• 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I just bought my first revolver! :rockwoot:

I have been a semi-auto fan so far and have limited experience with wheel guns (have shot a few.38/.357 and .44 mags, but not a lot). Any tips/recommendations from you wheel gun guys out there? BTW, my new toy is a 6" Taurus Model 44 in .44 Mag/.44 Special. :draw:
    I enjoy shooting my S&W 629 and have always loved the wheelguns. Semi-autos are cool too. Oh heck what am I saying they all are:rockwoot:

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Thanks for the pic. That seems like a true working gun.

I was unaware of the variety of ammo! What are these wax bullets you speak of????:dunno:

Top of page 4 I mentioned them. I learned about it years ago from a Bill Jordan book.

Not really reloading, as there is no powder. You just knock out the old primer, open up the flash hole a bit, push the brass into a block of paraffin wax to make the "slug", and then re-prime the brass.

More detailed how-to here:

Cheap Shooting with Wax Bullets :: Articles :: guns.freaksho.net

You can buy them online, I guess trick shooters and quick draw Cowboy Action Shooter types practice with them sometimes, but they are expensive. Doing it yourself lets you shoot for about a nickel a round, and its pretty accurate up close. Most any store that sells canning stuff sells paraffin. Its simple to do and its a ton of fun.

Oh, last thing, with revolvers with a swing out cylinder, don't be Hollywood and close the cylinder with a flip of your wrist. Its rough on the crane. One of those things you'll probably get away with more times than not, but it is putting undue wear on the gun as opposed to closing the cylinder the right way.

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    Top of page 4 I mentioned them. I learned about it years ago from a Bill Jordan book.

Not really reloading, as there is no powder. You just knock out the old primer, open up the flash hole a bit, push the brass into a block of paraffin wax to make the "slug", and then re-prime the brass.

More detailed how-to here:

Cheap Shooting with Wax Bullets :: Articles :: guns.freaksho.net

You can buy them online, I guess trick shooters and quick draw Cowboy Action Shooter types practice with them sometimes, but they are expensive. Doing it yourself lets you shoot for about a nickel a round, and its pretty accurate up close. Most any store that sells canning stuff sells paraffin. Its simple to do and its a ton of fun.

Oh, last thing, with revolvers with a swing out cylinder, don't be Hollywood and close the cylinder with a flip of your wrist. Its rough on the crane. One of those things you'll probably get away with more times than not, but it is putting undue wear on the gun as opposed to closing the cylinder the right way.

Looks like it time to experiment a tad. Thanks for the heads up!

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    I took my new Taurus to the range today. IT WAS A BLAST TO SHOOT! (no pun intended) I have officially been bit by the big bore revolver bug. I was shooting the un-coated wad cutter bullets, and wanted to try something a little more potent. The Hornaday LEVERevolutions are monster! :D

With that being said, do I need to be cautious to what ammo I shoot out of my gun? Is it possible that some rounds are too hot that could damage my gun? (I am NOT using reloads :rolleyes:)

Top Bottom