• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • qwerty99

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    North Central Indian
    So my dad just got into reloading and was using his reloads on a new glock 21 .45 (new in Jan, since then round count=600) when he had one go click (primer, no powder I'm guessing). He racked it and the brass came out and he was about to fire it again and I mentioned he should check the barrel and sure enough the bullet was there (FMJ).

Here are my questions: First, what would have happened if he had shot the next round without clearing the barrel? Second, he is having trouble getting the bullet out of the barrel, is there a trick to it or is there something wrong and he should take it to someone to get it fixed?

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    So my dad just got into reloading and was using his reloads on a new glock 21 .45 (new in Jan, since then round count=600) when he had one go click (primer, no powder I'm guessing). He racked it and the brass came out and he was about to fire it again and I mentioned he should check the barrel and sure enough the bullet was there (FMJ).

Here are my questions: First, what would have happened if he had shot the next round without clearing the barrel? Second, he is having trouble getting the bullet out of the barrel, is there a trick to it or is there something wrong and he should take it to someone to get it fixed?

KABOOMMM!!!

A gunsmith is the SAFEST bet, but a snug fitting wood dowel, a soft wood bench(or nylon block), and a soft face plastic hammer can get the job done. I have also known some people to place the barrel in the freezer for a while but no personal experince with that. I am sure that some one on here has experinced this more than I though.:twocents:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    As jtmarine1911 a snug fitting wood dowel will work. The tool specifically for this is called a squib rod.

To qwerty99 good on you for having him check the barrel. Could have been very bad for both the gun and you dad's hand and/or face.

damdayshifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    georgetown
    ........in the barrel........

A bullet stuck in the barrel is what killed Brandon Lee.
    The prop man pulled the bullets and dumped the powder of live shells to give the revolver a more realistic look but failed to punch out one of the primers. The actor dry fired the gun for the seen and lodged the projectile in the barrel and no one noticed it. The next seen call for full powder sound/flash charge with the gun aimed right on Brandon Lee.
    It was later stated that live ammo should never been allowed on the set.
    :twocents::popcorn:

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    The prop man pulled the bullets and dumped the powder of live shells to give the revolver a more realistic look but failed to punch out one of the primers. The actor dry fired the gun for the seen and lodged the projectile in the barrel and no one noticed it. The next seen call for full powder sound/flash charge with the gun aimed right on Brandon Lee.

I did not know that. Sad.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I had a squib load. My Lee loader has a flat head punch. I just stuck it down the barrel and gave it a tap with a hammer. It came right out.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    wood dowel rod and a few solid whacks will drive the bullet back where it came from.... do not worry its not a hard process.... give me a PM and ill remove it for ya.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    One other tip is to put some oil in the bore on the side you are driving it out of. See how far it went down the bore and push it out the shortest direction. Easier to do with an autoloader barrel With a revolver, you've got no choice!

Again, good job on checking the bore before firing again! I've seen some guys come really close to pulling the trigger after a squib at CAs shoots. Some of those guys load so light they can hardly tell the difference and they are shooting so fast, they don't think about a bullet lodged in the bore. I've also seen a sectioned barrel of a Ruger Blackhawk barrel with seveal .357 bullets lined up in the bore! However, most semi-auto barrels are much thinner than a Ruger single action barrel.

Doug K

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog

I didn't know that. I wonder what ever happened to the prop man?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Depending on how hot the load was, it would probably damage the pistol and may have caused injury to your Dad. I've seen 1911's fired with light target loads with a bullet stuck in the barrel. It blew off the grips and created a ring in the barrel. The gun smoked a lot and caused the shooter to have eyes as big as pie plates and a gaping mouth, but no injuries. After replacing the barrel and grip panels the gun was good to go again. My suggestion for removing a bullet stuck in a barrel is to remove the barrel from the gun. Saw off a 6" piece of 1/2" wooden dowel. Put the dowel into the barrel and while holding the barrel with a leather work glove, tap the dowel on a hard surface, like a cement floor.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Depending on how hot the load was, it would probably damage the pistol and may have caused injury to your Dad. I've seen 1911's fired with light target loads with a bullet stuck in the barrel. It blew off the grips and created a ring in the barrel. The gun smoked a lot and caused the shooter to have eyes as big as pie plates and a gaping mouth, but no injuries. After replacing the barrel and grip panels the gun was good to go again. My suggestion for removing a bullet stuck in a barrel is to remove the barrel from the gun. Saw off a 6" piece of 1/2" wooden dowel. Put the dowel into the barrel and while holding the barrel with a leather work glove, tap the dowel on a hard surface, like a cement floor.

This method for removing the squib sounds good except that a 1/2" dowl is not going to fit in the barrel of the .45.

I have never had a squib so bad that I could not get it out with a cleaning rod. Smaller dowl will work just fine.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This method for removing the squib sounds good except that a 1/2" dowl is not going to fit in the barrel of the .45.

I have never had a squib so bad that I could not get it out with a cleaning rod. Smaller dowl will work just fine.

Of course you are right. He would need the next smallest size dowel. I don't like to use a cleaning rod as they can flex or scrape the crown easily. I don't have squibs but rarely and have never had one in a Glock. Maybe the polygon rifling makes it easier or harder to remove a stuck bullet. I don't know. I know that jacketed bullets are harder to remove than lead from standard rifled barrels.

Top Bottom