• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Interesting take, despite a liberal/hostile slant the message is good for those of us who value freedom and gun rights.
    Posted Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:51 AM
    New SCOTUS Term: Watch for Loosening of Gun Regulations
    Howard Fineman

The Gaggle : New SCOTUS Term: Watch for Loosening of Gun Regulations

When John G. Roberts Jr. testified at his confirmation hearings, he promised to be an umpire at the baseball game of constitutional law, cautiously calling balls and strikes with his eyes firmly fixed on a well-understood and relatively static strike zone. Well, as chief justice, he's turning out to be more like the owner of a baseball team, or even the commissioner, eager to rewrite the rule book if not build a whole new ballpark. His activism is a boon to conservatives─but not necessarily good news for Republicans.

The latest example of the Roberts Court's activist ambitions is its quick acceptance, for decision next year, of a gun-rights appeal from Chicago. Last year the court ruled 5-4 that the right to bear arms flows to and from individuals, even though it is mentioned in the Constitution in the context of a "well-regulated militia." Reading the Constitution in that way, the court struck down a handgun ban in the District of Columbia. But there was some doubt about whether the court's reasoning would apply in a state, as opposed to the federal District of Columbia, and how the enunciation of a new fundamental individual right should be applied. Now the court will take up the appeal of a case of a handgun ban in Chicago to clear things up.

Expect another sweeping smackdown. First, the court has already laid down a new principle─which, believe it or not, had never been directly addressed. Second, if my sense of the Roberts Court is correct, they are going to seek the most sweeping rulings they can manage to get on what they regard as their key Bill of Rights issues─gun rights, freedom of the marketplace from federal regulation, corporate rights to free speech, and official public religious expression, to name four─before the arrival of a moment they dread: when President Barack Obama get's the chance to nominate an ideological tide-changing justice.

Until that moment, if it ever comes, it's going to be pedal to the metal.

A lawyer I know who knows the Supreme Court and its habits as well as anyone in Washington (but who can't speak on the record because he practices before the court) agrees. He is a cautious man, not given to wild pronouncements. But he sees Roberts and his three activist conservative colleagues─Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito─as being increasingly bold and assertive as they try, and generally succeed, to drag the more moderate (or some would say confused) Justice Anthony Kennedy along with them. This lawyer sees these men─especially the Core Four─as eager to carry out a sweeping campaign to lay down or rewrite as many fundamental holdings as they can get their hands on.

What that means in the case of guns is a full-scale legal assault on and sweeping away of many if not most existing regulations on their sale and possession of handguns, pistols, and rifles, at least initially. If the court decrees the use of the standard method of assessing limits on fundamental rights, it will require states and localities to show a "compelling state interest" for the regulation they seek, and a narrowly carefully tailored statute to address it. It's what the lawyers call "strict scrutiny"─and it will kill off laws by the score, at least at first.

But Republicans should beware of what they have wished for here. It is true that there has been a marked, even dramatic, decline in public support for tougher gun-control measures. For example, the Gallup poll in 1959 found that 60 percent of Americans supported a ban on the private possession of handguns. A half century later that number has been cut in half, to 30 percent. In 1991, 78 percent of Americans said that they wanted "more strict" regulation of guns; today less than 50 percent do.

And yet, if you ask Americans whether they want easier and less-strict guns laws, the answer over the years is consistent: less than 10 percent of voters say yes. That has been true since at least 1990, and probably for decades before that.

If the court acts as I think it will, by next year (if not before) states and local governments will find themselves overrun by gun-rights activists, and we'll have laws across the country like the one in Arizona, which now allows owners of guns not only to carry and conceal them in public but carry and conceal them in any bar that doesn't have a sign telling therm they can't enter if they're packing. I could be wrong (I often am), and I know that 43 percent of Americans have guns in their homes. Having a gun in your home (or a rifle for hunting) is one thing. Carrying a gun into a bar is quite another─and I can't imagine that politicians who allow it are going to be popular with the American voter.

Even Democrats like cowboys, but even Republicans (or at least independents) don't want to bring back the Wild West.​

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    a "well-regulated militia"

It is amazing to me that "...the people..." in every other right granted by the Constitution stands alone. It is only in the Second Amendment that an attempt is made to qualify "...the people..." with some modifier.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    It is amazing to me that "...the people..." in every other right granted by the Constitution stands alone. It is only in the Second Amendment that an attempt is made to qualify "...the people..." with some modifier.
    But everyone knows that 'arms' are far too dangerous for 'the people' to have... so obviously it has to have an entirely different meaning than 'the people' does in the other 9... :rolleyes:

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I stopped reading Newsweek and Time many years ago.
    Still don't regret that one.

If I want hysterical dishonesty and opinion masquerading as 'fact', I'll read cnn.com or foxnews.com.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I stopped reading Newsweek and Time many years ago.
    Still don't regret that one.

If I want hysterical dishonesty and opinion masquerading as 'fact', I'll read cnn.com or foxnews.com.

Word.

I read this article and I am floored by it. The SCOTUS is not judging as to whether or not Concealed Carry is okay. Just to own a handgun in your home! These people freak over everything. I would prefer to CC in Chicago, but I also think that it is reasonable for the municipality to regulate that even if I don't agree with it.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Even Democrats like cowboys, but even Republicans (or at least independents) don't want to bring back the Wild West.
    Where do these people come from? Seriously.

I'd RATHER have the Wild West. At least you'd get respect walking down the street.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    What that means in the case of guns is a full-scale legal assault on and sweeping away of many if not most existing regulations on their sale and possession of handguns, pistols, and rifles, at least initially.

This is just factually incorrect. Scalia's opinion in Heller specifically says that the ruling does not overturn long standing regulations like restricting sales to minors or felons, restricting machine guns, etc. The only thing Heller really overturns is sweeping DC or Chicago style bans.

we'll have laws across the country like the one in Arizona

OK, let's get this straight: Fineman thinks that gun violence in Arizona is out of control? Compared to Chicago? What planet is this guy from?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Where do these people come from? Seriously.

I'd RATHER have the Wild West. At least you'd get respect walking down the street.
    i just watched 3:10 to yuma the other day. during the whole course of the movie i kept thinking, "man, i wish i lived in the wild west".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    i just watched 3:10 to yuma the other day. during the whole course of the movie i kept thinking, "man, i wish i lived in the wild west".

Oh, no, you don't and I'll give you a one word reason why=>dentistry!:D

Amazing how out of touch the CLAMs are. All they can see is the news of the day. They act as if the Arizona law is something new in the country.

What planet is this guy from?

That would be Planet Georgetown or Planet Manhattan.

These people do not know an automatic rifle from an automatic first down. These people have never touched a firearm, have never used their hands unless to write checks or use a keyboard or phone.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Those 'Wild West' ideas really make me chuckle. People need to read more history.

The 'Wild West' wasn't very wild; there were statistically fewer per capita murders/rapes/robberies in frontier towns than the rates we live with today.

When everyone (or almost everyone) is armed, people are less likely to risk major criminal behavior.

The 'Wild West' was wild for a lot of reasons, but routine gunfights in the streets and barroom shootouts were not one of them.
    The mainstream media watches too much Bonanza.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Those 'Wild West' ideas really make me chuckle. People need to read more history.

The 'Wild West' wasn't very wild; there were statistically fewer per capita murders/rapes/robberies in frontier towns than the rates we live with today.

When everyone (or almost everyone) is armed, people are less likely to risk major criminal behavior.

The 'Wild West' was wild for a lot of reasons, but routine gunfights in the streets and barroom shootouts were not one of them.

If you can find any articles about this or statistics please post them. I think that would be really interesting to compare to today's numbers.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ram, if you are interested, I recommend Prof. McGrath's Gunfighters, Highwaymen and Vigilantes.

Gunfighters, Highwaymen, and Vigilantes : Roger D. McGrath=>

1838.160.jpg

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Here's an interesting paper that was posted on the Guncite website about the subject of 'Wild West Mythology':

Violence and Lawlessness on the Western Frontier

It's a bit long, but it was very informative to read.
    Excerpt from the conclusion:
    There simply is no justification for blaming contemporary American violence and lawlessness on a frontier heritage. The time is long past for Americans to stop excusing the violence in society by trotting out that old whipping boy, the frontier. On the contrary, it would seem that the frontier, instead of representing America at its worst may have, in many respects, represented the nation at its best.

Guncite.com is an AWESOME website if you want pro-2A facts to back up your arguments.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya

but w/o a csi unit, they would never be able to find my hairs/bodily fluids all over crime scenes.

Top Bottom