• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Has anyone ever bought an "EXO" coated bolt carrier group for an AR15 rifle? The EXO coating is a Nichol Boron coating that is supposed to be very easy to clean, and self lubricating, or dry lubricating.

Anyone ever had this item?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yup. I have one. Also a hard chrome one. I fell for every marketing gimmick that is AR related in my younger days.

They are all a total waste of money. They do nothing.

Buy one if you like, those guys that make them, have to eat too.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    WMD's Nib-x and FZ's EXO nickel boron coatings are not "gimmicks", unless your expectations are unrealistic. Bottom line is they make your bolt easier to clean, and you can actually run it without lube for longer periods if you want. As far as if it's worth it or not, that's up to you.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Who is WMD?

WMD's Nib-x and FZ's EXO nickel boron coatings are not "gimmicks", unless your expectations are unrealistic. Bottom line is they make your bolt easier to clean, and you can actually run it without lube for longer periods if you want. As far as if it's worth it or not, that's up to you.

I have heard of the Fail Zero company, but not the WMD. What does that stand for tdoom15?

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Mvician

Say brother,

I read your post on that link, and you said in that post that you were going to go shoot some dirty wolf ammo. How did it work shooting that dirty wolf ammo? How was the functionality of the weapon with no lube? How was it to clean?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Save your money and buy a M16 BCG for around a $100 at the next gun show. I find the hevyer group functions better.

Buy a Colt or a PSA upper with an m16 bolt carrier. I'd definitely rather have the m16 type, than a chrome AR15 modified BCG. I just feel funny about my gun being neutered any further than it has to be...

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Say brother,

I read your post on that link, and you said in that post that you were going to go shoot some dirty wolf ammo. How did it work shooting that dirty wolf ammo? How was the functionality of the weapon with no lube? How was it to clean?

Shot the dirty Wolf ammo with a light coat of lube, cheap old 3-in-One oil.
    Clean up took only a wipe of a rag, and just a little extra effort on the bolt tail. The 3-in-One didn't last long and the whole thing was dry after 50 or so rounds, shot a total of about 300 that day.

Have since bought some Frog Lube and did their procedure on it after I degreased everything. It is slicker than snot now and everything just wipes off, and smells good too :):

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    It is a M16 carrier

P1150664.jpg

Specs from their website WMD Guns

Drop-In AR-15 BCGs to increase reliability and ease cleaning and maintenance.

· Bolt – Carpenter 158 case hardened, shot peened and magnetic particle inspected. Manufactured to Government drawings. Mil Spec gas rings. NiB-X coated (40% more wear resistant than Chrome).

· Extractor – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, per Government drawings. Black extractor buffer and heavy duty spring. NiB-X coated.

· Firing Pin – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, Chromed and certified per Government drawings.

· Carrier – M16 style carrier (heavy weight), 8620 material, heat treated and case hardened. Manufacturing tolerances on inside diameters tightly controlled. NiB-X coated for durability and ease of cleaning.

· Gas Key – Hardened to USGI Specifications and attached using grade 8 hardened fasteners. Permatex No. 3D Aviation Form a gasket Type III Sealing Compound per MIL-S-45180 used on assembly. NiB-X coated. Staked per military specifications.

· Cam pin – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened and certified per Government drawings. NiB-X Coated.

· Hammer - Manufactured, heat treated, hardened and certified per Government drawings. NiB-X Coated. Can be semi-auto or full-auto.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Thanks Mvician

Shot the dirty Wolf ammo with a light coat of lube, cheap old 3-in-One oil.
    Clean up took only a wipe of a rag, and just a little extra effort on the bolt tail. The 3-in-One didn't last long and the whole thing was dry after 50 or so rounds, shot a total of about 300 that day.

Have since bought some Frog Lube and did their procedure on it after I degreased everything. It is slicker than snot now and everything just wipes off, and smells good too :):

That is some great news. I might go for this thing and try it out. I just got some frog lube from the internet, so that ought to work good when I get the other. I got it to apply to my new EXO coated BCG that came with the Osprey Defense 416 gas piston conversion kits, but since the rifles didn't shoot I haven't used the frog lube yet. I will check that out when I get them back from the Osprey repair. Thanks Mvician!!!!

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    To add to what mvician said about the differences between the two companies, WMD was started by the same people who started by FZ. There is a slight difference between the coatings, from what the guys at WMD told me, their coating is oh so slightly slicker than their original EXO coating, but 3 points lower on the Rockwell scale (no significant difference between them). WMD's coating is also applied in a top of the line aerospace facility.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Tdoom15

Tdoom15,

Thanks for the input. I have already bought two Osprey Defense Gast Piston Conversion Kits, that came with the FZ EXO coated BCG's. But should I need another one in the near future, or should I get another AR15, I will check out WMD and give them a try first.

Carl.

Top Bottom