New Vortex 1-6 strike eagle. (budget 1-6)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    when did you all get so big that you need 87-90" (over 7 feet) of eye relief?

Good catch, I hadn't noticed that. Ive been looking through everything I have on those scopes, and I cant find that page. I saw the pic on the net, but it looks like a actual photo taken out of a book, and I dont have a copy of that book. I cant find anything I have that says what the eye relief is. I assumed it was the same as the rest of the line at 4 inch's.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I will say, if they let ME design the PST reticle, I probably wouldn't have gone all the way to .5. I would have probably gone to .3 (50% thicker) and twice as wide...

it occurs to me I was thinking 4x here, not 6x. .5 is probably perfect for 6.

Are you on settings 1-5 or 6-10? the first 5 are low light and leave only a hint of red. My PST is VERY bright on 6-10 settings and clearly visible even in bright sun light.

Thanks for the "pro tip." Turning it up hadn't occured to me. I'll try that.

Keep in mind folks it is impossible to please everyone. Anything you add or do better would raise the price and have folks complaining about that. When designing optics you strive to please 51%.

I certainly understand that. And most folks want a BDC even though they don't understand the drawbacks (only will match for loads in a certain range and locks you in on a zero). I REALLY liked the PST reticle and that nice uncluttered center dot w. The ring to help draw your eye to it. That dot is the aim point for 95%+ of my shooting. I was hoping they'd release a low-end 1-6, but now I'm holding off excitement until I see it, I may just like my 1-4 better overall....

A reticle, or eventually a reticle option(hint for vortex!), that's closer to the PST and I'd be all over it. I can't see how that would significantly drive cost.

-rvb

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I can't see how that would significantly drive cost.

-rvb

It absolutely would. I would guess this scope would be near 400 bucks with a PST style reticle. At 400 bucks some folks would like it better (Im actually one of them), but a most would go another route. I'm in the same boat as you as far as preferring a different reticle, but I've seen behind the curtain so to speak, and think this reticle will sell better.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It absolutely would. I would guess this scope would be near 400 bucks with a PST style reticle. .

Ok, I won't even to pretend to know what goes into etching reticles... I presumed in this day and age is was mostly done w. CAD systems and lasers and was just a matter of cutting masks or something... But for $400 w. A pst reticle I'd be on the phone w. You now giving you my CC # for a preorder. Now I'm in a wait/see.... I don't doubt these will sell like hot cakes and as I said above I understand BDCs are all the rage.

-rvb

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    DISCLAIMER: I'm new to this stuff.

I just ordered one of these for my Tavor (thanks, Alan!). Reading the manual, I think I figured this reticle out in "plain language"--the kind they really can't print in the reticle manual :) A quick play with Strelok+ and a man target confirms this:

The horizontal subtensions cover 18" at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards, respectively... Essentially, they're for easily ranging and holding over a shoulder-width target. Hold the subtension that matches the width of the target across the COM... couldn't be simpler or make more sense. It also just so happens that the halo is the width of the same target at 100 yards (and the same size as the head at 50...).

Sighted-in at 50 yards at AR-height (above bore axis), these hold-overs should come very close the yardages above. Mounting on a Tavor, where the optical axis is some 3.75" above the bore axis presents special challenges. The best I've worked out so far is to sight in at 100. This gives easy holdovers of 310, 420, 530, and 640 yards using generic 5.56 ballistic data I dredged up online. Shorter ranges also require holding over; I haven't worked those out yet (but they're well-matched to the range of the subtensions).

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    FYI, the subtensions mark 50, 35, 25, and 18 yards (working downward, of course). I post this only to highlight the peculiarities of mounting optics on the Tavor. Granted, it isn't a long range, precision rifle. Still, it's good to know these things.

Top Bottom