New to this site, new to firearms in general.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    just wanted to drop a line and say hello. New to the firearms. thought this would be a good place to find information on what kind of handgun I might want and maybe even find a good deal, once i figure out what all the abbreviations mean in the for sale section.

while i am typing. I am applying for my carry permit this week. if i find a good deal before i get my permit, whats the legal way to get it back to my residents.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    :welcome: to the site and to firearms in general. I am fairly certain that prior to receiving your LTCH you may transport firearm back to your residence unloaded in the trunk but others will probably post exact details and cite the applicable laws. Many good threads to read in response to your other questions. Search out 4 basic firearms safety rules and pursue other training/practice as well. Glad you're here!:)

Edit: Jeff Cooper's rules of gun safety https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ate_col_jeff_cooper_shooter_trainer_hero.html

Last edited:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Welcome!

If you purchase from a store, they will let you know about taking the gun(s) back to your residence without a permit.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Welcome.

Here is a thread where carry to range without a permit was discussed. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._self_defense/4005-transporting_firearms.html

I don't think a conclusion was reached, although I queried a few police officers that are stationed are our building (almost always have an off duty PD officer) and all of them stated that you would be fine with ammo up front and pistols in cases in trunk. Permit is the best bet, because it removes ambiguity and assures that your legal butt is covered.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    thought this would be a good place to find information on what kind of handgun I might want.

if i find a good deal before i get my permit, whats the legal way to get it back to my residents.

Try as many different guns as you can, a good place to do that without irritating the shop owners is the Indy 1500. If you can get someone to let you shoot it even better. Many times, if you take a NRA Basic course the instructors will have several, and they are (well, at least we are) amenable to let you try out a few.

It is important that the gun you choose fits you (feels good in you hand, you shoot it well, are comfortable shooting it, and you can reach and easily manipulate all the controls), is of good quality, is easy to operate in a stressful situation, and is easy to care for.

In Indiana it is legal to transport (Indiana law doesn't really distinguish between "transport" and "carry") a handgun "in a secure wrapper" (lock it in the trunk) "from the place of purchase" to your "dwelling or fixed place of business" without a license.

If you purchase from a private individual (FTF), you can protect yourself by asking the seller for a bill of sale with the date, seller's name, address, DL#, your name, and model/serial # of the gun. This will show that you have just purchased the gun, and you're going home.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom