• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Ok I think I know the answer to this but I'm not quite sure...I have been considering an AR pistol for while. That's the easy part, cash+nics+receipt OTD no problem. If I wanted to convert to an SBR, I would need to pay $200 tax stamp, and fill out an SBR form??

I guess my confusion lies in the process. I know the request can take quite some time but if anyone has a link or what not to this process I would appreciate it. I'm just REALLY new to NFA and don't know a whole lot about that...I would purchase an SBR but again form my understanding I wouldn't be able to shoot the thing until the request cleared. Please fill me in! Thanks everyone!

GS.45

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can't have possession until the appropriate paperwork is completed, submitted, reviewed, approved, and then sent back.

Not just not shoot it... - Cannot POSSESS (legally).

-J-

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    You wouldn't be able to own the thing until you have the tax stamp in hand.
    Wrong you must own it (ie paid in full) before the paperwork is submitted. You can't possess it before the paperwork comes back. Of course if you are luckyenough to buy from a dealer with a range you could visit and even shoot the weapon prior to receiving your stamp.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Right for the SBR....but you can own the AR pistol, and stock (not attached) separately. But is that the same for the pistol....as in if I have intentions of turning it into an SBR I cant buy the pistol until I get the stamp?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can buy the pistol.

But like rkwhyte2 alluded to above - if you buy a factory SBR from a dealer - you pay the dealer and do your 4473. But you cant' take it with you. You "own it" since you paid for it - but the dealer keeps it until the paperwork comes back.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Buy a stripped lower make sure it is sold as other. Build it into a pistol. Enjoy and when the stamp shows up slap a stock on that bad boy.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Buy a stripped lower make sure it is sold as other. Build it into a pistol. Enjoy and when the stamp shows up slap a stock on that bad boy.

^^^^ok that is what I was getting at. I was trying to figure out how you see people do a "build" of an SBR without being able to possess it. Man, this just got a whole lot more complicated than I thought! Thanks for the info though everyone!

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    It's really not complicated just time consuming. Beware NFA is addicting it is very hard to have just one. :)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ^^^^ok that is what I was getting at. I was trying to figure out how you see people do a "build" of an SBR without being able to possess it. Man, this just got a whole lot more complicated than I thought! Thanks for the info though everyone!

It's not complicated. First, you don't need to screw around w/ building it as a pistol. OK, if you want to, but not necessary. If you are going to build an AR SBR off an existing lower, you just complete the paperwork (which includes the SN and make/model) and mail it off. Once approved, you build your SBR. You'll also need to engrave the SBR (name, city, state) in an approved location (typically the receiver).

If you already have the pistol, just do the paperwork, get the lower engraved, and when approved change receiver extensions and put on the stock (at which time it becomes an SBR).

btw, we have a whole sub forum, complete w FAQs that answer these basic questions.

-rvb

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom