• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Hey all, I'm going to start shopping for my first hand gun and am looking for reconmendations for shops that are friendly/patient with noobies.

I'm sure I will have some questions and need some knowledgable advice, thus consuming some of their time.

I plan on going hopfully during non-peak hours, probably around 4:00 on weekdays and would prefer something north but am willing to drive the I65 corridor down to Indy.

Any advice is always appreciated, thanks...Pat

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hey all, I'm going to start shopping for my first hand gun and am looking for reconmendations for shops that are friendly/patient with noobies.

I'm sure I will have some questions and need some knowledgable advice, thus consuming some of their time.

I plan on going hopfully during non-peak hours, probably around 4:00 on weekdays and would prefer something north but am willing to drive the I65 corridor down to Indy.

Any advice is always appreciated, thanks...Pat

One of our members works at Blythes in Valpo (Sadclown)
    and one works at Cabelas (lowendgenerator)

And I usually visit Blythes in Griffith once a week.
    Wouldn't mind helping out if you want to go there.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I would recommend Westforth Sport Shop in Gary the most. Subtlesixer03 works there and is very knowledgeable about purchasing a first handgun.
    I also have nothing bad to say about either Blythe's. I have bought guns and ammo at all stores. I am at all three shops at least once a week, sometimes a lot more.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    One of our members works at Blythes in Valpo (Sadclown)
    and one works at Cabelas (lowendgenerator)

And I usually visit Blythes in Griffith once a week.
    Wouldn't mind helping out if you want to go there.

Which cabelas? I bought a rifle there at the hammond store a few months ago and the associate was nothing but nice, patient and great customer service. Wonder if it was him.

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    I recommend Blythes in valpo. I have bought two guns from them including my first and they were nothing but helpful. My girlfriend has been in there several times trying to pick out a gun and they have all been more than willing to take the time to try to find out what fits her best and answer the seemingly endless questions she has. They have been awesome and will continue to get out business.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Where do you live? I would suggest going to a big box store and getting an idea of a few that you like, then going to the small LGS to order. Gander Mountain in Lafayette has a huge selection of almost anything under the sun. Go there, see what fits your hand, see what triggers you like (remember, safety check, and even if it's unloaded never point it at anyone, especially if you're pulling the trigger). I usually find my next handgun want at those stores or gun shows where you an really get a feel for the differencees between firearms. then i do the research to either support my choice, or realize what i'm looking at getting is a POS :):

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    Westforths or Blythes would be your best option by far. Cannot say enough good things about either store. Blythes would have more of a selection than Westforths, well at least they usually do.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you are going to be in Indy, you should check out Bradis. I mean they did win shop of the year after all! But in all seriousness, they are a big help and if you have questions they take the time to explain things to you rather than other shops I have been too around here that didnt really give me the time of day.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Honestly, I believe your own attitude has more effect on your visit to a Gun store than the employees. Don't be bashful. There are a lot of complaints on this site about being "ignored" during a visit. It doesn't take much to approach a clerk and ASK for help. Be honest and tell them your experience (or lack of it). Then have an idea of what you are looking for (Everyday carry gun - big, little? Rifle for target shooting? Home defense firearm?). You get the idea.

And remember - most GS's will deal - though not so much right now! Make a reasonable offer for the firearm you want - If they ask $499, don't offer $300, but you might be able to offer $475 or $495 "out the door" (they pay the tax). Even in today's climate they all want to sell guns and I have never had a real bad experience in a GS -(But I am far from bashful and will ask for help):):

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    If you aren't sure what you want, I would find a place that has a range for you to rent a few to shoot. On the other hand, if you get one that you don't get comfortable with, it gives you a reason to go buy another. :rockwoot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom