No alcohol or Diet coke for a month - can I do it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So I'm sitting at work having finished my fourth serving of diet coke for the day and it struck me that maybe I should try avoiding that for a month and see what happens. I'm guessing I'll lose weight even though it's diet since it's an appetite stimulant. As long as I'm stopping the diet coke I'll stop alcohol to and see what happens. The nightly beer/wine may not be worth the pounds that I could lose by not having it.

I'll update the thread as the month progresses. I haven't checked, but I sure hope the superbowl is in February this year :)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Be sure to have some excedrine on hand in case you start getting caffine headaches.

I am very curious how this works out for you. Please do update as it goes!

BTW: it's a great SHTF test since in a prolonged outage there isn't gonna be a supply of soda.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So I'm sitting at work having finished my fourth serving of diet coke for the day and it struck me that maybe I should try avoiding that for a month and see what happens. I'm guessing I'll lose weight even though it's diet since it's an appetite stimulant. As long as I'm stopping the diet coke I'll stop alcohol to and see what happens. The nightly beer/wine may not be worth the pounds that I could lose by not having it.

I'll update the thread as the month progresses. I haven't checked, but I sure hope the superbowl is in February this year :)

I have been told that you should only work on one addiction at as time. I can confirm that I have yet to see anyone who tried to quit smoking and drinking at the same time successful with either.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm quitting smoking again. I am also trying to give up soda.

I am cutting as much soda out as I can. I have been having a large fountain Mt. Dew and drinking it from sunup to sundown. I'm trying to cut down to 12oz with meals.

Then when I quit smoking for good, I'm going to only drink milk, juice, and water.

HFCS is the devil.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well, the alcohol isn't an addiction. I probably have a beer 2-3 times a week. It's just extra calories that I don't need. The diet coke is surely an addiction. I don't get caffeine withdrawal headaches either. I've stopped for a week in the last few months when my heartburn flares up. The more I work with less sleep leads to more caffeine which has been flaring up around the holidays with all the extra activities to fit in.

It's been 90 minutes and I feel great :):

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm quitting smoking again. I am also trying to give up soda.

I am cutting as much soda out as I can. I have been having a large fountain Mt. Dew and drinking it from sunup to sundown. I'm trying to cut down to 12oz with meals.

Then when I quit smoking for good, I'm going to only drink milk, juice, and water.

HFCS is the devil.

Good luck on the smokes. It'll be the best thing you can do for yourself in your life. If you're drinking that much Dew, you are going to have caffeine withdrawal which means potentially pretty bad headaches and restlessness for a day or two...try to take two days off work to get over that....IE quit drinking Dew on Friday at noon and plan on staying home with a hurt head for most of Saturday. Find an aspirin tablet that contains some caffeine, it'll help with the headaches.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I had a co-worker drop mountain dew. He was drinking 20 ounce bottles one after another. He switched to Lipton green tea and shed a lot of weight. Keep the updates coming. I'm thinking of going "green".... Tea that is.:D

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I don't know much about tea. This guy was drinking green tea with nothing added? No artificial sweetener?

I had a co-worker drop mountain dew. He was drinking 20 ounce bottles one after another. He switched to Lipton green tea and shed a lot of weight. Keep the updates coming. I'm thinking of going "green".... Tea that is.:D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I know I should, but I also know sanity in this household is more important than a Diet Coke addiction. I'll start up smoking again if I quit the pop so.....I'll keep the pop. Maybe when the kids are older (out of the house and on their own) I won't feel the need to self-medicate with something to ingest. Until then, I subscribe to the "If that's my only vice, then the rest of the world can suck it."

Good luck, doc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, the alcohol isn't an addiction...

Doh, that came out quick...;)

The unnecessary money wasted was the predominant way I kicked unwanted habits. That and not wanting to die from them. :rolleyes:

I still have a nasty $1.10 a day coffee habit. I'd like to find a cheaper habit, but I don't think this one will kill me anyway.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    So... Coke Zero, then? Its a lot better tasting than Diet Coke is anyhow.

I'll be sure to text you pics of my Diet Dr. Pepper and Pepsi Max. Hehe

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    You can do it! Mind over matter. You'll definitely shed a few pounds, too. I've been on team water for several months. Sometimes it's REALLY hard. I think the idea of the indulgence is more satisfying than the actual indulgence (at least for me). Anyway, good luck to you! If you have a weak moment, just think about your kidneys! :)

images

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you want to do that im not sure if you will see any result in just a month.
    Of course you're the doc, not me. :):
    Do you also have a plan to workout and burn calories on top of that?

Good luck anyway.

Top Bottom