• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    No. 11, new design to try new things. This one I am calling the SPK (Small Pokey Knife), and it is 5/32" O-1 Tool Steel 5 7/8" OAL, 2 3/4" Blade, 3 1/8" Handle. Blended lines satin finished. Black Canvas Micarta for scales and brass pins. 1/4" lanyard hole.

I had fun doing this one. Started it two nights ago and was up till about two after I got the kids to bed finishing it.

10006242_10151964960502826_484234374_n.jpg

Last edited:

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    2 questions.... 1: Are you doing your own HTing? (oven?) 2: Are you making your own canvas Micarta?
    My reasoning is that I have been experimenting myself with both and trying to justify buying an oven or send out.
    thanks for the input
    Troy

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Yes, the HT is being done by me. Built a "bean can forge" and am doing it. I spent about a week: heating, quenching, and tempering pieces of steel. Wrote down soak times, color, etc. Then it was on to filing on each piece, dropping it, bending it, hitting it with a hammer, and then sending some to a buddy who has access to a hardness tester. I've got a formula for to get me fairly good results, but am nowhere near getting all I can from the metal.

That said, if you're only going to do a few I would send them out to someone. I'd say I've gotten some of it figured out, but the are of eye heat treating isn't something you learn overnight. I am currently saving up for an Oven and when I do will offer up my services to those who just need one or two blanks done.

I've made Micarta before.... buy it as I do now. I am sure at some point I will make more, but it's a mess.

Top Bottom