• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    While reading through the NFA Timeline thread a lot of people state they "called in" and found out who is handling their forms and a guesstimation on when things will be pending/processed/etc. I looked around the FAQ but didn't see any info as to what number to call to find this out, so any info on that guys? My forms were sent in February, so I figured it's been enough time that I could check up on the status. I've also noticed people say don't call them more than once in a while or it will **** em off and put your forms at the bottom of the pile, haha.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    1-304-616-4500 You will need the serial number of the item. I will call after a month of sending it in. I will then call in another month.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I've also noticed people say don't call them more than once in a while or it will **** em off and put your forms at the bottom of the pile, haha.

You don't actually get to talk to the examiners, so I would't worry to much about that. I tend to call in after about 45 days to make sure the forms arrived and the check went thru ok, then just wait for the surprise to show up months later. More fun not knowing when its coming. Every day is like lottery day then.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    When my suppressor was processing, I chatted with the guy on the other end of the line for a couple of minutes and he sounded exasperated with answering the same question. He said that pretty much the only thing he does all day, every day, is to answer that specific question. While I don't think calling them will "**** them off", it won't hurry your Form up any, and by holding off unless you think there's a real problem, you can likely save at least one guy a tiny bit of pain.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    From what my Class 3 told me, they went to civilians processing everything in early 08 I believe. I called several times and the lady I spoke to was helpful and stated it was okay to call once each week to check status. I know several people who made mistakes on their form and send it back and received completed paperwork a week later but I wouldn't try it on purpose. They cash your check or money order, when it clears it gets forwarded and I assume sits on a desk for months till the evaluator has time to get to it. Just my opinion. I seriously wish they would offer a $400 stamp and guarantee approval in say 2 weeks. Id gladly pay it between spring and fall when I need it back sooner. I'd gladly wait from fall til spring lol. Supposedly in early 08 when they switched to civilians, the turn around time was 4 weeks.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    YOU SHOULD CALL!!!!!!

I have had customers make a minor mistake on forms and go into "problem" status, but ATF never called and told them they were in "problem status".

If you don't call and check after 60 days or so it could sit and sit and sit and sit......

That being said, don't call after 15 days and bug them!!!!!!!!

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Looking at other people's time lines in the sticky post, I think I'm due to get approval back soon, if nothing is wrong. I need my serial number, since I was stupid and didn't copy my forms before mailing them out, so I called ACME Sports, but they haven't gotten back to me with the info. I'll need to follow up with them first, unless I can just call and they can look me up another way.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I wish they ATF would set up an automated online service for exactly this. That way, impatient people could check a couple times a day. :)

Or a computerize frontend. Its all in a system already, seems the perfect thing to tie into a website. Make a username/password based on the serial/transfee name your good to go.

But then there would be too much accountability, and who wants that. Id love to know WHY it takes 4 months to approve a transfer, especially when I have a half dozen already...

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Totally agree, just some secure website with simple output of your information from the form and a status field, bam you're done.

I just called and the lady said my status is "Pending - Under Review" as of March 10th. Just a matter of time...

Top Bottom