• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ibdiving

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    lafayette
    I'm new to prepping and I was wondering what the first thing I should start my preps off with?
    Also how do you network with people to get into a prepper community.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    $$'s determine where you start. Shelter, Food, Water, Self Defense are all concerns. Internet is a Community, Plan and then follow thru. Buying a few extra foodstuffs every week will get you going. Knowledge is key.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    don't go nuts, just start collecting a few extra things each time you go to the store and squirrel them around your house.

cheap meds on sale
    ramen noodles
    $0.33 canned goods
    cases of cheap bottled water or 1gal water jugs
    bulk pack of cheap LED flashlights
    bulk packs of batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9V)
    tea candles
    cutlery, kitchen knives, pocket knives
    rope/string
    sotrage containers, rubbermaid...
    oil lamps/oil
    Blankets

Think about what you would do without power and heat in the winter for 3 days.

Then have fun organizing it all.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    FEMA has a pretty good starter kit item list on their site. The absolute minimum preps in my opinion. If you don't have that, it's a good place to start.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    That depends on what you are familiar with and what you intend to do with them. Reguardless, if you are new to guns as well you need training. Especially on safety and function. But I commend you on your awakening to a need to get prepared. I second the FEMA list to start with and the extra can of something every shopping trip.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    .22 rifle would be good for hunting small game and it's more affordable. Shotgun is good for defense and hunting. And try out some handguns at a range to get a feel for it. Also get your LTCH or License to Carry a Handgun.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I'm former military so I'm comfortable with just about and weapon.
    .223 or 7.62?

Whatever you're more comfortable with. Since you're former US military (thank you for your service) I would imagine you're more familiar with .223 but a semi-auto rifle in either caliber would do great.

I started prepping on a budget so my first main rifle caliber was 7.62x54r. When I eventually got an SKS, I added 7.62x39 and those two calibers leave me prepared for basically anything.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You have asked a very broad question for which there is no 'one size fits all' answer. Good questions to refine the larger question are where you live (i.e., rural, suburbs, urban, inner city cesspit), what types of things are you comfortable doing (i.e., are you capable of gardening, maybe even farming, or are you going to have to live on what you have in the pantry for the duration), and your financial means.

I am not going to reiterate the advice previously given, but you have to assess what applies to you. As for the arms, go with what you are comfortable with, and what those you may arm (wife, children) are comfortable with. I recommend that you find food you LIKE which can be stored and rotated as you use it like normal. Spending a few years in a bunker eating MREs does not sound like the way I want to ride out the storm.

My broad answer to a broad question is to build supplies as your means allow which will allow you to live as close to your normal standards as possible. Needless to say, maintaining your habits of eating regularly and living indoors are at the top of the list. How comfortably and how close to your normal habits you are even when succeeding at this are points where your mileage may vary. How much variation you can accept is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

Revisiting the weapons, I recommend that once you have a good rifle, shotgun, and handgun you focus more on ammunition than adding more guns given that, as you are well aware, one gun you can feed will defend you much better than a dozen empties. My personal standard is 10K rounds for your primary rifle, but that may well not be feasible. One tenth that will probably last you a while so long as you don't live in the middle of someplace like Detroit. The food won't help you if you can't defend yourself to retain it and to remain alive. Weapons won't help when you are starving. It is all a balance and more of a guess than a science unless you have the clairvoyant powers to see exactly how 'it' is going to go down and plan around that knowledge.

Best wishes and good luck!

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I'm new to prepping too, so my opinion probably carries no weight. That being said, I'd say start with the most obvious, most probable things that will happen. For example, being without power for several days due to thunderstorms/snow storms (including not being able to cook food easily and limited access to water, if you're on a well). Last week, during my nearly 5 day power outage, I didn't need any of my weapons, but I'm thankful for a propane generator, gas fireplace and easily prepared food. Eventually I'll do more complex preps but there's no sense in preparing for zombies if a simple power outage, water line rupture, snow drifts, or flooding is going to throw you for a loop.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    ready.gov was mentioned. I'm a fan of survival blog and have his books. Ease into I would recommend being wary of letting the wrong people (people you think you know) know about your preps. Gun culture is a decent but by no means final point. Their is also the east side prepper store which holds classes now and again. Or reloading classes could be another way of easing into it.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    gathering materials is fine, but I think the best place to start is with education and training.

Good advise given by everyone but obijohn nailed it. Wrapping your head around what you are preparing for and giving yourself the skills to use what materials you do have is the most important step. With out it all of the stuff in the world won't help much. Being prior military you are, mindset wise, starting in a really good place. If it's more than just you how are the other?

The FEMA list is a great starting point as mentioned. It is also very important to honestly assess the capabilities and limitations of you and your family and tailor your planning for that. Any serious physical or medical limitations in the group need to thought about early on so you can make sure your planning meets those needs.

As said before a lot also depends on the environment you're in and what you are preparing for. Just 3-5 days of no travel or power due to a storm or something longer than that.

A gun or 3 (scaled to the number of folks), adequate ammo and the ability to use it effectively are important. What you are comfortable with and can afford will dictate but there is no need to buy absurdly expensive cutting edge weaponry (unless you just want to!). The old saying "Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it" has much truth. A modest but capable weapon you have mastered is better than a safe full of cool guy stuff that's never been fired.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    First, do you and your family have a plan in case of regular emergencies? Where would you all meet up if your house was destroyed in a tornado and you couldn't navigate home because all the landmarks are gone? What do you all do if your house is on fire? Start with the most likely emergency events first and then start listing and planning for less likely events. Have you prepared for a home invasion by locking doors and windows when home? Keep bushes down around your windows and make sure your house is well lit outside at night? Does your family have a emergency word or phrase that only you all will know and cause an immediate actioned response?
    What do you use in your house monthly now? Buy an extra of each item when you visit the store. What meds and foods do you eat when your sick? Buy extra now. Do you have any health issues that require regular meds? Ask your doctor if an extra prescription for emergencies or out of country travel is possible.
    save your milk jugs and or 2 litter bottles and sterilize them with bleach and fill them with tap water. Keep them stored in a cool dark dry place
    do you have a heater that doesn't require electricity in case the power goes out?
    keep you cars fuel tank over half full always.
    keep a small kit in your car wit enough food water, shelter, to get you home from your farther regular travel point.
    keep some quarters and smaller bills in the bag for vending or personal sales where change might not be available, also enough to buy you some gas if you forget your wallet or become stranded and run out of fuel.
    Some blankets, a shovel and some portable heat for winter weather and extra water and sun shelter for hot summer weather?
    Do you carry a gun and knife daily? A List of meds and important contact info in your wallet incase your incapacitated?

Thats just a few things to get you started. I have just listed things off the top of my head and I'm sure have missed other important things. Try to get the people in your extended family and your friends on board to prep before you try and reach out to others you don't yet know. Also the more squared away you are the more likely others who are prepared will want to link up with you. Dead weight is easy to find, no one needs dead weight. Don't forget to train your brain and practice with your gear. Even the best Stuff is just stuff until you know how to use it to help you.

and in closing, yes .22 is great for some small game but do you already have land? If you do and thousand of hungry people invaded your land to hunt for food would you like that and do you think the small amount of animals you see even now would sustain hundreds or thousands of people?
    The only thing you can fall back on is what you prepare for now.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Tigger Time, hit on your number 1 need bar none warmth. If you do not have good warm clothing ,your doomed. Does not take long for hypothermia to set in and you can not do anything.Eat, drink ,defend yourself and loved ones, forgot it. In winter if you can not stay in your home you need to dress in layers ,good boots hats face masks ect.{ STAY AWAY FROM COTTON } . Keep these cloths where you can get to them quickly . Water is number 2, I recommend a life straw for all your loved ones . You will need more water then you think .Food is number 3 what ever you can afford , rotate it so it never goes bad {this could be a long subject } stay away from MRE s . 4 Defense ,and hunting . 22 yes can Carrie lots of ammo ,good for small game [I like the Ruger 10/22 take down] also any thing NATO . I am X army and love the ARs ,well placed shots can take a deer [and more] Again NATO handgun calibers 9MM 45 ect. Why? because all NATO rounds should be easier to find.That,s my 2 cents , Takes time to cover all your bases . GOOD LUCK

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I think a person should start by making sure their family has enough food/medicine/water/heat to be able to stay in their house during the coldest or hottest part of the year for two weeks without externally supplied utilities (no electricity, gas, city water, etc).

After you are prepared for two weeks, prep out to a month. That way, if you get hit with a blizzard that knocks out the electricity and makes the roads impassable for a week or more, you're set.

There are a million skills to learn and tons of preps you could stock, but for starters, I really think a person should be able to hunker down for a few weeks if needed.

Top Bottom