• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I would get online and find what you want on a lot and go there to get it. Some dealers are refusing to accept friends and family plans or B plan sales. In the case of Ford a plant employee he ordered a new bronco and when it was delivered the dealership canceled his order marked the truck up and sold it for way more to someone else. Obviously he is complaining but bottom line no truck for him. If China grabs up Taiwan then it’s checkmate. There will be no chips at all available. Good Luck!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wouldn't buy a new vehicle right now. The dealership has zero incentive to bargain. This chip shortage will ease, and the market will be flooded.
    No one selling anything, new or used, has any incentive to bargain. I would usually never consider a new vehicle, but with used, non-warranty trucks selling for $10-20k more than they were 18 months ago, new with a warranty and another 400,000 miles left in it may be the smart move at this point...if there is a smart move right now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No one selling anything, new or used, has any incentive to bargain. I would usually never consider a new vehicle, but with used, non-warranty trucks selling for $10-20k more than they were 18 months ago, new with a warranty and another 400,000 miles left in it may be the smart move at this point...if there is a smart move right now.
    Please reference the end of the movie War Games.

The only way to win is to not play.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Please reference the end of the movie War Games.

The only way to win is to not play.
    Agreed....and that is the strategy I am attempting to employ, but when you need a vehicle, you need a vehicle.

My truck will turn 218,000 miles tomorrow morning and is working great, but if it all goes to hell, the cost of dropping another 5.3L in a chassis where everything has over 200k makes less sense than "overpaying" for a different truck. My most fervent hope is to run the truck until there is some sort of normalization, but best laid plans....

I'm sensing that OP doesn't have the luxury of waiting this out.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    On a omewhat related note, my 2013 Chrysler T&C (252k miles) engine just **** the bed (started tying up and wouldn’t turn over so most likely a main or rod bearing). I’m spending $2k parts and labor to swap to a salvage engine with 137k miles on it. I’ll take my chances with that and try to keep this vehicle alive until my Cybertruck number comes up (probably 2023 or 2024 at this rate). If I pull the plug on the Cybertruck it’s another minivan for me (most likely a Kia Carnival at this point). But yeah, things are nuts right now and I’m hoping to stay out this market until things settle down a bit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You know this how exactly? We may well be in a permanent shortage of everything except for "money".
    And the dealers have already said they are learning from this on how to make less, targeting models, and relying less on the "start high and drop the price and incentivize until we can get rid of it" method they've used for decades.

And if they would just price them reasonably, and knock off the games, I wouldnt mind. I really liked the way Saturn did it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You know this how exactly? We may well be in a permanent shortage of everything except for "money".
    I don't know about permanent, as I always say everything in this world is temporary.

But this shortage could definitely last long enough for them to get the driving a dirty ol truck Penalty Tax added into the cost somewhere. :tinfoil:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Eligible Costco members who purchase or lease a select, new Chevrolet model* by Jan. 3, 2022 can receive a member‑only incentive:​
    •​
    •​
    Plus, manufacturer incentives for which you may qualify
    Which they probably arent offering because they dont NEED to. They arent begging people to buy cars like they were 2 years ago. There are more cars than buyers right now, so its a seller's market. If you dont buy because you dont like the price/lack of incentives, there will be another buyer along shortly who is willing desperate.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "There are more cars than buyers right now, so its a seller's market."

:scratch: Wouldn't it be just the opposite? There are more buyers than cars. Demand is high and supply is low, so it's a seller's market.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I don't know about permanent, as I always say everything in this world is temporary.

But this shortage could definitely last long enough for them to get the driving a dirty ol truck Penalty Tax added into the cost somewhere. :tinfoil:
    I better start washing my trucks more often. I don't need penalties for driving it dirty.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I better start washing my trucks more often. I don't need penalties for driving it dirty.
    The standards are different depending on your area. In our area you probably have a long way to go, but still get them babies washed so they will stick around for a long time. Cole is gonna need something to drive.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The standards are different depending on your area. In our area you probably have a long way to go, but still get them babies washed so they will stick around for a long time. Cole is gonna need something to drive.
    He's already driving them around the yard. It is probably not good that he knows which key goes in which ignition...and how to turn them. I have some interesting pictures on my trail cameras. He and grandpa have fun while I am at work. STC_0111.JPG

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    And the dealers have already said they are learning from this on how to make less, targeting models, and relying less on the "start high and drop the price and incentivize until we can get rid of it" method they've used for decades.

And if they would just price them reasonably, and knock off the games, I wouldnt mind. I really liked the way Saturn did it.
    If you try to buy a new car right now that is exactly how they do it.

Look at the window sticker price, add 10% and you either buy it at that price or you do not get it. Ask me how I know!

Top Bottom