• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    My little brother shot a raccoon I had trapped this summer, and the first .22 between the eyes just pissed it off. Scared lil' bro half to death, and sent him sprinting to grab another .22 to stick in the single-shot bolt-action to finish the job.

It took 3 shots.

It is kind of amazing how they are still somewhat aware after a shot between the eyes. After the first shot they typically hide their head under their body and twitch and shake allot. It make the 2 nd shot tough.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have some horses, use to raise and sell. At that time they would make 15-20 bales a year unusable for the horses. With hay hitting $6 a bale right now that's a good piece of change. So I shoot a lot of Opossum and raccoon over the year. The best way to kill them is back of the head where the spine and head meet. One shot and they are done. Another is a side shoot just even with bottom of the ear, not the tip of the ear. Shooting them between the eyes on a downward angle will not hit the bran. It goes downward maybe hitting the heart or lungs. In my younger days 2 friends and I ended up killing over 1000 for the year as we trapped and hunted them for the skins. See if you can find a cross section of a raccoon on the internet so you can see just how your bullet travels and what it will hit.

Know the animal you are hunting for good shot placement!!!

.45-70 works great on them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What are your suggestions for a beginner? I would like a .22 (Ruger maybe) and a higher cal. The .22 mostly because of the cheap ammo and for my wife to shoot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

OP I would highly recommend both you and your wife attending an NRA basic pistol, introductory handgun class with the local PD, or any other basic handgun course with a reputable instructor. You will be able to shoot some different guns and be much better equiped to ask questions and pick out the handgun that is best for you. I am honestly coming to the realization that spending a little bit on the class will actually save you money in the long run.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Welcome to INGO!
    And from what I have read .45-70 with the right loading does pretty well on almost everything in Africa too.

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    OP I would highly recommend both you and your wife attending an NRA basic pistol, introductory handgun class with the local PD, or any other basic handgun course with a reputable instructor. You will be able to shoot some different guns and be much better equiped to ask questions and pick out the handgun that is best for you. I am honestly coming to the realization that spending a little bit on the class will actually save you money in the long run.

That's good advice. I'm a little disappointed to say that I have yet to get a hand gun. Crazy busy at work.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    welcome and remember the only stupid question is the one not asked

I beg to differ, I've heard some really stupid questions in my life. Like where I work we have a will-call desk for people to pick things up. There is a big sign on the door that says "Will Call", yet we get people constantly walking in the door and asking "Is this will call?"

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I have some horses, use to raise and sell. At that time they would make 15-20 bales a year unusable for the horses. With hay hitting $6 a bale right now that's a good piece of change. So I shoot a lot of Opossum and raccoon over the year. The best way to kill them is back of the head where the spine and head meet. One shot and they are done. Another is a side shoot just even with bottom of the ear, not the tip of the ear. Shooting them between the eyes on a downward angle will not hit the bran. It goes downward maybe hitting the heart or lungs. In my younger days 2 friends and I ended up killing over 1000 for the year as we trapped and hunted them for the skins. See if you can find a cross section of a raccoon on the internet so you can see just how your bullet travels and what it will hit.

Know the animal you are hunting for good shot placement!!!

.45-70 works great on them.

my wife won't let me cook and eat the nuisance coons I shoot. I keep showing her more and more recipes but she won't budge. :)

Top Bottom