• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What caliber would you go with? (already have 9mm so that is not an option).

• Total voters

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I'm starting to look around a little bit for my next purchase. I already have 2 9mm guns (sig p226 and a glock 19 for EDC). Im looking for my next firearm, and I don't know if I should go with a .40 or .45 acp. I really like my glock and my sig. So my question is this

1.) What caliber would you go with

2.) What firearm in that caliber

Please give specific reasons why. Thanks a lot for the help INGO.

This firearm would not be for EDC, but could be used for home defense. I don't need it to be compact.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    This will surely be runaway vote. I didn't know other calibers existed. Que speaks with wisdom. Mackey what is this other than 1911 you speak of?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Another vote for a 1911. I just like holding a sense of history. After the first 100 years it is still going strong.

The longer I have mine the more I like it. If you can, try one out before you buy. I am sure you will enjoy it. It is the measuring stick that all other pistols are compared to.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just curious, why does it have to be a different caliber?

Why not pick up another Glock 19, or a 17?

I guess I don't necessarily see the reason to have a ton of very different guns. Having several guns is good, I just see the benefit in having similar weapons/same platform for sharing mags, ammo, holsters, and for ease of training/operation.

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie

I guess I don't necessarily see the reason to have a ton of very different guns. Having several guns is good, I just see the benefit in having similar weapons/same platform for sharing mags, ammo, holsters, and for ease of training/operation.

I just want a little variety.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I feel just the opposite, I want a handgun in every caliber made. why limit yourself to only one? I have an XDs, .45. I would really like to get a colt 1911. maybe someday. until then, I will be quite happy with my XDs. oh, im happy with my sig. 9mm also. and the wifes bersa .380. also my FIL S&W .357. just my 2 cents though.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I agree everybody should own at least 1 1911. Im a HUGE glock person but I bought a remington R1, though I think it is going to be replaced with a kimber soon...

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I just want a little variety.

Just make sure you never tell your lady that! :lmfao:

Well, IF you go with a 1911, isn't there only one 'real' 1911? Colt. :D

I like shooting 1911's and their various clones, but not sure if I'll ever actually own one. I like my P-45. 1+ 14 / 15 (depending on *CLIP* used) :p :p

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN

Bingo! I just bought a G21sf yesterday for home defense to go along with my G30s for EDC. The G17 is the SHTF gun and I am looking for a beat to death G17, 19, or 26 to round out the party. Mags and platform were my thoughts too. :twocents:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If I went with a 1911, what brand would you recommend?

That's another discussion entirely. Besides, I'm sure you wouldn't want to ruin your thread with a bunch of guys arguing over what's the best 1911. But, since you asked I will say that you get what you pay for. That's not to say a $500 1911 isn't a good gun, but it's certainly not as good as a Ed Brown or even a Springfield TRP. Just go to the LGS and look around. I'm certain you will find something that grabs you.

Top Bottom