• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I can't believe that I got this gun for a steal. A year or two ago any Detonics model in 38 Super would command a price of NO LESS THAN $1100 to $1200 and could easily fetch more. I picked this up today on Gunbroker for hundreds LESS than those prices. It must be the economy? Even with shipping and transfer costs I'll be at only $900 in this gun.

There are probably no more than 300 to 350 CombatMasters chambered in 38 Super spread across all the various models. That makes this one rare gun indeed. I have several other 38 Super chambered CombatMasters in my Detonics collection, including a twin to this one, but I could not pass the gun up at this price.

pix074175065.jpg

pix665207971.jpg

pix987192504.jpg

pix698600412.jpg

pix630573829.jpg

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Melensdad, I knew it would be you :D. I saw "Detonics CombatMaster" in the title and knew right away that you had gotten something new. That is a very clean looking 1911. Do you collect other models/makers/types of firearms, or are you strictly a Detonics man? You must have a ton of them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've got a bunch of CZ75s in various configurations, some engraved limited editions, etc. But generally I'm a Detonics guy. Its rumored that my Detonics collection is one of the largest in the world. I don't claim that, but I've been told that.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    Very nice buy! I had never heard of these guns until I joined this site, and each one that Melensdad posts makes me want one pretty bad! Detonics made/makes a beautiful handgun.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Beautiful. I've been keeping an eye on gunbroker for a CM .45. Dont mean to go off topic, melensdad, but do you have one of the new 9-11 models?

The 9-11 model is not the compact CombatMaster, while I collect CombatMasters from Detonics, I do have some of the other Detonics models as well. But I don't know if I have a 9-11 model. I THINK the 9-11 is a larger framed gun with a standard 5" barrel. Maybe its got the 4.25" barrel? Not really sure about those. They were made by the Georgia factory and while the Georgia factory made some of the very best of the Detonics pistols, my real collecting revolves around the variations of the CombatMaster model.

What I can tell you is that of the 3 main factories producing Detonics over the decades (Washington, Arizona & Georgia) the guns from Georgia had the best/most advanced metallurgy and were built by many of the same expert/craftsman pistol smiths that built the original Washington era guns. I'd trust my life to a Georgia built gun in a heartbeat. Not sure I'd say the same about an Arizona built gun.

I know Peter Dunn (one of the original smiths) was one of the main innovators in Georgia, I also know that Sid Woodcock (the genius behind the CombatMaster) was involved in innovations at the Georgia factory too. Without Sid's innovations and Peter's skills, I don't think ANY brand of compact 1911 would be reliable today. Realize that EVERY brand of 1911 today that builds a compact 1911 is using Detonics designs/patents. Many of the custom full size target pistols today are also relying on 30+ year old designs developed by Detonics for the CombatMaster.

Sorry I can't be more helpful about the specific model. But if its a Detonics Pendergrass, Georgia built gun then I'd trust it because I've actually had the pleasure of conversing with Peter on many occasions and I'd trust anything out of his shop.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    That is an Illinois built gun on a Georgia frame. At least mine is built on a Georgia frame. They may have shifted over to Illinois frames by now???

I have a CombatMaster that is one of those. I refer to it as a "Frankengun" because of the origins of the parts.

I've had the pleasure of having dozens of phone conversations with the new owners of Detonics and have to say they build some excellent guns. Their guns are made to very very tight tolerances. Mine won't reliably shoot Blazer ALUMINUM ammo. Other than that mine has been excellent; but in all fairness, the factory recommends that ALUMINUM cased ammo NOT be fired because they bore a tight target chamber rather than a loose mil-spec chamber. The fit/finish of them is awesome. The frame is Ceracoated with a baked on ceramic finish. The slide is black and probably Duracoat or similar finish.

As the Ceracoat is a thick baked on finish it will show some wear on the rails and you can expect a break in period of a couple hundred rounds while the finish on the rails changes/wears down. Ceracoat is an extremely hard and durable surface so having it on the frame is a bonus, but it will require a break in period while it wears along the bearing surfaces of the rails.

I'm extremely happy with my Illinois built guns.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I just may have to get one of these. Im a sucker for the full size, less recoil and quicker return to target, but I also never fired a combat master. Just a couple officer models, I believe Colts. Hmmm some serious thinking to do, just wish I could fire one. Thanks for the info, and enjoy your new toy!

Top Bottom