• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    When going to the range, it is hard to not miss alllllll of th spent casings laying around on the ground. I have seen 55 gallon drums nearly half full of spent casings at the range. I was starting to think and wondered what does the range do with it? Sell it to reloaders, give it to reloaders or just sell it for the metal.

Is it a no no to pick up spent brass off the ground at the range? Do you look like a douchebag or douchbaggette. I just see money on the ground.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    When going to the range, it is hard to not miss alllllll of th spent casings laying around on the ground. I have seen 55 gallon drums nearly half full of spent casings at the range. I was starting to think and wondered what does the range do with it? Sell it to reloaders, give it to reloaders or just sell it for the metal.

Is it a no no to pick up spent brass off the ground at the range? Do you look like a douchebag or douchbaggette. I just see money on the ground.

I take my brass with me and if "other" brass ends up in my bag oh well. I dont really go looking for it like i see some doing, but if i sweep up a really large area then :dunno:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I say if no one is looking and its just sitting there stuff your pockets, your gear bag, your socks, your hat, your drink cooler, your empty ammo boxes, or hell back your car up open the trunk and shovel it in.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The range I work at you as the shooter are entitled to your brass, any brass in the barrel or left on the ground belongs to the range. We reload our own ammo and sell unprocessed brass to re loaders at roughly half the price it can be found on the internet. .22 brass and damaged brass are recycled.

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    I have two .30 cal ammo cans full of spent .223 and 9mm waiting for me to buy a press. I was just not sure because I have seen others looking over their shoulders and at the RO then pick up casings as fast as they can.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    It depends on the range. At mine, I'll always pick up extra on the pistol range and at the benches on the rifle range. I try to pick up the steel and toss it in the trash too.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    If it's there and nobody else is shooting it's mine. If others are shooting I'll ask them if they are keeping theirs or not and if not I'll ask if they care if I take it. Most times at my range there may be only yourself or 1 other at any given time so it's not big deal. YMMV based on your range.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Ask first though. I have heard many stories of people that will pick up others brass as it is hitting the ground, without saying a word. If you ask, the worst a person can say is no. Not asking and taking anyway makes the person a thief.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i dont reload, if others there are shooting same caliber, i ask them if they do, if so, i pick up my brass and give it to them, if not it goes in the bucket. if i remember right, at the range i usually shoot at, the bucket is fair game. if you reload a certain caliber and its in there, grab it, and only it, rest gets sent for scrap.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If it's there and nobody else is shooting it's mine. If others are shooting I'll ask them if they are keeping theirs or not and if not I'll ask if they care if I take it. Most times at my range there may be only yourself or 1 other at any given time so it's not big deal. YMMV based on your range.

:+1:

There is a certain etiquette involved and this guy has it figured out.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    :+1:

There is a certain etiquette involved and this guy has it figured out.

Thanks I try to just be polite. I have had people try and just start up a conversation and in the meantime try and confiscate my brass while doing so. I simply tell them, hey I keep my brass so please don't do that. Kind of befuddles some of them. Then if that doesn't work I just do this :draw: :laugh:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks I try to just be polite. I have had people try and just start up a conversation and in the meantime try and confiscate my brass while doing so. I simply tell them, hey I keep my brass so please don't do that. Kind of befuddles some of them. Then if that doesn't work I just do this :draw: :laugh:

I've had guys who were seemingly trying to catch mine before it hit the ground...whatever happened to not taking anything w/o asking, first? Now, brass left on the ground that needs to be cleaned up after people leave? That's just a gratuity for helping pick up the mess. :D

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The other day a few guys showed up and all of them were shooting .45 cal. I didn't pay much attention and they shot some rounds for about 20 minutes and left. I emptied another mag and went looking for my spent casings. Low and behold these guys left about 100 spent casings so I happily cleaned up their mess and disposed of it into my range bag. Hey, go green i say.

nfranke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Westport
    if its on the ground id say its just helping cleanup, but out of the barrels they might get a little more upset depending on what that particular range does with spent brass

Top Bottom