• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montgoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    So, I've never used a scope, but was looking at putting something on a Ruger 10/22 (maybe just a red-dot).
    Just walking the aisles I noticed some scopes were marked as .22 caliber and others different calibers (or unmarked).
    I'm wondering what makes a scope caliber specific? :n00b:
    Does it have something to do with handling the shock/recoil? Or what?

Thanks

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So, I've never used a scope, but was looking at putting something on a Ruger 10/22 (maybe just a red-dot).
    Just walking the aisles I noticed some scopes were marked as .22 caliber and others different calibers (or unmarked).
    I'm wondering what makes a scope caliber specific? :n00b:
    Does it have something to do with handling the shock/recoil? Or what?

Thanks

When you see a scope marked as 22 specific, it can mean a couple things.

1 parallax is set for 50 yds vs 100 yards

2 bullet drop compentating wich means the reticle/turrets are set for the drop of a rimfire

montgoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Is the bullet drop that much worse on rimfire?

Follow-up: It would be safe (stay zeroed, etc) to use a larger caliber spec'd scope on the .22, but not the other way around?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Nothing specific yet. Just got the 10/22 and was starting to look at options. I'm just plinking, so not looking for anything expensive or fancy.

Even for a plinker you still need the scope to function. I carry these and it would easliy be the cheapest option I would recomend and easily be the best buy on the market at 119

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 V-Plex Rimfire

If you decide to go cheaper (alot of people do) just let me know in a few months when the scope you buy breaks and you find out there is no warranty ( the Vortex has a no questions ask warranty. Its covered if you acedentally run over it with a truck and Im confident enough in that ill give you a brand new one out of my inventory if something happens) and ill get you one of these then. Buying Quality once is somthing most folks cant be told, they have to learn it with their own wallet (I know I wouldnt listen and I wasted alot of money because of that when I was learning)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Believe Alan

The first lesson I learned about scopes is that only a rich man can afford a cheap scope. Why? Because you're going to end up replacing it with the scope you should have bought at first. :D

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Listen to Alan. He truly wants to help people enjoy their shooting. People buy a gun and then scrimp on optics. My experience is that you definitely get what you pay for with optics with one exception: with Vortex you get more! Sshh, they haven't caught on yet.

Pony up the extra money or save until you can afford it. Cheap optics are...well..cheap.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The first lesson I learned about scopes is that only a rich man can afford a cheap scope. Why? Because you're going to end up replacing it with the scope you should have bought at first. :D

Listen to Alan. He truly wants to help people enjoy their shooting. People buy a gun and then scrimp on optics. My experience is that you definitely get what you pay for with optics with one exception: with Vortex you get more! Sshh, they haven't caught on yet.

Pony up the extra money or save until you can afford it. Cheap optics are...well..cheap.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys

montgoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'll keep that scope in mind. It might be too long for my usage though (since my Takedown may no longer fit in the bag with that scope mounted). I could go detachable, but seems like you'd have to rezero the scope every time you went out to shoot with that...

Plus, I'm thinking for the range I'll be shooting at (max 50 yards, 25 yard typical), a red-dot would be fine. I'm not hunting or anything with this rifle. Just plinking at the local range. And a red-dot would be short enough that I could leave it attached and still fit the gun in the bag. Any red-dots you would recommend?

Are there any other good scopes that are shorter? (just in case)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    A 22 bullet drops faster than most.

Just gonna nitpick a little here, really quick:

Everything on earth falls at the same rate because everything is subject to the same gravitational force. So what you really mean is, "a 22 won't get as far as a more powerful round before it hits the ground because it isn't moving as fast."

/geek-out :D

On a more serious note, I haven't looked at scopes much, so thanks for the info in this thread. Learn something every day around these parts of the Interwebz.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    what do you mean shorter? are you trying to outfit your gun based on the bag it came with? In all honesty. You're going to want to put a decent scope on your new 10/22 to have the most fun plinking. I learned this first hand after i had a tasco on my 10/22 for years and every time i went out to shoot it, it was not hitting zero. Spend $100 on a scope and you will have a lot more fun hitting what your aiming at rather than splattering all over the target because it doesn't hold zero. just my:twocents: You will be happy you did.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just gonna nitpick a little here, really quick:

Everything on earth falls at the same rate because everything is subject to the same gravitational force. So what you really mean is, "a 22 won't get as far as a more powerful round before it hits the ground because it isn't moving as fast."

/geek-out :D

On a more serious note, I haven't looked at scopes much, so thanks for the info in this thread. Learn something every day around these parts of the Interwebz.

Agreed, how about this

The 22lr takes more time to get from point a to point b. There for gravity has more time to work on it than most calipers:D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'll keep that scope in mind. It might be too long for my usage though (since my Takedown may no longer fit in the bag with that scope mounted). I could go detachable, but seems like you'd have to rezero the scope every time you went out to shoot with that...

Plus, I'm thinking for the range I'll be shooting at (max 50 yards, 25 yard typical), a red-dot would be fine. I'm not hunting or anything with this rifle. Just plinking at the local range. And a red-dot would be short enough that I could leave it attached and still fit the gun in the bag. Any red-dots you would recommend?

Are there any other good scopes that are shorter? (just in case)

This will be my first time trying to match a scope to a bag:D

On red dots you have 3 options.

Primary Arms
    Vortex strikefire
    Vortex sparc

I have no clue how much extra space is in your bag so I don't know if those help you or not

montgoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    what do you mean shorter? are you trying to outfit your gun based on the bag it came with?

Well, it's the takedown version. Part of the appeal is that it breaks in half and fits in this small bag it came with. :cool:
    Kinda silly, but obviously I'm not worried about perfection. I'm not a good enough shot that I'd be able to tell if any scope was hitting zero or not... I'll probably shoot it a bit with iron sights first and see if I even need the red-dot. Haven't even made it to the range since I got it. :(

Thanks for the help everybody. Especially 42769vette. Very informative.

Top Bottom