. Thanks to all who have responded. Great forum.

Top Bottom