• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was in Rural King last night picking up some goodies. While I was waiting for paper work and background check........I must have seen at least 3 and up to 5 buyers denied NICS check.

Is this really that common?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For my brother it is. He gets delayed or denied almost every single time. And he's been fairly well behaved. There must b another guy out there with the same name that he gets confused with.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    For my brother it is. He gets delayed or denied almost every single time. And he's been fairly well behaved. There must b another guy out there with the same name that he gets confused with.

Exactly my problem. Bad guy in florida. I foumd out it was florida after being stopped one night and questioned. I solved the bacjground check problem by contacting nics and getting a PIN. i use that instead of my ssan and never have had a problem since.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    There were at least 3 denied outright then 1 guy had a lay a way he came to pick up and his NICS was "open" whatever that means, I assumed delayed....but RK said policy is to not sell to them, they refunded his down payment. Another was denied over incorrect address on ID & application. He used his new address on form but DL had old address.

I was just kind of surprised there is that many denials. They denied more than they approved. Does the ATF keep the denied apps?

On another note. RK took care of me....kind of slow, but they were busy so I understood that.

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    I had never been "sent upstairs" until just last year. I figured it was from all of the vitriol I had shouted out on facebook against the liberal communist government. It happens every time I buy a gun now. Not sure if its just me because I have seen it at RK, 4 guns and my LGS. I think the government is being passive aggressive with everyone on the Kenyans orders.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

My dad use to go through that all the time with his permit in the 70's. My dad was a Jr......there was another guy who had the same last name and his first name was Junior.

For some reason if I don't use my SS#.......they usually delay me, but with SS# it takes about 15 seconds. Go figure.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Exactly my problem. Bad guy in florida. I foumd out it was florida after being stopped one night and questioned. I solved the bacjground check problem by contacting nics and getting a PIN. i use that instead of my ssan and never have had a problem since.
    He did that (he says) and still has the problem.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There were at least 3 denied outright then 1 guy had a lay a way he came to pick up and his NICS was "open" whatever that means, I assumed delayed....but RK said policy is to not sell to them, they refunded his down payment. Another was denied over incorrect address on ID & application. He used his new address on form but DL had old address.

I was just kind of surprised there is that many denials. They denied more than they approved. Does the ATF keep the denied apps?

On another note. RK took care of me....kind of slow, but they were busy so I understood that.
    When you go purchase a firearm you need to have your act together. Not having a valid driver's license, just puts the ball in your court. Being delayed isn't a big deal. Most real gun shops will hold your gun for 3 days and within that time NICS usually responds. Without any NICS response in 3 days, the law says the seller can transfer the gun, but some shops might have a policy of not selling the gun without a NICS response. Every time Obama opens his mouth regarding gun restrictions, sales go up and NICS gets busy. I wouldn't be surprised with a "delayed" simply because of the increase in checks. OTOH, I have a fairly common name and my NICS check always comes back instantly. Maybe having had so many federal background checks and security clearances in the past has me on a "first name" basis with the federal government.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When you go purchase a firearm you need to have your act together. Not having a valid driver's license, just puts the ball in your court. Being delayed isn't a big deal. Most real gun shops will hold your gun for 3 days and within that time NICS usually responds. Without any NICS response in 3 days, the law says the seller can transfer the gun, but some shops might have a policy of not selling the gun without a NICS response. Every time Obama opens his mouth regarding gun restrictions, sales go up and NICS gets busy. I wouldn't be surprised with a "delayed" simply because of the increase in checks. OTOH, I have a fairly common name and my NICS check always comes back instantly. Maybe having had so many federal background checks and security clearances in the past has me on a "first name" basis with the federal government.

yep. Another reason to not buy at a big box retailer. I know Dicks also won't release a firearm without an outright approval. That seems to be the new policy of these places.

st33da

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Greenfield
    I get delayed every single time. I got tired of it and even went through the process of getting a UPIN. Guess what? Yup, I still get delayed. The past few times I have called the NICS Customer Service number to see what the deal is and they claim that they never received my UPIN on my 4473. I know for a fact that is not the case. Even though I know the FFL had submitted my UPIN, I then have to ask them to call and have them "attach" my UPIN to my NTN number. Then I get the green light in about 60 seconds. The whole process is a PITA.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    It seems like a 50/50 shoot for me on getting delayed or not.

But I will say that the NICS system itself is better to deal with than the TICS system that TN uses. Other than the $10 fee they charge for the background check you have 2 options there.
    1 - Proceed. Which means you leave with the gun.
    2 - Deny w/ Appeal. You are denied and have to fill out a form (this form here) and send it to the TBI in Nashville.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Quite a few (of theirs) have been delayed, according to our local RK store/employee in a conversation, yesterday. He estimated that much of it is simply the fallout from 2016 'high volume' gun sales.

A small store in another county had one approved for me in minutes this morning, thankfully. HNGD!

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I never get delayed but it always goes to the second level. Absolutely no clue why. I guess I should be happy I'm not delayed instead of sweating why in the world I'm the only person in the world that always goes to the second level. :)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    yep. Another reason to not buy at a big box retailer. I know Dicks also won't release a firearm without an outright approval. That seems to be the new policy of these places.
    Some of the big box stores have had trouble with ATF, due to poorly trained sales clerks making paperwork mistakes. Some of the big box stores have had their licenses suspended. I'm sure that they are being especially careful to not rock the boat and lose their licenses permanently.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Guess I am one of the "lucky" ones. I have never been delayed or denied. For the last few years I have had my FFL-03 so am sure that has something to do with it. Also I'm sure my name is not as common as some either. I had purchased a number of firearms prior to my FFL, but guess the BATF wasn't as busy then.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom