• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I also bought my first revolver this last weekend. 357/38. Single action Stainless Ruger Blackhawk. It's a fun gun to shoot. I will follow this post and see what ideals come up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When you open the cylinder, and swing it away from the gun...
    DON'T SLAM IT OPEN.

That's my advice on a wheel gun.
    If you're gonna reload, find a class here on INGO.
    You can teach yourself with videos and books also, but personal instruction is better.
    If you reload..... PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
    If you're watching TV, or talking to a friend, you're not paying attention.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I really do not want to thread jack but, forty cents a round equals out to twenty dollars for fifty rounds. The box I recomended earlier was twenty four dollars. Time=money. It takes time to reload, even at minimum wage it cost twenty seven dollars to reload 44 mag. Or you can buy a box of jhps for twenty four. So how is reloading always cheaper?

For the op, congrats on your purchase and enjoy shooting as much as you want. I think this will be the first of many revolvers for you.

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    To act like Dirty Harry, you just need 5 fired rounds and 1 unfired round. Then just ask people if they feel lucky. :D

What are you wanting to do with the revolver?

Carry for defense - Speed loader or two is a good idea. Scope generally isn't used.

Hunt with it - Scope will make you capable at a longer distance with less practice. Speed loaders aren't really needed.

I'm looking to just have fun. I doubt I will carry it, but if I find the right shoulder rig, it might be an option. What about aftermarket grips? The Taurus factory ones seem a little on the hard/thin side...

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Congrats on the model 44. My first revolver was a taurus 606. aftermarket grips were few and far between. so i made my own. You dont have to do this. there seems to be a good selection for you.
    Medium and Large Frame Round Butt : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!
    I am now getting a taurus 85, my choices have broadened quite a bit.

just in case you were curious, these are what i made.
    2011-08-09185217_Indianapolis_Indiana_US.jpg
    2011-08-24000820_Indianapolis_Indiana_US.jpg

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    When you open the cylinder, and swing it away from the gun...
    DON'T SLAM IT OPEN.

That's my advice on a wheel gun.
    If you're gonna reload, find a class here on INGO.
    You can teach yourself with videos and books also, but personal instruction is better.
    If you reload..... PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
    If you're watching TV, or talking to a friend, you're not paying attention.
    In addition to this, DON'T slam it CLOSED, either..... :twocents:

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    most reloader of 44 mag seem to load lead. unjacketed.
    yes ammo is dangerous too, but i cant blow up my home because i accidently droped a lit cigerette into a ammo box.
    you forgot the litature on how to reload.
    I taught myself, is like the first thing the nurse at the hospital hears as the man with a missing finger or hand gets out of the ambulance.

How do you know what most 44 mag reloaders use? Out of curiosity, what is your experience with reloading?

As for literature, Lee press kit comes with the "Modern Reloading" book, or at least it did when I bought mine. If it doesn't, $20 buys a reloading guide on Amazon.

If you are smoking over an open jar of powder, yes, you are too dumb to reload. You also shouldn't be trusted with gasoline, so I hope you mow your yard with a reel mower and drive an all electric car. Paint thinner is out, too, and probably rubbing alcohol.

Its ok to not want to reload, but frankly your fears seem overblown as to both how complicated and how dangerous it really is.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Does anybody have any recommendations in terms of accessories? Speed loaders, sights, scopes, holsters (if I want to act like Dirty Harry!) What do you think I need???

I have a couple of HKS speedloaders for my S&W 66 Combat Magnum. They work great.

I also have a very nice Goodrich and Gould left handed thumb break holster for it as well.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Time=money. It takes time to reload, even at minimum wage it cost twenty seven dollars to reload 44 mag. Or you can buy a box of jhps for twenty four. So how is reloading always cheaper?

For the op, congrats on your purchase and enjoy shooting as much as you want. I think this will be the first of many revolvers for you.

I guess it costs you $7/hr to read these forums, then. Same logic. Opportunity costs only enter the picture if you would otherwise occupy your time making that money. If I'm reloading instead of watching TV, I'm not giving up your hypothetical minimum wage.

Anyway, if you want to practice with your revolver really cheaply, buy some magnum primers and some paraffin wax. I read about the concept in a Bill Jordan book years ago.

Here's a good primer, so to speak:
    Cheap Shooting with Wax Bullets :: Articles :: guns.freaksho.net

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    How do you know what most 44 mag reloaders use? Out of curiosity, what is your experience with reloading?

As for literature, Lee press kit comes with the "Modern Reloading" book, or at least it did when I bought mine. If it doesn't, $20 buys a reloading guide on Amazon.

If you are smoking over an open jar of powder, yes, you are too dumb to reload. You also shouldn't be trusted with gasoline, so I hope you mow your yard with a reel mower and drive an all electric car. Paint thinner is out, too, and probably rubbing alcohol.

Its ok to not want to reload, but frankly your fears seem overblown as to both how complicated and how dangerous it really is.
    first because i talk to alot of reloaders, thats how.
    second of course only a moron would smoke in or around gun powder, that was not the arguement. it was if reloading materials are just as safe as loaded ammo, clearly they are not. and it is not fear that causes me not to reload. i am realistic and honest with myself. it would cost me more to reload, than it would to just buy ammo. I think there are alot of people like this.
    i am not saying there is anything wrong with reloading. go back and reread, cause you missed something. op asked what he should do with his 44mag, and the very next person said you need to start reloading. this is a lie. he knows nothing about the ops personality, and or needs. to make a suggestion like this based on nothing is giving bad advice. and it can be dangerous.
    i have proven clearly that in this case, not all cases, but this case, reloading would cost more than buying ammo outright. if you would like to disprove this, then you may try.

for all the reloaders out there, once again i have no problem with reloading. their are hundreds of calibers where reloading is not only the best option, it is the only option.
    plus it works well for someone with alot of different calibers, cause alot of equipment is interchangable, so switching to different calibers is very easy. i do not now nor have i ever had a problem with reloaders. i do have a problem with people thinking what works for them, will work for everyone else. their right, your wrong. period.

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    first because i talk to alot of reloaders, thats how.
    second of course only a moron would smoke in or around gun powder, that was not the arguement. it was if reloading materials are just as safe as loaded ammo, clearly they are not. and it is not fear that causes me not to reload. i am realistic and honest with myself. it would cost me more to reload, than it would to just buy ammo. I think there are alot of people like this.
    i am not saying there is anything wrong with reloading. go back and reread, cause you missed something. op asked what he should do with his 44mag, and the very next person said you need to start reloading. this is a lie. he knows nothing about the ops personality, and or needs. to make a suggestion like this based on nothing is giving bad advice. and it can be dangerous.
    i have proven clearly that in this case, not all cases, but this case, reloading would cost more than buying ammo outright. if you would like to disprove this, then you may try.

for all the reloaders out there, once again i have no problem with reloading. their are hundreds of calibers where reloading is not only the best option, it is the only option.
    plus it works well for someone with alot of different calibers, cause alot of equipment is interchangable, so switching to different calibers is very easy. i do not now nor have i ever had a problem with reloaders. i do have a problem with people thinking what works for them, will work for everyone else. their right, your wrong. period.

Boys, boys, boys! I think that the relaoding situation has been made clear! :rolleyes:

I was hoping to hear from some revolver fans about what an inexperienced revolver guy should know from some vets. I plan on buying factory ammo, but reloading is always an option.

With that said, what will make my revolver-owning journey better?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Be vary careful with your grip on revolvers. Those used to thumbs forwards semi-auto pistol grips can push the offhand thumb forward of the cylinder. This puts it in the area where hot gasses come out in the cylinder and barrel junction. People have completely severed thumbs with either the 500 or 460 S&W (forget which).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUiRoggh2Y

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Boys, boys, boys! I think that the relaoding situation has been made clear! :rolleyes:

I was hoping to hear from some revolver fans about what an inexperienced revolver guy should know from some vets. I plan on buying factory ammo, but reloading is always an option.

i am truly sorry that we stole your thread. it was not my intention.
    a revolver is a simple tool. lets keep it simple. ammo maybe a couple of speed loaders if that is your thing. i suggest wood grips, but this is a personal opinion, i just think they look nicer. a good hoster is also good.
    taurus 44 | eBay
    check it out, you might find something perfect, and remember to post some pics. i would like to see it.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012

Find a grip (and set of grips) that works for you and don't feel you have to grip it the same way you do a SA. I like "cup and saucer" for revolvers, personally, but some will tell you that's outdated and there are better options. They may be right, but I find it comfortable and it keeps your fingers away from places they might not want to be when the hammer falls (see post above about that)

Take advantage of the versatility a revolver offers. Like the wax bullets for cheap and quiet practice in your basement, soft .44 specials for funning around with targets, full house .44 magnum for bringing down real targets, and snake shot for having a really little shotgun.

This is my farm gun:

621939_347918258624028_1445065845_o.jpg

Its an old single action .44 magnum with no transfer bar, so I only carry it loaded with 5. First two are snake shot for the odd copperhead lurking about, the other 3 are hollow points, for bigger types of snakes that might be lurking about. Round selection is as easy as half cocking and rotating the cylinder. (Make sure you know which way your cylinder rotates, some makes rotate clockwise and others counter-clockwise). You can't do that with a semi-auto.

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    i am truly sorry that we stole your thread. it was not my intention.
    a revolver is a simple tool. lets keep it simple. ammo maybe a couple of speed loaders if that is your thing. i suggest wood grips, but this is a personal opinion, i just think they look nicer. a good hoster is also good.
    taurus 44 | eBay
    check it out, you might find something perfect, and remember to post some pics. i would like to see it.

No big deal, it just shows you are passionate about your views!

I'll throw up some picks once I have some time.

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    Find a grip (and set of grips) that works for you and don't feel you have to grip it the same way you do a SA. I like "cup and saucer" for revolvers, personally, but some will tell you that's outdated and there are better options. They may be right, but I find it comfortable and it keeps your fingers away from places they might not want to be when the hammer falls (see post above about that)

Take advantage of the versatility a revolver offers. Like the wax bullets for cheap and quiet practice in your basement, soft .44 specials for funning around with targets, full house .44 magnum for bringing down real targets, and snake shot for having a really little shotgun.

This is my farm gun:

621939_347918258624028_1445065845_o.jpg

Its an old single action .44 magnum with no transfer bar, so I only carry it loaded with 5. First two are snake shot for the odd copperhead lurking about, the other 3 are hollow points, for bigger types of snakes that might be lurking about. Round selection is as easy as half cocking and rotating the cylinder. (Make sure you know which way your cylinder rotates, some makes rotate clockwise and others counter-clockwise). You can't do that with a semi-auto.

Thanks for the pic. That seems like a true working gun.

I was unaware of the variety of ammo! What are these wax bullets you speak of????:dunno:

Top Bottom