• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    I have an argentenian 1909 mauser that has been semi sporterized(30-06). It is numbers matching other than the sporter style stock which is very nice. The only concerning issue is the condition of the bore. I guess this rifle was in a storage unit in an old gun case for a while. The bore has alot of surface rust yet the grooves look to be fairly deep. I would really like this rifle to be a shooter but im not looking to dump money into it. Is it even recommended that i shoot 30-06 in this rifle since the bore is a little bigger than 30cal? What is it going to take to make it usable and safe?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am somewhat confused here...if it is a 30-06 then standard 30-06 ammo should be the only thing you should shoot in it. Are you certain it is chambered for the 30-06 cartridge, is it marked on the barrel 30-06?

Rust is easily removed by using some 0000 steel wool on a tight brush, soak in oil and scrub the bore from the chamber end.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    It has 30-06 on the barrel which tells me when it was sporterized they also reamed the chamber to fit the 30-06 case. It is originally 7.65x53. Which means the bore is slightly larger than the 30cal bullet. As I said. It was a very popular mauser conversion as 30-06 was plentiful and cheap.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    Any suggestions on how to break up some of the stubborn rust in the bore?

im thinking i may have to rebarrel. I read somewhere that you can rethread a remington 700 barrel and it will work with the mauser action. I found a 1909 argentine barrel for $50, but I would rather have a .308 bore rather than .311. If it is cost effective. Any suggestions on this?

Top Bottom