• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have no doubt these are great rifles. I just wish the idiot that named them hadn't used a name already in use.

THIS IS A BAR
    post-9906-0-44722300-1425352603.jpg

The ones mentioned above should have been called the Browning Automatic Hunting Rifle or something.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have no doubt these are great rifles. I just wish the idiot that named them hadn't used a name already in use.

THIS IS A BAR

The ones mentioned above should have been called the Browning Automatic Hunting Rifle or something.

I agree, and I wish it was a "real" BAR. The BAR (like the one in your picture) always reminds me of the Steve McQueen movie, The Sand Pebbles. Some pretty cool scenes in the movie with a BAR.

Maybe they should have called the hunting version a BSAR for Browning Semi-Auto Rifle. :dunno:

All that said, I'll enjoy shooting mine! :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I did a little research on the Browning website over the weekend and called Browning this morning to confirm. My "new" BAR was manufactured in 1971. Considering the pristine condition of this rifle, I found that very impressive. The previous owner keep that rifle perfect all those years. I am assuming he purchased it new, but I don't know that for a fact.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

THIS IS A BAR

This is what I jumped on the thread to see as well. Thanks for the pic. OP your rifle is amazing too!!!! Awesom condition. Well worth the $1000. Might upgrade the scope. LOL

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This is what I jumped on the thread to see as well. Thanks for the pic. OP your rifle is amazing too!!!! Awesom condition. Well worth the $1000. Might upgrade the scope. LOL

Agreed. I will eventually upgrade the scope. Will check this one at the range, but seems like this rifle is deserving of better optics.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Indeed a great find, it's a beautiful rifle, I shot a BAR before, my cousin had one but he sold it to finance his home. It's fun gun to shoot but a bit heavy to carry.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Last night I took off the Bushnell scope that the rifle came with. I also removed the mounts, they were the kind designed to allow use of the iron sights, but they didn't seem to work very well for that.
    Here's a pick with the Talley bases mounted. I purchased medium height rings but they just barely do not clear the rear sight and I really don't want to chance removing the dovetail, its been in there for almost 45 years. I will post the final pics once my high height rings come in.

DSC00421_zpssdcbvmnp.jpg

DSC00422_zps8zvchtnh.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Breaks my heart to see such nice rifles with cheap scopes and or funky rings.
    Occasionally one comes by with a Leupold in Beuhler rings. Nice touch.

Personally, I detest Weaver std rings. Hives start popping up when I see upper end rigs with them on.

Good for you on making the old gal a hottie again.

Top Bottom