• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Since 1997 I have kind of felt like a fish out of water. When I was in the Army, my unit was deployed four times and although we were comprised of people from every conceivable lifestyle, including racists of all colors, homosexuals, alcoholics, etc., I felt safe. When the rubber hit the road, we were a unit and we watched out for each other and put all differences behind us. I don't see this in civilian life.

When I decided to stay in the Army after Panama and Saudi, people asked, why? They said, "You can do better than the Army." and "Why don't you go OCS." I got this crap on one side. On the other, I saw the yellow ribbons around trees and fellow soldiers being interviewed on television saying, "I do this because I love my country." and "I'm fighting for our freedom." Honestly, I have never believed this was the case when it came to me.

I joined the Army to get money for college. I stayed in the Army because of those guys in my unit. I volunteered for certain tasks because of the guys in my unit. Everything I did was out of love for those guys in my unit.

Not to discount anyone's service, but for those of you who have/had reenlisted after being in combat, or even in theatre, my question to you is, did you do it for your country or those guys around you? To make this clear, I'm not asking why you joined, but why you stayed?

This part in Blackhawk Down always says it all for me:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lsBwy-mRA]YouTube - BlackHawk Down "The Man Next To Ya"[/ame]

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Old men will speak of the glory of it
    Politicians will speak of the need for it
    But the men who fight it just want to go home
    -I don't remember what movie that was from-

I had an E-7 who never went home for leave, just went to other bases on hops for vacation. He always said "Civilians don't know sh*t"

My Gunner in Korea was a prior service Marine that got out and went home. Turned out he didn't like civilians anymore, couldn't relate, so he joined the Army.

A friend of mine from Germany many years ago thought about getting out but he liked belonging to something bigger than himself. He was killed the first week of the Iraq war in the convoy that Jennifer Lynch was part of.

Lots of stories.
    Lots of reasons.
    Sometimes that is just what people are. That is why God loves soldiers.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I had an E-7 who never went home for leave, just went to other bases on hops for vacation. He always said "Civilians don't know sh*t"

My Gunner in Korea was a prior service Marine that got out and went home. Turned out he didn't like civilians anymore, couldn't relate, so he joined the Army.

A friend of mine from Germany many years ago thought about getting out but he liked belonging to something bigger than himself. He was killed the first week of the Iraq war in the convoy that Jennifer Lynch was part of.

Lots of stories.
    Lots of reasons.
    Sometimes that is just what people are. That is why God loves soldiers.

Yeah, today is a day I miss my unit more that I have in 12 years. I wonder if the NG or Reserves will take a 41 year old prior service? I guess I could serve in the JAG. It wouldn't be the same, but it would be better that nothing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

There is one more...
    Some of us like it. At least I must with as many years in Indian Country as I have. Either that or I am a Masochist... :dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Que,
    I do it cause I am good at it.
    I do it cause being a Civilian sucks.
    I do it because it needs done.
    I do it cause I am luckier than some.
    I do it to teach the next batch of FNGs.
    I do it for the trill of it.
    I do it cause there is no feeling in the World like the it.
    I do it cause I am a damm good Sergeant.

And yes I do it mostly for my Brothers and Sisters next to me...

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i reenlisted because they waved $7500 tax free in front of me for what amounts to 2 months worth of work(barring another deployment). i joined the reserves after ad because i couldnt do my job anymore due to injury, and i felt miserable i hadnt deployed with any of my friends or any of the leadership i really respected. its been over three years since i left Division, and i think thats the last time i was really happy with my life.

im not a recruiter, but i believe the army will take you back. i think the cut off age is 39 +1 year for every year of service you have. or something like that.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There was a story about a Corpsman who enlisted at an advanced age. He did so after his son was KIA. I'll try to dig up the story.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    At an age when most orthopaedic surgeons contemplate retirement, 61-year-old William B. Krissoff, MD, left a flourishing practice for a new life as a lieutenant commander in the Navy Medical Corps. Dr. Krissoff may be deployed to Iraq as early as this fall, to treat wounded Marines as a member of a combat surgical team.
    Although Dr. Krissoff says he feels “honored and privileged” to be part of the 4th Medical Battalion, the path that led him there is one that no parent wants to travel.
    His decision to enlist was inspired by his eldest son—1st Lt. Nathan (“Nate”) Krissoff—who was killed on Dec. 9, 2006, by a roadside bomb in Iraq. Dr. Krissoff’s other son, Austin, is also a Marine—a 2nd lieutenant, currently stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif.
    “Nothing prepares you for the loss of a son,” Dr. Krissoff says. “It goes against the natural order of things. It’s just not the way life should be.”
    According to life’s “natural order,” fathers set the example for their sons. But the news of Nate’s death reversed that dynamic for the Krissoff family.
    “I’ve always been inspired by my sons’ dedication to service in the Marines, so I’m following their lead,” Dr. Krissoff says. “It seems the right thing to do.”

youraaos5-1.gif

William B. Krissoff, MD, (right) with his son, 1st Lt. Nathan Krissoff, USMC
    Getting up to speed
    Dr. Krissoff and his wife, Christine, have shuttered his solo orthopaedic practice in Truckee, Calif.—where he worked for 28 years—and relocated to San Diego, closer to his reserve center.
    Dr. Krissoff is training to be part of a forward resuscitative surgical system (FRSS) team—a mobile surgical unit consisting of an orthopaedist, a general surgeon, an anesthesiologist, and five or six corpsmen and nurses. As an FRSS orthopaedist, he will do early stabilization, clean wounds, apply fixators, and help the general surgeon in lifesaving techniques.
    His goal is to be “deployable” by early summer. He’s already attended Navy Officer’s School in Newport, R.I. Next is a combat casualty care course at Fort Sam Houston in Texas, followed by a field medicine course at Camp Pendleton.
    “Nothing is the same for us”
    As “right” as it felt to join the Navy Medical Corps, the decision took some soul-searching.
    After Nate’s death, the Krissoff family received “huge support” from family, friends, colleagues, patients, and the Marine Corps. By January 2007, Dr. Krissoff and his wife had reopened their Truckee office.
    “It was good to go back; it helped us get up in the morning and get through the day,” he says.
    But it wasn’t the same, and it never would be.
    Last summer, Dr. Krissoff mulled over the idea of doing something different with his life. He reflected on his sons’ devotion to service in the Marines.
    After speaking to a good friend—a colonel in the Army Reserves who had been deployed to Iraq several times as a general surgeon—Dr. Krissoff applied to the Army Reserve.
    His heart lay with the Marines, though, so he also contacted Lt. Cmdr. Ken Hopkins, a Navy recruiter in the San Francisco area.
    The Navy’s initial response was disheartening. The cutoff age for Navy medical officer enlistees is 42, and Dr. Krissoff was then 60 years old.
    “It’s possible,” he was told, but it would be a long and difficult process. “We haven’t taken anybody your age in this area,” Lt. Cmdr. Hopkins warned him.
    Karl Rove to the rescue
    An unexpected call from the White House would turn his fortunes, however, and kick his plans into high-gear.
    In August 2007, the Krissoffs were invited to meet President George W. Bush, who was traveling to Reno, Nev., to speak to the American Legion. They accepted.
    The small group included the Krissoffs and others who were grappling with the loss of loved ones in Iraq and Afghanistan. Anticipating a quick “meet and greet,” they were pleasantly surprised at the personal nature of the meeting.
    “It was a solemn experience,” Dr. Krissoff recalls. “We all sat down with the president and talked for about an hour. It felt like he had all the time in the world to spend with us.”
    As the meeting drew to a close, President Bush asked if there was anything he could do for them.
    Dr. Krissoff seized the moment.
    “There is one thing! I want to join the Navy Medical Corps, but they discouraged me because I’m too old … And I’m younger than you are, sir!” he joked.
    The president deferred to Mrs. Krissoff, who steadfastly supports her husband’s decision. With her “thumbs up,” the president said, “We’ll see what we can do.”
    Karl Rove approached Dr. Krissoff with a card and said, “Fax your papers to my office at the White House today.”
    “You’ve got your age waiver!”
    Two days later, Mr. Rove hand carried those papers to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The next morning, Lt. Cmdr. Hopkins called Dr. Krissoff, saying, “You’ve got your age waiver!”
    “That day, Lt. Cmdr. Hopkins drove to my office in Truckee with a stack of 30 documents,” Dr. Krissoff recalls. “I had to go through a lengthy credentialing review—virtually back to high school—along with Navy documents, professional references, and a security clearance. It was pretty exhaustive, but we managed to do a year’s worth of work in 2 months.”
    On Nov. 17, 2007—surrounded by family and friends—Dr. Krissoff was commissioned as a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy Medical Corps. His 4-year commitment with the 4th Medical Battalion—a reserve unit “on the green side”—means he’ll be treating Marines.
    The typical Marine deployment rotation is 7 months, which can be stressful for young orthopaedists.
    “These docs are home for 6 or 7 months, and then they’re getting ready to deploy again,” he says. “So to a certain extent, it’s easier for someone who’s older and has already raised a family.”
    Military docs “get it”
    There are those who ‘get it’—the concept of service to one’s country—and those who don’t, Dr. Krissoff says.
    “This isn’t like World War II where everyone’s involved in the war effort,” he says. “I’ve been called ‘nuts’ for leaving my busy elective practice in Truckee.”
    But the medical professionals, nurses, techs, and corpsmen of the 4th Medical Battalion—they all ‘get it,’ he says. “These men and women come from all over the country—on their own nickel—to work for their reserve weekend. They don’t get paid a lot to be there, either, but you never hear a complaint about reimbursement. They do it for the chance to give back. I think they have a ‘higher calling.’”
    The contrast between military medicine and private practice is stark, Dr. Krissoff says. “There’s just a different focus; it’s all about getting up to speed and caring for injured soldiers. It’s clear cut.”
    The Navy: “We’re hiring”
    “The 4th Medical Battalion is hiring,” Capt. John Williams, MD, Dr. Krissoff’s commanding officer, wants orthopaedists to know.
    “If you are looking for a new challenge, whether it’s volunteer work or service or giving back, this is something to consider,” Dr. Krissoff says. “There truly is a need on the reserve side—that’s something I didn’t understand before.”
    The Navy is looking for orthopaedists, anesthesiologists, and emergency medicine physicians. Recruits like Dr. Krissoff—who qualify in every other category—will receive an age waiver. He just got his a little quicker.
    “If you’re in good health, the fact that you’re in your late 50s or early 60s won’t preclude you from service,” he says. “They want experienced guys. They couldn’t be happier to have me on board.”
    Of course, you have to be prepared to essentially close your practice and devote time to service, he points out. “That’s why I feel so lucky this came at this time.”
    Service is “a good thing”
    Dr. Krissoff is quick to deflect any praise for his decision to enlist.
    “I’m just a doc who’s got some skills that I can apply here,” he insists. “This is really about the marines and soldiers and sailors who put their lives on the line. Some—like Nate—have made the ultimate sacrifice, and others have sustained severe injuries but are determined to get back to active duty. If I can help them, then that’s a good thing.”
    Carolyn Rogers is a staff writer for AAOS Now. She can be reached at rogers@aaos.org
    Losing Nate
    Commissioned in August 2004, 1st Lt. Nate Krissoff was deployed to Iraq on Sept. 11, 2006—the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. The affable, energetic young man served as a counterintelligence officer (CI) with the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, patrolling the smaller towns outside Fallujah.
    “CI officers typically work with a HET—a Human Intelligence Exploitation Team,” explains Nate’s father, William B. Krissoff, MD. “They conduct on-the-ground interviews, seek out local intelligence, and sort out the players in their area of operations.”
    This time, however, there was no HET; Nate was “the guy”—the sole CI officer in his 250-member battalion.
    In the early morning hours of Dec. 9, 2006, as Nate and three fellow Marines were returning to their base at Camp Fallujah, their Humvee struck a roadside bomb. Nate bore the brunt of the explosion and was killed instantly. The other Marines were injured, some severely.
    “It was bad luck,” Dr. Krissoff says, “but it was also a very dangerous time, during the height of the violence in the Al Anbar province. It’s virtually the opposite today—kids are playing in the markets. From everyone I’ve talked to, it’s night and day.”
    AAOS Now
    March 2008 Issue

Surgeon enlists to honor fallen son

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We weren't at war when I got off active duty. While I was in the guard, 911 happened. I kicked around the thought of going back to active duty but it would had to have been on my terms. They would have to guarantee that I'd go to theatre and that I would be discharged within 30 days of my tour being over. I wasn't going to sign up for several years to only do a 6 month hitch.

I got out of the guard in 03. I wasn't going to get deployed with that cluster foxtrot unless I had to. 90% of my leadership was worthless in active and guard.

There would be almost no situation today that would make me go back. Go risk my life so Suzy down the road can worship Obama? So that Johnny can actively work to destroy my freedoms? Sorry, the majority of this country doesn't deserve to see the blood of patriots spilled on their behalf. We send our patriots off to die for others while liberty is dying on the vine here.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was never in service but my father and brothers were. I am in the service INDUSTRY; and I see military vs civilian decision similar to manufacturing vs service (industry). GUYS like to make something they can be proud of.

Manufacturing and military service, though not being equated, both can give pride in what you have done. For me, the inability to take home what I do everyday, regardless of income, is frustrating. I compare that to my time in manufacturing.

My Dad served for 20 years, then went into manufacturing for 23 plus various other things in between.

Just my simple thought on this. Again, guys like to make something, or make something better of themselves. I would like to see stats on ex enlisted that go on to be college professors. THAT seems like it would be incompatible with the soul of a solider.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We weren't at war when I got off active duty. While I was in the guard, 911 happened. I kicked around the thought of going back to active duty but it would had to have been on my terms. They would have to guarantee that I'd go to theatre and that I would be discharged within 30 days of my tour being over. I wasn't going to sign up for several years to only do a 6 month hitch.

I got out of the guard in 03. I wasn't going to get deployed with that cluster foxtrot unless I had to. 90% of my leadership was worthless in active and guard.

There would be almost no situation today that would make me go back. Go risk my life so Suzy down the road can worship Obama? So that Johnny can actively work to destroy my freedoms? Sorry, the majority of this country doesn't deserve to see the blood of patriots spilled on their behalf. We send our patriots off to die for others while liberty is dying on the vine here.

I think you hit the point of my post. I -- and this is only my personal opinion -- can never say I did anything out of love for my country. Yes, I love America, but to risk my life I need(ed) something more tangible. Knowing that if it came down to it, giving my life would allow my soldier to see his son that was born while we were deployed or that newlywed to see his first anniversary, meant more to me that this broad "serving democracy" stuff I heard so much.

For me, it was never about country, but friendship and brotherhood. If others benefit from that in what I deem to be a negative way, I don't care.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The longer I'm out, the more I wish I was back in. My time in was the best years of my life. I joined in big part because of the 9/11 attacks. Plus I felt like I needed to give back to my country. That and I wanted to do something, that in my eyes meant something. Something I could be proud of. Now that I'm going back to the school, I'm glad I have the GI bill. I was looking at going into the Naval reserves. Until I found out I have degenerative back disease. Some days I hate being a civilian, but you have to play the cards you are dealt.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    There was a story about a Corpsman who enlisted at an advanced age. He did so after his son was KIA. I'll try to dig up the story.
    Thanks for the story. It was inspiring.

I never joined the military because I have a problem with authority. I'm not nearly as hot headed today, thanks to a different road traveled, but looking back, I feel I would probably have done well in the military.

It's not for everyone.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    From We were Soldiers...last line...

Joe Galloway ~ In Saigon, Hal Moore's superiors congratulated him for killing over 1,800 enemy soldiers. Then ordered him to lead the Seventh Cavalry back into the valley of death. He led them and fought beside them for 235 more days. Some had families waiting. For others, their only family would be the men they bled beside. There were no bands, no flags, no Honor Guards to welcome them home. They went to war because their country ordered them to. But in the end, they fought not for their country or their flag, the fought for each other. We Were Soldiers

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom