News report on how dogs react during a burglary.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For me, a dog is a great early warning system. Someone breaks in when I'm asleep, I want that extra 10 seconds to clear the fog, figure out what's going on and get prepared. If I'm not home, I'd hope the barking would scare any potential uninvited guest away. My Golden has a habit of barking at anyone and everyone that walks by the front windows or knocks on the door.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Real Rottweilers would be my first choice, not the watered down version, they don't buddy up with any strangers, bite is more powerful than most pits, German shepherds of the right bloodlines would be second, for a small dog blue heelers put up a hell of a fight.

We have a 2 1/2 year old intact male GSD from those blood lines. If the wife and I reach for each other he will grab the offending appendage with his mouth and/or body check us. He is basically on armed standby 24/7. He has a certain bark that will speak to an interloper's genetic memory.

The old English Shepherd just barks at a pitch and volume reminiscent of a hot poker in your ears.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Real Rottweilers would be my first choice, not the watered down version, they don't buddy up with any strangers, bite is more powerful than most pits, German shepherds of the right bloodlines would be second, for a small dog blue heelers put up a hell of a fight.

I think my female red heeler would take down a bad guy before my pit would.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    We have a rather large pack here. Each of my dogs lets me know anytime they hear something out of the ordinary. My GSD's are rather intimidating though. Bottom line, you don't need to worry about any harm from my dogs. On the other hand, my wife doesn't really like strangers in the house.....

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    Dizzy, my chocolate lab, would bring the intruder a toy, give him the safe combo and help him carry my stuff out. We trained him to see humans as the alfa.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    1622232_1149839101701460_421578576968744501_n_zpshmejooj8.jpg

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    When I was younger (30 years ago) we had a Roty that had been to a really intensive school. It was the best trained dog I have ever seen. It was huge even by Roty standards. You didn't have to have a leash to walk him, he would stay right by your left leg and bump into you every so many steps. Other dogs could run at him in yards and he would totally ignore them. Everyone of my friends was terrified of him at first. All that being said he was the goofiest mess of a dog I have ever seen. Just playing with him for 5 minutes you would literally have to shower because of the slobber. I think the bad guys would just leave because they were coated in dog drool. I do think he would have protected one of his pack members with his life though, but there was never a situation for that to be tested.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    We have a Sheltie that goes berserk when anyone goes near a window or either of the two less used doors in our home, even if it is me or the wife. She will bark a lot if we're home and anyone comes to any door. She's only 25 lbs., so not sure she would do any damage, but the noise would sure wake us up quick. Had a collie before that, indoor dog, that would lick an intruder to death!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    There's a 911 call on Youtube, made by a woman who was home alone with an intruder trying to break in. In the background during the call, you can hear several big dogs really barking and one of them with a very mean, intimidating bark.

After she reported the man trying to break in, and told the operator that she had a cast on her entire leg and couldn't walk well, the 911 operator said "at least it sounds like your dogs are there to protect you. The woman said "We've got three in the house and #(I forget how many) outside.

Long story short, none of the outside dogs kept the man from getting inside and none of the inside dogs kept the man from assaulting the woman. The man was apprehended inside her house by the police. From the sound of the barking, you would have thought one of those dogs would have gotten physical with the guy.

Top Bottom