• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Man, oh, man! I just got home and had to share this. Somehow, my wife wasn't as excited as me about it...:rockwoot:

A few weeks ago, I picked up my first AK. A Yugo Underfolder from Kiesler's in Jeffersonville. I had been shopping for some sort of AK for a while, and since I love shooting my SKS so much and already had the 7.62 ammo, why not. A lot of friends directed me to the Yugo. I am so happy with the appearance and the quality so far.

I had never shot any AK until this morning. Went out to FCVCC. It was a lot hurried because the club had a full day event (from 9am on) for introducing women to shooting. This sounded like an awesome introduction to shooting and +1 to Fall Creek Valley for putting this on. -1 for me for not checking the calendar before showing up.

Anyway, got about 30 rounds off before they needed the range for the training. IT WAS A TOTAL RUSH!!! :smileak:

No wonder the magazines hold 30 rounds; anything less wouldn't be enough. Once I started shooting it, I didn't want to stop. I'm amazed at how smooth it was and so pleased with my purchase. The only big surprise to me was how sensitive the trigger was. My gosh, it was very sensitive. Is this a common feature?

Can't wait to shoot it again as I'll take it back as soon as I can and see how it compares to the SKS and others in terms of accuracy. I plan to take a little more time next visit and hopefully I'll be able to post some action shots.

Here's the U/F before taking it out and thanks for letting me share the experience...

picture.php

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    :rockwoot:I was with him and tore the AK out of his hands for a few rounds. I have an SKS and did not really expect much of a difference. Wow, what a light trigger and it just keeps going. Really a lot of fun.

Still love the SKS and stripper clips, but can't wait to shoot the AK again...maybe I need one as well.:ar15:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Congrats on the start of your new AK-addiction! The AK trigger comes in two main flavors. The two stage favored by several European countries, most notably Romania, and the single stage favored by the Chinese, and others. I like the two stage because when you aim, you can ease the trigger back right up to the let off point, and know exactly when it will go off. The single stage are very light, and after firing a Romanian for a while, picking up a Norinco made for a few fun moments. Very light triggers!

Well, now that you have one, the addiction will begin. You have one version from one country, so you need another, so you get one from another country, then one in a different configuration, then a different caliber, then another, then another, then.... :D

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got the same Yugo underfolder. I also enjoy it. :yesway: Get yourself extra mags (I've had no problems with steel surplus and PMags) and my Yugo has no problems shooting cases of Wolf ammo. That'll help keep the smile on your face longer. :D

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Welcome to the club!
    I love my Lancaster AKM.

How do you like the folding stock? I've heard they're uncomfortable to use.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'll tell ya now the SKS is going to be more accurate. I have owned each and have talked to people who have owned each. SKS is generally more accurate.

That said, AK is a fun gun to shoot!

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Wish I still had my Bulgarian AK. It was a fun shooter.. Oh well still have my SKS............. Might have to get an AK again..???!!!!!

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Astrocreep, regarding your comment/question about comfort:

"How do you like the folding stock? I've heard they're uncomfortable to use."

I bought a recoil pad from a place called FSE USA on the web (FSE USA Online Recoil Pad for AK type rifleshttp://www.fseusa.com) for $16.99. It is good quality although they gouged me a bit for $8 in shipping on the $16.99 pad. It is also pretty amazing how the specs for all of the AK's are so standard even between all of the countries and manufacturers because the pad fit like a glove.

I have to say though that the pad takes away from one of the coolest features of the Underfolder in my opinion which is that it can be folded/unfolded with the 30 round magazine in place. With the pad on, it cannot. As well, it makes me feel a little wimpy having it on there. But it did add to the comfort factor and it fit very nice and snug. Here are some photos with it installed...

It was pretty cool shooting it folded and actually very comfortable shooting that way too. :ar15:

Thanks...

Top Bottom