• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I was at a LGS today making a trade and the NICS was delayed/put on hold. They told me to come back on Friday, but that if it came back approved sooner they would call. I thought they could only delay it 3 days, but looked online and the FBI's website says that a transaction delayed on Monday can be completed on Friday.

I've never been delayed for more than 15-20 minutes..... I feel so dirty.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Huh. The law USED to state very categorically that in the event no answer was received within 3 days the sale could proceed. i had not heard of any change so this is a surprise to me. I just picked up a new pistol Friday and the check took maybe 5 minutes at most. It's always been very rapid for me, takes longer to fill the form out. (knock on wood.)

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    QUICK purchase from me on Sunday. Took me longer to decide on lunch, that it did to get my new Browing Buckmark Supressor ready.. and ready it was.. Nice guy, ate up all the suppressor rounds I sent through it.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I would expect to be delayed from here on out. Most of my customers who get delayed, get delayed with every purchase. We are getting ready to start requiring customers to eat some bacon before they do the paperwork. Can't be to careful.

Bradis Guns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010

Right. The delay period itself is 3 business days, which does not count the day on which the NICS check was performed. If no answer is received by NICS in that timeframe, the Brady Law allows the dealer to release the firearm on the FOURTH business day. Weekends and holidays also do not count toward the 3 business days, even though the NICS system is open for business.

Also bear in mind that some retailers will refuse to release the firearm until a result is received from NICS, even though the law does not require them to hold the gun longer than the 3 business days. We hear about this happening a lot at the "big box" stores, whose bread and butter is not firearm sales. This can be problematic, because in many cases, the retailer never receives a further result from NICS, or the update comes weeks or even months after the check was first performed.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    We had a delay yesterday. My buddy and I do FFL stuff on the side right now. So it was our first delay. We read through the handbook and if we get informed that it is a go, it can be transferred before the 3 days. If we do not get a response, then we wait the 3 days.

Denial is is a different story.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yup, this.

Not always.

My tip based on conversations and threads here, if you get delayed, no matter how good of a deal you find at a big box like Rural King or Dicks, dont try it. (since delays are persistent) They require an explicit "proceed" to release the firearm to the buyer. Corporate policy prevents them from following the 3 day rule. I've read and been told of horror stories about folks who got a delayed who never could get their gun because the store wouldnt release without that proceed. They would go back week after week and get another "delayed" and would never get anywhere. Its my understanding that with the agents so overwhelmed, they almost never call the store to cancel the delay because they know the store doesnt need it after 3 days. (no news is good news)

Or if you do go to a big box store to try to chance it, make sure they dont take your $$ before the NICS check so you can cancel the sale upon a delay.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Shop called this afternoon and said they received the "proceed," so I went and picked up my gat. I have a fairly common name so I always include my SSN, but that doesn't mean the clerk provided it when he called it in. Who knows.

All is good, but I would hate to have to go through this every time.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Shop called this afternoon and said they received the "proceed," so I went and picked up my gat. I have a fairly common name so I always include my SSN, but that doesn't mean the clerk provided it when he called it in. Who knows.

All is good, but I would hate to have to go through this every time.

Good news!

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have been delayed every time I purchased a handgun from the lgs. Does t take usually more than a day to be resolved but seriously, I get checked through Indiana homeland more than the pope.. Wth.. Thanks a lot Obama!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom