• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cj317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I am new to this forum and fairly new to guns. Great forum with lots of good information for someone new to guns.
    I acquired a couple of hand guns in the past on trades but I have never owned a shotgun. I am looking to purchase something mainly as a show piece and for home defense but I would also like to get more involved in shooting as a hobby.
    What would you recommend as a high end shotgun that can be purchased for around a grand? I want high quality, something that will always be well respected and I can pass on to grand kids 40 years from now.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    So you want something that you can hand over the mantle, but bust down doors with, but also something to break clays with?

Well, I would say there are no semi-autos or pumps that I would consider 'show pieces' for under a grand, and there are no sporting O/U's that I would use for home defense.

My advice?

Get a $200 Mossberg 500 for home defense and then spend your money on a sporting/show piece.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would personaly look at a Mosberg 500. They can be had for cheaper then the 870's normaly, and are just as good. The safety in my opinion, is in a better position on the 500. Mine came with a 28" ported barrel for shooting clays, hunting, etc. I then bought a 18.5" barrel $79.99 for hd.

cj317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks for the replies so far. In all reality I would probably never break any doors down with the gun. The home defense is more of a piece of mind thing for my wife. So pretty much ignore the home defense that I mentioned previously. Just a high end shot gun that I can take shooting a few times a year, but keep stored under the bed. I like the looks of stainless steel with a wood handle. I also prefer to buy a gun built in the USA.

Last edited:

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    if you are looking for a fun shotgun that i also a black rifle, a converted Saiga 12 would fit the bill. they are well respected by three gun compeditors, and the black rifle crowd, not so much by the double barrel crowd.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Used trap model of a Remingto 870 or Winchester model 12 will give you looks, blow a 12 gauge hole in something and last to hand down to your kids.

If you look real hard, you can find field grade models with above average wood. These were often sold to prefered customers in the 60's and 70's. My first 870 was one like that. It looked kind of like a Trap grade but was field. On the rack most shootes assumed it was Trap. My boss ordered it for me so they assumed it was for him and put nice wood on it.

You can find a beater and restore it too. Just depends on what you feel is beautiful enough for your tastes. Old doubles serve well in that role too. You are buying low end but again it is all about how you define beautiful enough. Look at Hunter Arms models for an example.

Winchester Model 12 "Y" Trap, 12 gauge : Pump at GunBroker.com

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    For the $1,000 budget, I would reccomend a Beretta 391 autoloader, but it's not MIA. The new Winny autoloaders are surprisingly well built, but it's hard to go wrong with an 1100/1187.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    This guy, or something similar, seems right up your alley.

Ruger OU Red Label 12 Ga Shotgun Original Mod. NR : Over Under at GunBroker.com

Since you didn't specify a double-gun, i also think the 1100/1187 would be a great choice. A friend just bought one and it is a sweet shooter. Softer recoil and a smooth/slick action. You can just shop around untill you find one you really like. They've made millions of them.

Also, I don't know which shotguns are made in America. Having an American brand name really doesn't tell you anything. Most semi-autos and pumps are still made around here, but the double-guns are mostly emported.

cj317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    That Ruger Red Label is a beautiful gun. I would like more suggestions similar to this one. Thanks again.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Remington Competition STS fits your description nicely.

Then still think about a Remington 870, Winchester Defender, or Mossberg 500. I would get them setup to shoot multiple ways in case you decide you wanted to shoot clays. I wouldn't hand a Competition STS to just anyone.

Hank

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    Look at the L.C. Smiths put out by Marlin. I use a CZ Durango for home and show, single trigger, choke tubes, very swingable inside. color case and machined engraved.
    I know it is made in czech,but it looks nice next to the tv when I'm watch'in TOMBSTONE. And I use it to shoot sport clays.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I purchased a Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum a few years ago. It is still may favorite Sunday go to meeting/shotgun wedding piece. I haqve collected barrels for it and ever so slightly modded it over the years and have a barrel for it for every occasion. I purchased a Vang comp Barrel for it when it is in home defense mode which is th emajoruty of the time. It patterns unbelievably tight and has a high polish blue finish to match the rest of the gun. Those who have shot it will attest it is almost art.
    All in all if I had to give them all up it would be among the last to go. I will undoubtedly pass it on to my son someday and I am sure it will be appreciated.
    I will try to get some pics of the set up and post them,.
    A 870 Wingmaster magnum is a bit of money but in my opinion its about as good as it gets, polished blue steel and fine walnut are hard to beat. An action a smooth as silk...... ahhh..... I may have to get it out and fondle it this afternoon. :D

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Remington Competition STS fits your description nicely.

Then still think about a Remington 870, Winchester Defender, or Mossberg 500. I would get them setup to shoot multiple ways in case you decide you wanted to shoot clays. I wouldn't hand a Competition STS to just anyone.

Hank

okay, price investigation. I found them new for $1149.... Remington claims them to be MSRP $2500+

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That Ruger Red Label is a beautiful gun. I would like more suggestions similar to this one. Thanks again.

Go for it! I have a Red Label that my wife purchased for me for Christmas two years ago. They have a classic American styling and to the best of my knowledge are made in the USA. Many gun snobs will discount these as being inferior to Brownings or Berrettas, but they are all great shooters. The main thing to consider when purchasing a shotgun is fit. Go to gun shops and shows and shoulder several guns. As an example, I took my Red Label to a gunsmith and had the stock cut for me and had a limb saver recoil pad installed. If you live close to Seymour I would be happy to let you shoot my Red Label.

As far as shotguns that will hold value, I would have to say Brownings and Berrettas. Both brands sell semi autos and over/unders. The O/Us will cost more then $1000. The semi autos such as the Browning Gold and Berretta Urika with wood furniture can be had for less. My father in law purchased a Browning Gold Superlight last year and intends on giving it to my son. IT IS SWEET!

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am new to this forum and fairly new to guns. Great forum with lots of good information for someone new to guns.
    I acquired a couple of hand guns in the past on trades but I have never owned a shotgun. I am looking to purchase something mainly as a show piece and for home defense but I would also like to get more involved in shooting as a hobby.
    What would you recommend as a high end shotgun that can be purchased for around a grand? I want high quality, something that will always be well respected and I can pass on to grand kids 40 years from now.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.
    i say browning o/u remington 1187 premier.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would recommend a Remington 1100. You could probably find a gently used competition grade trap gun for around a grand. It would look good over the fireplace and shoot just as well as guns costing several times the price when you do take it to the range.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If in Indy call the indiana gun club. They are the areas premiere clays shooting club and they have about 500 shotguns for sale there all the time from 130 dollars to 13,000 dollars.

They also have many types of range guns to try out and most used guns can be shot on sight before purchase something almost unheard of at any normal gun store.

On 103 street out south of fisher at giest lake.

Top Bottom