• ...and so much more!
  • BrandonM

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Hey everybody

Im currently looking for some sort of self defense for my girlfriend, she isn't too gun friendly (right now atleast, Ill keep working on that) but I do want her to be safe when I cant be with her. I sort of thinking about a stun gun, pepper spray, etc. I just wanted your guys opinion on what you might think is a good option. (Now dont say a gun b/c I know thats the best option lol) Have any of you had experience with stun guns? Any good brands? Or tricks that I should know about them? I heard that the volts dont necessarily matter as much as the ohms? Any help is appreciated. :ingo:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    pepper or stun would be good......if stun i would get the one's that shoot out the electrodes....would keep them back...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Pepper Spray, Foxlabs or ALS Top Cop.

Stun gun requires close contact unless you get a taser, and that is one shot then reload.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Pepper Spray, Foxlabs or ALS Top Cop.

Stun gun requires close contact unless you get a taser, and that is one shot then reload.

so thats the differants between a stun and taser...never payed any attention....thanks for clearin' that up for me...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i would go with a good oc spray for sure and possibly a stun gun as well. nothing says she cant have both, but my first choice would be oc spray. good luck in your decision

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    bench_556_pink_08.jpg

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    First teach her to use something she can have in her hand all the time like a pen, or flashlight. Then layer that with a kubaton on her keys.

Stun guns and OC have no place in my plans or that of my family. They provide a false sense of security. Do some research and google for stories about OC and stun guns used for self defense vs those used as weapons in a crime and see what turnes us. OC is by far the best selling self-defense item out there, where are all the stories of it's effective use by citizens.

If you can, get her to carry a knife as well.- George

BrandonM

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's opinion and help for sure. I might look into a knife, its just very close courters. I wish I wouldn't have to think of someone being that close trying to hurt her, but it is a possibility I suppose.. Better to expect the unexpected right? lol

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    Stun gun = Dumb idea. A taser that shoots electrodes takes aiming practice and probably would be a great idea either. A knife could be a great way to help her out. If she is like most women and carries a decent sized purse, a nice police grade baton can also help. If it doesn't scare the person away it will sure hurt when they get a nice hard blow to the head. It's pretty intimidating when someone pulls out a telescoping baton and opens it up. Just a thought, but the knife should be number one on your list. Different kinds of sprays could also work, but they aren't always the perfect defense weapon.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Pepper spray is deffently a great option. We had to get sprayed for our LE qualification. Let me tell you it hurts like a sob. I do not care how big you are. The only downside is if you get confronted by someone who is jacked up. Drugs make the body much more tollirble to pain.

BrandonM

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Hmm alright. All sound good. I think the baton is the best idea I like so far. I knife may be the next best. I appreciate all of the help guys. Gotta keep the women in our life safe!

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I make sure my wife always carries her pepper spray when she jogs. She carries it in her hand and not in the case. IMO if she were to carry it in the case in her pocket (or purse, etc...), it would take too long for her to dig it out and use out if a BG were to attack.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    if you have a cabelas near you i would definately check there. the one by me has cosnumer versions of police tasers(the ones that shoot electrodes, real tasers), they even come in a nice pink color that may be appealing and less intimidating to her. i belive they come with a belt clip that when u carry it it looks like a somewhat large cellphone so it will be less suspicious to the public. they also have a pretty broad range of pepper sprays. the Jogger Fogger is a good idea if you can find it, or a smaller key chain can of mace. they even make pepper spray guns that look like flare guns that you load with mace canisters. it aims like a gun and sprays like a can of mace. i think u can get that in pink too.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    +1 re: OC sprays. Great for breaking contact and getting away. Without solid hand-to-hand training (ie hapkido?), a knife could be a liability. Good tool, but like guns, training is needed to use them effectively.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    There is a bigger difference between stun guns and tasers than just shooting the probes. Stun guns just hurt like hell, a tasers probes puts the current across the body in varying frequencies that interfere with the bodies own electrical system. This (usually) incapacitates them by making them unable to control their movements well (as well as inflicting pain). As others have said, it requires practice and its a one shot deal. Not a good self defense tool IMHO, better for LE applications.

I would get her a high quality OC spray (Fox Labs) AND a striking weapon. That could be a baton or a flashlight with a crenelated bezel. I would opt for the flashlight because it serves multiple purposes.

The reason for my suggestion is that the OC will definitely blind them despite any drugs in their system. OC hurts like hell, but it is possible for someone to continue attacking while blinded and in pain, even if that involves them just start grabbing and swinging. Thats where having a 2nd tool (striking weapon) comes in handy. If they grab you before you can get away you can start swinging back and hopefully have the upper hand since you are the only one who can see. Not sure I would recommend a knife unless she will get training. I don't have any knife experience, but I imagine the chances of hurting yourself is pretty high when you don't have any training. I carry a knife, but its really just a last resort tool (used more for opening boxes than anything). Getting trained with it is on my to-do list but since I usually have my pistol, that keeps getting put on the back burner.

BrandonM

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks guys for all the input. It has really helped. Ill take a look online at the cabelas store and try to find out what they have in stock at a store close to me. Thanks again for everyones input. I love how on ingo we all help eachother! :draw:

Top Bottom