• ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    So I was thinking.
    If the feds pass the traqvesty of having all private sellers have to go to a dealer to pay for a NICS, that would be a great way for the feds to collect a sales tax on the transaction.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    So...how many other used goods have tax collected on them when they are sold privately?

Sales tax was already collected on he gun once. Won't be again.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Already happens in some states. Tennessee has its own system, TICS, that uses the NICS system among others. They charge $10.00 for it. They processed almost 92,000 checks in December 2012 alone, up from almost 59,000 in November 2012. Think of the cash flow. Over $900,000.00 in gun tax in December.
    I'm sure other states will follow suit sooner than later, if the DC folks don't push it first.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    other than the fact that a background check is a service and last I checked you don't pay sales tax on services... just goods bought

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    So I was thinking.
    If the feds pass the traqvesty of having all private sellers have to go to a dealer to pay for a NICS, that would be a great way for the feds to collect a sales tax on the transaction.

The Fed doesn't collect sales tax. Sales tax or use tax is collected by the state. Auto transactions have sales or use taxes collected because they are required to be titled within the state. I cannot see how a state could use the Federal NICS information to charge a sales or use tax.

When I first read the OP I thought the same thing Mrs Gungho commented on...you do not pay sales or use tax on a service. Upon further review, i think I understand the post now.

Top Bottom