• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Why do pro-gun people always throw machine guns under the bus?

Wouldn't it be better to work for repealing '34, '68, and '86?

It's self serving and in our best interests. If machine guns were allowed then there would be a lot of half starved, ragged, homeless people because all their money went to ammo. :D

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    SockMonkey,

Thanks dude! I'm not on FB that much so the more folks we can get that link to the better.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    femurphy77,

Unfortunately, the local newspaper doesn't put anything on their website other than how to subscribe or place an ad. But here's the text of my letter:

Dear Editor,

I am sickened and dismayed that the media and members of Congress would even consider infringing upon the rights of common, hard working citizens such as myself who choose to legally own and possess firearms or place additional restrictions.

While Newtown was a tragedy, it has been blown entirely out of proportion by political factions across this country and has been used by the press, politicians and television media solely for their own personal gain and private agendas. It amazes me that if a criminal shoots someone it's plastered all over the evening news. However, if an armed citizen stops a violent crime in progress -- which happens almost daily -- it never sees the light of day and is quietly swept under the rug.

There are several false allegations and misrepresentations being circulated - mostly by the media and Senator Feinstein herself - that are factually inaccurate or just plain outright lies:

- - The weapons that the media are portraying as 'assault weapons' are in all actuality modern sporting rifles. While their appearance and some functionality was derived from military assault rifles, they are very different weapons. Contrary to false claims in the media and by some politicians, they do not fire hundreds of rounds in seconds. In fact, they are designed in a way that prevents them from ever even being converted into an automatic weapon. This style rifle is no more (or less) dangerous that any other rifle or handgun on the market – past or present. Its only crime is it looks like the ‘evil’ military rifle folks see on the news each evening. When, in reality it is far from the same weapon. If we start banning things based on how they look, what’s next… Banning all red cars because they look ‘fast’?

The main reason people like and purchase these particular rifles is because of their modular design. It allows the purchaser to customize them to his or her own needs (improve the ergonomics, change caliber or barrel length, etc.) all of which on other rifles would require expensive tools or gunsmithing skills.

- - It may surprise you to learn that 'STANDARD' capacity magazines are 12, 15, 17, up to 30 rounds. These are not 'high capacity' as some folks claim and in no way make any weapon more dangerous. By limiting capacity, you're just further endangering folks who depend on these weapons to protect themselves and their families when they're most needed.

- - The National Academy of Sciences, determined after a lengthy investigation following the 1994 weapons ban, that it had absolutely no effect reducing violent crime. In fact, in some areas, crime rates actually increased while the ban was in effect and later decreased when it expired.

In closing, please keep in mind that any restrictive measures enacted into law will only affect law abiding, legally licensed citizens such as myself and other readers. Connecticut, for example, already has some of toughest firearms restrictions in the country. Did any of those laws do anything whatsoever to protect the children or prevent the tragedy? No. If anything, all they did was allow a means for prosecution after the fact.

By very definition, the criminals that commit these terrible crimes are the ones who do not obey the laws we have. People, we don’t have a ‘gun’ problem… we have a ‘people’ problem. The only way to address it is going to be by enforcing the laws we currently have and educating and empowering the public - not creating new laws.

All gun owners - all true Americans - need stand up for their rights as citizens and force Congress to vote against all of these restrictive measures. We instead need to address the drugs, lack of parenting, and violence that has so corrupted our youth.

Viper,
    Thank you for penning this letter, and the petition. Very well articulated, and succinct.
    Please don't take the following as an insult, or belittling, but I do have a request.
    I am an NRA instructor, and as such, one of the first things they ask you to work on is semantics. In the text of your letter, you refer on several occasions to "weapons". The NRA has asked it's instructors to refrain from using an offensive connotation when referring to firearms. They ask that they rather be referred to in the defensive vernacular. In other words, the NRA would rather have you refer to them as "guns, firearms, side-arms, tools..." or whatever, but NOT "weapons."

I know it's a small detail, but it does make a difference to the woefully uninformed. A good number of people just have a negative feeling associated with the term "weapon."
    Appearances are everything sometimes. Just look at how we need to constantly correct the misconception about "assault rifles."

Anyway, I would ask all of my fellow gun-owners to think about the picture you are portraying about gun owners each and every time you speak to someone about firearms.
    Perceptions can make a huge difference.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Mgderf,

No offense taken... The way these crazy sheeple are acting everything counts!

But come on guys! We have 27000 members registered on here and we can't get 150 votes... That's sad!

Post the link on your Facebook, tweet it to your followers on Twitter and share it with every gun owner you know. We need to have a voice and it needs to be LOUD. Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines.

If we want things to happen in a FAVORABLE way for us it's up to us to engage folks, engage the media and. MAKE IT HAPPEN, PEOPLE!

Top Bottom