• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    First off, just getting back into guns after moving to the "south" from North Dakota. There's a lot I need to catch up on. Anyway, just got an SKS and getting a new stock to make it look more modern and militaryish. I'm looking at the Tapco T6.

I want to maintain the functionality of the bayonet and I've seen one with the optional foregrip that seems to take the bayonet out of the equation. To me,the foregrip is mainly for comfort.

Looks like there is basically the same thing that has a cutout for the bayonet.

My questions are:
    1 how can I tell if my SKS is Russian, Albanian, etc. I know it's not Chinese.
    2 what are your thoughts on the T6 stock?
    3 Can I still use the banaana/duckbill mag?

Please help!

Thanks!

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    1. I have no idea about that
    2. I have a T6 on one of my junker SKS's and its an awesome stock for what you pay. If you want to keep the bayonet then you cant have a grip. You get one or the other.
    3. You can use your original box mag or aftermarket mags

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    To find out who made your SKS you really need to look at the serial number and prefix and check some of the SKS online websites.

The later Yugo SKS's are differentiated by the squared off two position gas block that allows it to launch grenades.

The T-6 is a great upgrade for the SKS. Just remember that to remain 922r compliant, you need to win the 10 or less game, meaning you'll have to change a few other parts out for US made parts as well.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    To find out who made your SKS you really need to look at the serial number and prefix and check some of the SKS online websites.

The later Yugo SKS's are differentiated by the squared off two position gas block that allows it to launch grenades.

The T-6 is a great upgrade for the SKS. Just remember that to remain 922r compliant, you need to win the 10 or less game, meaning you'll have to change a few other parts out for US made parts as well.

Thanks jblomberg16. I hade been told this stock was 7 US made parts but looks like its only 3. I guess I'll have to do a few other things.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    First off, just getting back into guns after moving to the "south" from North Dakota. There's a lot I need to catch up on. Anyway, just got an SKS and getting a new stock to make it look more modern and militaryish. I'm looking at the Tapco T6.

I want to maintain the functionality of the bayonet and I've seen one with the optional foregrip that seems to take the bayonet out of the equation. To me,the foregrip is mainly for comfort.

Looks like there is basically the same thing that has a cutout for the bayonet.

My questions are:
    1 how can I tell if my SKS is Russian, Albanian, etc. I know it's not Chinese.
    2 what are your thoughts on the T6 stock?
    3 Can I still use the banaana/duckbill mag?

Please help!

Thanks!

Those 30-round duckbill mags are turds. Stick with the stock 10-round box magazine or get the fixed 20-rounder. I had nothing but trouble with my 30 round magazines.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Same here. My family has only had one 30 rounder that worked well at all. Its the only one we keep. We have a few Tapco 20's and they run perfectly. I would pick some of them up and keep those

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh, great, I just got a 30 for mine and was thinking about hooking it up today. Just as a fixed; don't figure on removing during normal operation. Reckon I'll try it out and see if it works, or if it can be tweaked into something worthwhile.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Thanks everyone. I've been hearing from a lot of people to steer clear of the 30 round mags. I think I'll order that stock tomorrow.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I Had a sks in the t6 stock and I loved it. As for the mags I'd bet my life on the taoco 20 poly mags I never had a problem with mine. As for Iding it sks surplus.com has a great deal of info on it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That looks awesome! Is the stock difficult to put on? Also, is the bayonet still functional without the bi-pod?

Super easy to put on, just goes on like the factory stock comes off. The upper handguard can be a bit of a pain since the ferrules are sometimes held on by taper pins that are hard to remove.

Most likely the bayo and bipod are mutually exclusive. As far as a bipod goes, give it some serious thought for why you want it. Given the capability of the SKS (probably a 2MOA rifle on its best day)...a good sling, such as a USGI style may give you just as much support and not add additional weight to the rifle.

Top Bottom