• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I agree that would be retarded to put it mildly, but from the article it doesn't seem to do that.

Per the article, it depends on who you ask:

“If a police officer transmits descriptions beyond clothing color they can be sued for racial profiling,” Thursday’s ad reads. “That’s dangerous for the public and police officers.”
    H

Police officers will continue to be able to use skin color and gender and age and height in suspect descriptions.

I don't know which is right (which is why I said "If this would actually..."). If it prohibits them from using a description to make a stop, that's retarded. If it just forbids racial profiling, I'm more than fine with that. We've already got such a general order in Indy and its never hampered us.

Anyone care to do the actual research past the headlines and see what this actually does?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't know which is right (which is why I said "If this would actually..."). If it prohibits them from using a description to make a stop, that's retarded. If it just forbids racial profiling, I'm more than fine with that. We've already got such a general order in Indy and its never hampered us.

Anyone care to do the actual research past the headlines and see what this actually does?

From my reading of the proposed bill, it seems to me to just prevent profiling. The part that I quoted from the article seems to be lifted directly from the bill. Here is a link to it.
    The New York City Council - File #: Int 1080-2013
    1. "[Racial or ethnic]Bias-based profiling" means an act of a member of the force of the police department or other law enforcement officer that relies on actual or perceived race, [ethnicity, religion or] national origin, color, creed, age, alienage or citizenship status, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or housing status as the determinative factor in initiating law enforcement action against an individual, rather than an individual's behavior or other information or circumstances that links a person or persons [of a particular race, ethnicity, religion national origin] to suspected unlawful activity.

Top Bottom