Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is an image of the school.
    map.bmp

The annual summer festival is held in the parking lot in the center of the picture. Carnival rides, game booths, food stands, etc are all in that area. At the entrance to the school gym but still on the parking lot they set up a very tall fence and enclose the bear garden area where there is a stage for the bands. At the entrance of the beer garden (:alcoholic: and :cheers: ) their typically is one LEO and also 2 large signs on each side that says "No firearms beyond this point".

I've been thinking of this for a while but have not had a chance to post it and I think I know the answer but still want to see what others think.

FACT 1:
    The entire block of BOARD, OAK, ELM and LAFAYETTE is school property (minus the sidewalks) and thus is a no gun zone.

FACT 2:
    From LAFAYETTE and going EAST to where the 2nd diamond baseball field is at is also part of the school so that is also a school zone (minus the sidewalks again).

So with this in mind what is the point of the signs if the festival is in the parking lot which is school property and thus a gun free zone already.

Is not the school being misleading to it's customers when it post this sign which would then imply that the rest of the festival (in the parking lot) is OK to carry? Grant the law says otherwise and thus you are still in jeopardy. Or would this sign be enough "written notice" to allow you to carry in the other festival areas and thus give one the exception that the law states?

Just wondering. I've only gone once to the fest but that sign has stuck in my mind.

-Jedi

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    U think you are being "reminded." Don't take a risk by assuming that the sign allows carry in other places on school grounds unless it is EXPLICITLY stated that you can do so.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    U think you are being "reminded." Don't take a risk by assuming that the sign allows carry in other places on school grounds unless it is EXPLICITLY stated that you can do so.

So is the fest being misleading to it's customers and can it be held liable for that? :dunno:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It's probably a sign that is used by the people running the carnival part of the festival (assuming it probably isn't the school). Maybe sometimes they do festivals in places where it is normally legal to carry (such as on a public street), and the notice is applicable.

Either way, the sign doesn't change or make any exception to the law.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes it could be considered misleading, but I don't see where there would be any lability on their part. School property is a no carry zone, and it's not their problem if someone is unaware of the law.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Me thinks you doth over ponder.

A posted sign does not negate the law. There is no explicitly stating carrying elsewhere on property is OK. A would think the sign serves as a not so subtle reminder that firearms are prohibited.

I can post a sign a my house that says, "gravity in effect inside". That doesn't mean you'll fly off into space once you leave.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Jedi, It's kinda all the same as it is at a school... They mislead everyone in there... It's part of thier concept of education in general... Never state all the trueth and never completely explain something...

JettaKnight, I like that...

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Would the sign have any authority if it said "Everyone welcome to carry a weapon of your choice?"

Nope! It would still be a sick bird.............Ill Eagle!
    Well if it was written permission from the appropriate people as defined here:
    IC 35-47-9-1
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    Authorizing everyone to carry a weapon of their choice, then.....:dunno:

Which means the sign does beg the question, of if you're outside the beer garden, is the school or another person who owns or operates the property being used by a school for a school function to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function or participate in any other activity authorized by a school willing to grant authorization for exemption of IC 35-47-9-2? Makes me think it would almost be worth asking the proper people.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The sign IS technically correct. No guns are allowed past that point. They are also not allowed PRIOR to that point, all the way back to the public sidewalk.

I'm guessing it is a "stock" sign the festival folks use wherever they set up.

Bear Beer Garden?
    0511-0702-1411-4816_Bear_Holding_a_Beer_clipart_image.jpg

Top Bottom