• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rpcblast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    ok, first, love the forums, this is only my second posting =)

I only recently even began to get into firearms, and considerd carrying. I just got my LTCH, and had my 1911 for about a month(Taurus 1911 AR blued). I carry it most places I go other than work(which may or may not change), and currently carry in condition 3(once I get more comfortable I will be carrying in cond 1). I have put about 50 rounds through it(I was paranoid about taking it to the range w/o my permit so yeah)

My first question is this: when racking the slide, should I be careful not to engage the grip safety while doing so? or is it ok to just hold it, finger off the trigger, and pull the slide back and let it fly?

Also, I recently purchased a Crossbread supertuck, and it fits fairly well, but prints a decent amount, even with Big shirts. Now, I am not exactly a small man(5 11 250), but I was just wondering if theres a way to wear it where that doesnt happen(I have tried anywhere between 2 and 5 oclock)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    ok, first, love the forums, this is only my second posting =)

I only recently even began to get into firearms, and considerd carrying. I just got my LTCH, and had my 1911 for about a month(Taurus 1911 AR blued). I carry it most places I go other than work(which may or may not change), and currently carry in condition 3(once I get more comfortable I will be carrying in cond 1). I have put about 50 rounds through it(I was paranoid about taking it to the range w/o my permit so yeah)

My first question is this: when racking the slide, should I be careful not to engage the grip safety while doing so? or is it ok to just hold it, finger off the trigger, and pull the slide back and let it fly?

Yes

Also, I recently purchased a Crossbread supertuck, and it fits fairly well, but prints a decent amount, even with Big shirts. Now, I am not exactly a small man(5 11 250), but I was just wondering if theres a way to wear it where that doesnt happen(I have tried anywhere between 2 and 5 oclock)
    I typically carry mine at the 3 o'clock position and it prints a little but I don't really sweat it any.

Hope this helps

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    First, Welcome to INGO. You'll find a wealth of information here.

I think it would be in your best interest to get a bit of training. Basic pistol classes aren't hard to find. There are sources in/near Indy, and I can set you up a bit further north in Grant County, if you should be interested.

Again, welcome..... :yesway:

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    Be careful when racking slide, but as long as your finger is off the trigger you will be alright. Just make sure it's pointed in a safe direction ;)

rpcblast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    thx. I just remember reading something about pressing the grip safety causes a piece of the firing pin safety to go up which can be hit by the slide.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I just remember reading something about pressing the grip safety causes a piece of the firing pin safety to go up which can be hit by the slide.

If your Taurus is like a series 80 1911, then that's a concern only when removing, or re-installing the slide onto the frame.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    thx. I just remember reading something about pressing the grip safety causes a piece of the firing pin safety to go up which can be hit by the slide.
    That's bogus. Don't worry about the grip safety. You have to have a firm grip on the pistol when you rack the slide. The last thing you want is to drop your gun trying to not depress the grip safety. The grip safety interferes with the sear to prevent depressing the trigger. All that happens in the frame. The grip safety has no parts that contact the slide.

The exception is a Kimber 1911 with the II after the name. These have a Swartz safety where the firing pin is blocked until the grip safety is depressed. But depressing the grip safety moves the firing pin safety out of the way. I would think you could cause more problems on these guns by not depressing the grip safety and trying to rack the slide.

Again, depressing the grip safety causes the firing pin block to move out of the way.

Look at it this way. When you fire the pistol, the grip safety is depressed. And the slides racks itself really hard and fast.

Grip that gun. Rack the slide. Shoot and have fun, man.

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Also, I recently purchased a Crossbread supertuck, and it fits fairly well, but prints a decent amount, even with Big shirts.

When people first start to carry they exaggerate the amount the gun prints. It comes from being worried about people noticing it.
    Your actions will bring more attention to it, than it simply printing.
    With experience come confidence and you reach a point where you don't worry about it printing or you take the next step and start Open Carrying.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    When you fire the pistol, the grip safety is depressed

That's correct. However, when you remove or replace the slide, if you depress the grip safety on a series II Kimber, or on a series 80 Colt, it will cause the firing pin safety to impede the movement of the slide. I don't know about the Taurus, but rpcblast should make sure, one way or the other. before he damages something. If someone who owns a Taurus like his will chime in here, then he'll be all set..... safely.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've stopped worrying so much about printing, most people are clueless and those that are know enough to not bother me. Now if I were a NARC detective, I'd worry a little more about it.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    From the original question he was asking about chambering the first round.
    That is what my post was concerning.
    In that case, then yeah, pull it back and let 'er rip.

That's correct. However, when you remove or replace the slide, if you depress the grip safety on a series II Kimber, or on a series 80 Colt, it will cause the firing pin safety to impede the movement of the slide. I don't know about the Taurus, but rpcblast should make sure, one way or the other. before he damages something. If someone who owns a Taurus like his will chime in here, then he'll be all set..... safely.
    However, this is also true.
    So, when disassembling for cleaning then, be more careful.

rpcblast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    thanks for all the replies!. I have tried walking around the apartment with my 1911 cond. 1 (not loaded). and the one problem is when i sit alot, i sometimes end up causing the safety to flip off =(. Is this common? Any easy suggestions(IE am i maybe wearing it too low?)

Top Bottom