• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    This is/was my first build. Just finished it today, and have yet to shoot it.
    IMG_4518.jpg

My wife liked it, but complained of it being heavy. Then asked if it will be shot from a standing position. As she struggled to look through the optics standing. I laughed and said yes, and that we'll have to build her a light weight AR.

So in order to make a lightweight where would one save weight at? 14.5" barrel with permanent hider, MOE handguards, no sights, or no optics?

Thanks,
    R

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Your not saving enough weight to make a differance by doing 14.5, only making it much harder to do any modifications to it in the future.

find a cav arms reciever if you can that would help.

Otherwise just get a 16 inch light profile, apex FF tube, ace skeleton stock, and dont hand a bunch of stuff off of it.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I set up a dedicated 22lr AR with a Cavarms lower. It has a CMMG upper. My 10 yr old son can hold it to shoot it standing. It is light weight and feels great.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    What upper setup is on the rifle in the picture?

It's a spikes tactical with a Midwest industries hand guard and DPMS barrel.

In the meantime. Is there a sling setup that we can look into that would help transfer the weight to get shoulders so she could shoot standing or on a course?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It's a spikes tactical with a Midwest industries hand guard and DPMS barrel.

In the meantime. Is there a sling setup that we can look into that would help transfer the weight to get shoulders so she could shoot standing or on a course?

attend an appleseed and you will learn about slings AND how to use them. She wont be complaining about weight anymore since she will know what to do.

Top Bottom