• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    So, I am thinking about my next rifle. I know that I want it to be something in an AK format, (love my AK's.) But I'm not sure about caliber.

I would like to diversify a bit; I already have two in 7.62x39, but I would like to get something different, and I am balancing between two calibers; 5.45x39 and 5.56x45.

I am liking the 5.56 because of the larger availability of ammunition here in the states; with all sorts of .223's in the hands of civilians, LEO's, and military units, it's an easy round to come by. Plus I don't already have one, so thats a plus. :D

The 5.45 just appeals to me because its the "natural" caliber of the AK-74. Ultimately I'd like both...but which should I get first do you think?

Also, what model/brand would you recommend? I have a WASR and a Draco, (the chopped WASR from Century,) and I like those, but I know they are on the low-end of the scale.

EDIT: I voted "Other" so as not to throw off the poll.

I've been looking around, and it looks like most of the 5.45x39 rifles are Polish Tantals....I have owned two Polish weapons, (a P64 and a TT33,) and they've been awesome...anybody had experience with the Tantal to know if it has the same qualities?

Last edited:

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    Get a better quality AKM in 7.62x39 and stockpile that ammo. But if you're not going to do that, I would suggest 5.45x39. You can still find suplus 1080 rd tins for cheap and it's one of two rounds the AK was designed for. But if it were me I'd stick with 7.62.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    This is the one I want...........of course I can't afford it :(
    I won't own any AK type except this one.

fnc-para.jpg

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Go 5.45.

- Natural Caliber
    - Mag availability, price, and quality.
    - 2160 rnds for $260 bucks (trump card right there)

When going 5.45, you have to keep in mind that all the cheap surplus ammo is corrosive. For this reason, it is worth your money to spend on a quality rifle with chrome lining.

Look for an Arsenal. If you aren't ready to spend that kind of dough, then look at the Saiga conversion. Bradis had 5.45 saigas on sale for something like $370ish last week. How much you spend on the conversion is completely up to you. Just do it with quality parts (read - NOT crapco plastics), so we don't make fun of you.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    If you're wanting to stick the the AK platform then the 5.45x39 seems to be the natural choice. 5.45x39 is similar to 5.56x45 in performance, it is cheaper that 5.56x45, and a more natural match. I don't see the advantages of 5.56x45 in this situation unless you want something cool and different (of course, there is nothing wrong with that).

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    If your sticking with an AK definitely go 5.45. Mags are much easier to find and ammo is cheaper than 5.56, but a chrome lined barrel is a must.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted 5.45 since it is an AK pattern rifle. I love the AK too, but if I want 5.56 I go AR for that.

The 5.45 is a great round and fun to shoot. :smileak:

cassaireland05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Hillsboro IN
    If you are wanting more practal i would go with the 5.45x39. The ammo is cheaper and easier to find. I personally love the .308 and 30-06 calibers! But thats me. :D

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I just bought a 5.45 ak74 too, I got it from arms of america.com.... freaking sweet gun!!!!!!! Bulgy parts kit/EAST GERMAN NEW BARREL!!!!!!!!/and really well put together..... if not that one, get a waffen werks.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I just bought a 5.45 ak74 too, I got it from arms of america.com.... freaking sweet gun!!!!!!! Bulgy parts kit/EAST GERMAN NEW BARREL!!!!!!!!/and really well put together..... if not that one, get a waffen werks.

+1 on Waffen Werks

For just about $150 more from the price on the CAI guns you cant go wrong. 5.45 is the way to go in a AK pattern rifle. I know I love mine. I actually like it more than the Arsenal guns Ive tried.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    5.45x39 is an actual AK round (AK74), and 5.56x45 would be a bag on the side of an AK, just like trying to feed the highly tapered AK rounds with the deep magwell of an AR. Sure, you can sorta do it, but why? You'd need an AK that was purpose built for the longer rounds. If you really want an AK that fires 5.56x45, get a Galil if you can find one.

Top Bottom