• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So its okay for the justice department to pick and choose what laws to enforce but how dare a lowly sheriff do the same thing.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    So its okay for the[STRIKE] justice department[/STRIKE] president to pick and choose what laws to enforce but how dare a lowly sheriff do the same thing.

The irony is thick. These people screaming about the sheriffs picking and choosing laws, while Obama blithely does what he wants with HIS law, and no outcry from this same group.

The commenters, not the sheriffs, are a disgrace to our nation.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    "3,445 checks on private sales since the law went into effect, he said, and has denied gun sales to 70 people". Really. So 2% (maybe) of the people who applied were inconvenienced. They had to follow up and find out why they were erroneously stopped. Why JJ! How can you say that?! Because there were ZERO convictions out of those 70 people initially refused and inconvenienced.

Perhaps the sheriffs should take note of the enforcement purists commenting and never give any of them a speeding warning even for 1mph over the limit. Reckless Driving convictions for every single "roll-through" at a stop sign. If pulled over, and a paper clip is laying on the floor - paraphernalia - lock 'em up! Step off the curb - JAY WALKING!!! I'd love to see how these enforcement purists would like 100% enforcement.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I saw that article yesterday. The claim that the law "is working" is ludicrous. The only thing it has done is forced law-abiding to comply (hence the increase in the number of checks for private sales) and the "improper" persons to obtain their firearms through non-legal means.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I saw that article yesterday. The claim that the law "is working" is ludicrous. The only thing it has done is forced law-abiding to comply (hence the increase in the number of checks for private sales) and the "improper" persons to obtain their firearms through non-legal means.

So, basically the same as all gun laws.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The sheriff has a laudable idea of not enforcing laws that violate the 2nd Amendment, but it won't really make any real impact unless the state police and metro police departments get on board and also stand by the position of not enforcing un-Constitutional laws. If and when--mostly if--such a unified front was presented to the legislators, there MIGHT be a chance that those elected imbeciles would at least look at a cliff-notes version of the Constitution and do something constructive about the laws they passed in defiance of it.

One small step in the right direction, but I'm not holding my breath for any of the rest of the journey toward rationality.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    As I was reading the comments to the story, it appears that the NY Times sorted comments by their "NY Times Picks". At least they are being neutral about their reporting.

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    The problem I find with articles like this and majority of the comments made, is that there are too many misguided statements that I would like to address. I simply do not have the time. Especially when doing so over the internet will have no impact. I am tired of people from different regions trying to subject the entire country to what they FEEL is right. Lets set aside the second amendment for a moment. If people in California really want strict gun control laws, more power to them. I don't live there, and I dont have to live there if I dont want to. The reason I dont want to live there is because of their laws. Instead I have chosen to live in Indiana where, for the most part, the political views of the majority match my own. Although we are one country, the culture varies significantly. So what makes people in California or New York think that they know what will work best for us? Diversity is all the rage these days. However, it seems to just be a word that people pretend to understand.

Please dont think that I hate people who choose not to exercise their second amendment right. Although, it does bother me when people have an irrational fear of guns, but Ill save that for another time. I could go one forever, but I really should be going. If something I have said needs more clarification, let me know. End of rant.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The problem I find with articles like this and majority of the comments made, is that there are too many misguided statements that I would like to address. I simply do not have the time. Especially when doing so over the internet will have no impact. I am tired of people from different regions trying to subject the entire country to what they FEEL is right. Lets set aside the second amendment for a moment. If people in California really want strict gun control laws, more power to them. I don't live there, and I dont have to live there if I dont want to. The reason I dont want to live there is because of their laws. Instead I have chosen to live in Indiana where, for the most part, the political views of the majority match my own. Although we are one country, the culture varies significantly. So what makes people in California or New York think that they know what will work best for us? Diversity is all the rage these days. However, it seems to just be a word that people pretend to understand.

Please dont think that I hate people who choose not to exercise their second amendment right. Although, it does bother me when people have an irrational fear of guns, but Ill save that for another time. I could go one forever, but I really should be going. If something I have said needs more clarification, let me know. End of rant.

THAT'S a rant?? 3/10

:):

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    When I read stories like this I am grateful that there are still people in law enforcement who are still willing to protect American's rights from politics gone berserk. On the other hand, the sheer ignorance (and arrogance) in so many of the comments is alarming (e.g. "if you need 20 rounds to bring down a deer you shouldn't own a gun" :facepalm:). This is why we can not become complacent and assume that things will work out and go our way in the end. We need to keep the pressure on our elected officials and continue making our voices heard.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    When I read stories like this I am grateful that there are still people in law enforcement who are still willing to protect American's rights from politics gone berserk. On the other hand, the sheer ignorance in so many of the comments is alarming, and a very good reason not to become complacent and assume things that things will work out and go our way in the end. We need to keep the pressure on our elected officials and make our voices heard.

It's not the ignorance that bothers me, but the desire these folks have to turn so many rights over to the government, in a desire to be "safe". They reallyare sheep. If I were one of them I would not bleat my impotence and cowardice so publicly.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good for them, and because they are talking about laws they can actually enforce its more than just showboating. Checks and balances at work, the executive branch playing its role, and if the assorted sheriffs get too far out of line with popular opinion, they can be removed.

The irony is thick. These people screaming about the sheriffs picking and choosing laws, while Obama blithely does what he wants with HIS law, and no outcry from this same group.

Of course the irony is just as thick the other way.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ion/323702-obama%92s-%91ignoring-laws%92.html

A thread which I believe you were a part of.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom