• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I gotta say that as much of a traditionalist as I am the Browning BLR is a tremendous lever gun. It uses a detachable magazine instead of a tube which has several advantages. First it can use ammo such as the .308 ( which is much cheaper than 30-30) and others that offer much better ballistics. Second you can load it very quickly, a nice point as in Indiana you cannot keep a loaded rifle in your vehicle but you can have loaded magazines. Third, a few extra mags gives you a nice all purpose repeater that is mush faster to reload. Fourth, the BLR has a short throw lever allowing for faster follow up shots.

My Browning copy of the Winchester 71 is my favorite lever gun of all time but if I were looking for a smaller caliber such as a .30 the BLR would get my nod.

You can keep a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I agree with a most of 451's points about the BLR and the 308 Win. cartridge, but am confused about the statement of 308 ammo being cheaper than 30-30. Unless perhaps comparing steel case Russian fmj or mil-surp to US commercial expanding bullet brass case rds.
    I like the traditional guns also but a stacked cartridge mag gun ( and all its advantages) would be a nice addition to the hunting arsenal. I've been mulling a BLR in 243 as a 'yote gun for a while.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have had a Winchester Trapper, an old Marlin 1893 in 38/40, a Marlin 336 and a Savage 99. I liked them all for different reasons, but was never IN LOVE until I got hold of a Browning 92. Best copy of a 92 out there and discontinued since 1987, but I waited for a good shooter and it was worth it. Feels like hot sex.....

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I had a police officer a number of years ago tell me I couldn't keep a loaded rifle in my vehicle. I had an unloaded AK in my back seat in its case when I got pulled over. He saw the case and asked me what was in it, so I told him. He asked me if it was loaded, I replied that it wasn't, and he said "good, you can't have a loaded rifle in your vehicle in the state of Indiana."

Maybe that's how he heard it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I know you can't hunt with it in Indiana (.45-70), but I really enjoy my Marlin 1895G Guide Gun.
    1895G-in-45-70.jpg

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm not a hunter, but I was referring to deer. So, what can you hunt with it? Bison? ;)

Wabbits! Those pesky wqbbits need a 45/70 to take'm down clean.
    :):

My 45/70 '95 Guide Gun is because it was available and I had the cash for it. Hope someday to use it on boar somewhere. (Maybe in IN, the way things are going...)

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Not really looking for one to use for hunting since I have no idea how to dress a deer. Shot my friends grandpa's, pretty sure it was a Winchester, but just really enjoyed shooting it. Maybe it reminded me of old school westerns with the loading method and the lever action but I really enjoyed shooting his :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm not a hunter, but I was referring to deer. So, what can you hunt with it? Bison?

Squirrels. Ensure that they are up in the trees because according to IDNR's Magic Bullet theory bullets fired up into the air turn into harmless pixie dust when they miss their targets, but rifle bullets fired down toward deer from tree stands are unstoppable juggernauts which seek out women and minorities.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not a hunter, but I was referring to deer. So, what can you hunt with it? Bison? ;)

You can hunt deer in Indiana with a .45/70. It just has to be in a pistol configuration.

A Thompson Contender in .45/70 is legal for deer in Indiana, as long as it has a pistol grip, and a barrel less than 16" long.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Where does it say the barrel has to be 16" or less?

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

(emphasis added)

Last edited:

longshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Fishers
    IMO, Henry's have the smoothest cycling lever actions around. I have one in .22LR, .22 Mag and a .45 LC. I also have a Winchester 1894 Timber Carbine in .444 Marlin for comparison.....unfortunately, there really isn't any comparison. Cycle a Winchester, then a Henry next time you get a chance. You'll see what I am talking about.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    I'd recommend you find a Win94 or a Marlin 1894 in 44mag. Maybe you're not into hunting now, but what is going to happen is you are going to fall in love with that rifle and years later you are going to wish you could kill something with it, and it's not likely Indiana will ever allow 30/30 for deer. Fun cartridge that the 30/30 is, the 44 is no less fun to shoot.
    Oh and the Marlin holds 10 rounds of fat 44. :)

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I would be interested in some of the downsides of these guns. I have thought the lever guns were always interesting and have toyed with picking one up if I find a great deal sometime. Are there any major points I should be aware of?

Top Bottom